The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Fish Tacos »

Straight up, it's not great. I'm primarily going after deep space objects (DSO) first because that's where my interests lie, but typically planetary telescopes are all about large apertures first and then longer focal lengths that can take advantage of the higher resolution and tons of light that aperture buys you (if you're like me and enjoy learning about the physics behind this stuff, look up the diffraction limit for an optical system, then if you're REALLY interested look up the atmospheric floor on the minimum arc seconds per pixel that we can't overcome unless we're in space). For planetary imaging a lot of folks actually use higher end webcams to record video and then stack the individual frames (a clip a few mins long can give you 5000 frames) using programs to select the best 500 maybe and interpolation software to actually 'derotate' the planet so features or moons that move can be lined up and still have their signal added to the final product.

They do this because atmospheric scintillation effects can get pretty severe like in the image below which would effectively ruin any long exposure like you want to do with any DSO.

But yeah, long story short, the 94 mm aperture scope I have isn't great for planets. I was using Jupiter that same night actually because the ISO value on my ancient camera only goes up to 1600 and it was the only thing bright enough that I could see in Live View to focus on. I just happened to take a 35 sec sub @ 100 ISO that night so you can see what it looks like with 3 moons (the third one is in there if you zoom in, but it's kinda lost in the brightness of the planet otherwise).

Comparatively, through the 16 inch Celestron SCT we have on the roof of our society's observatory dating back to 1967, I have been able to see something similar to this image except with 4 moons.

I've been getting pretty into this stuff for a bit, so I kinda tell people more than they really asked for :lol

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: but maybe not!

Post by zazthespaz »

I'm intrigued as a minor photography and astronomy nerd. You said you took a 90 minute exposure (right? I read that right didn't I?). How do you keep the lens focused on the object for that long and that accurate? I imagine things are moving pretty fast in that time frame that the lens needs to slowly and consistently be moving to keep from blurring.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Almost right! Ninety minutes of exposure time, not 1 single exposure. For the signal to noise ratio, one 5 minute exposure is equivalent to stacking five 1 minute exposures so you can stack as much time as you need to get the details you want.

What you're saying is 100% correct that over time you lose accuracy. Focus isn't as much of a problem once you have it in the region but there's a whole mess of things that will ruin your accuracy. The mount itself tracks at the rate the earth turns but there's periodic error in the gears on the mount, there's the inherent error in the accuracy of the mechanisms themselves, error in your polar alignment which is the basis for the coordinate system your mount uses (you kinda aim for the north star but in reality Polaris actually does little donuts around it) and then there's the accuracy of your calibration on where your mount thinks it is in the world and where it should be looking. Probably a few more I haven't learned about yet too. At shorter focal lengths, these errors aren't very pronounced, but at longer focal lengths the same error becomes more pronounced because it's over a greater distance. You can take shorter exposures to compensate which is what I'm doing now at 45 seconds a pop or your can get better gear.

There are autoguiders that are a secondary camera with a wider field of view than your primary (sometimes you have a secondary scope for them) that latch onto a guide star of your choosing and try to keep it centered in its sights. They tell your mount if it's moving too fast or too slow to keep the guide star centered and compensate for a good chunk of error and I think the software runs on your laptop. Usually imagers will see a substantial jump in image quality especially at higher focal lengths once they start doing it. Additionally there are higher precision research grade mounts that have better manufacturing, instrumentation, software and alignment processes that actually map the sky which will help eliminate drift so you can shoot up to 15 minutes for one exposure. This bad boy here is owned by someone in our society for the low, low price of $9.000 https://www.optcorp.com/software-bisque ... gQodXgkOzQ. And that's not even counting the rest of his gear. His tripod for example that this mount goes on is another 2k I believe :lol overall he probably has 20-25k worth of equipment including his 5k monochrome CCD camera, the filter wheel, his laptop, his telescope, his guide camera, his guide scope, any software he has to pay for and any cables / eyepieces / field flatteners / etc that he uses.

But once you know what you're doing and have the right equipment, you can get some baller images like this one that probably requires around 10 grand worth of equipment looking at the list of the guy that posted it. I'd love to get to this point some day.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Holy crap, those are some cool pics, Tacos. It sounds like a very steep learning curve, not to mention how much you need to invest. But it looks pretty cool even now. Would be really awesome if you get to that point like this pic above.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I just wanna play pokemon

Post by zazthespaz »

Anyone have GBA4ios? I've been looking at it, but am skeptical to put it on my phone.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

And somebody just said it was a nerd zone :lol :lol

Fish Tacos, your shots are amazing. I don’t even try to comprehend all those technical details but the photos look magical.
How are you able to focus on all those camera settings etc. when you take them? I would probably just stare in awe, the space is so beautiful and makes me feel so small… Terrifying. And philosophical. The most basic questions come to my mind when I look at them – where are we from, where are we heading, who was able to create it and what for?…

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Thanks Lotha :D I occasionally read "if you were looking for a cheap hobby, this isn't it", but honestly, unless you're gonna take up by the numbers needlepoint I feel like most things we're interested in require investments in time and money to master. Hopefully it will be well spent!

@Tigra I actually don't see too much besides stars when I'm shooting, sometimes I have to take a 30 second shot just to see if my target is even actually in the frame on my laptop. That's why I like the imaging aspect because I can see so much more with long exposures than I could ever with my naked eye. But yeah, I really love the idea that there's so many beautiful things hanging over our heads all the time that are just out of reach and that through this hobby I can catalog them.

That being said though a decent pair binoculars is a fun way to get into the hobby. You can learn the night sky and see some things like the Pleiades in pretty decent detail.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Where's that nearest wormhole?

Post by gbruin »

Amazing pics, FT. Great to see you back here! Keep 'em coming.

Man, I would love it if we (meaning mankind, but I'm ready to go) can get out there in my lifetime.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

There's this really cool idea called Project Starshot that could potentially get to another solar system and send us pictures within 24 years of leaving. Using small technology and not having to worry about carrying humans, propulsion, or survivability they can get the entire payload down to a few grams and a few centimeters. Once it's deployed in space, it opens up something similar to a solar sail that a phased array on Earth can propel with a shaped laser and can theoretically get the craft up to 1/5th the speed of light. Alpha Centauri is 4 lightyears away, so it would take 20 years to get there and 4 years for the pictures it takes and transmits to get back to us at which point the same phased array acts as a massive receiver.

So it might be quite a while for people to actually travel there but our science might get there in our lifetime! Not sure why it doesn't have any funding yet. It's got a pretty impressive team from all over including places like Harvard & MIT.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Anyone know if GA Metallica tickets are gonna go up or down in price? See a few local for 250, field. I'd like to wait but are prices gonna go up or are people not gonna buy at a high price and they'll shoot the prices down?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'd imagine it would only ever go up over time for that.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: he also makes more money than me so...

Post by zazthespaz »

austin. wrote:Anyone know if GA Metallica tickets are gonna go up or down in price? See a few local for 250, field. I'd like to wait but are prices gonna go up or are people not gonna buy at a high price and they'll shoot the prices down?
I had a friend tell me about an app called Gametime where the ticket prices get cheaper towards the show. He said he's gotten some pretty good deals through it, but you have to risk the time. Might be worth checking out if you're looking to save a couple bucks. I personally haven't used it yet but he said he scored a good deal for GnR last year.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Shoutout to Zaz for getting me more enthusiastic about them.

Post by anguyen92 »

I know it doesn't mean much to anyone, but it's nice to get mentioned on Ultimate-Guitar in any outlet.
5. Zac Brown Band - Welcome Home
Reviewed by Sam Mendez
Released: May 12
Reviewer's score: 7
UG score: 7.3
Following a rather divided response from fans on 2015's "Jekyll + Hyde", Zac Brown and his band backpedal from the electronic pop and grunge-rock influences of that album in favour of the band's more traditional country/southern rock style. While the album may not have been up to the standards of their early work, team reviewer Sam Mendez calls it a "[job well done] of being a country music palate cleanser for those who were disenchanted with the sugar sweet pop sound of Zac Brown Band's previous album". UGer comments seem to be a bit more divided, with user konfusius merely stating: "cringe". But anguyen92 seemed to be more on board with Mendez's review, saying "I like the idea that Welcome Home had and bring good-hearted country music without that overproduced nonsense that most pop country bands seems to bring nowadays."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/fe ... _2017.html

I just like Zac Brown Band that much nowadays.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Woooo! Internet famous! :cheers

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the Comey hearing on here. Trump tweeted today that he was completely vindicated by yesterday's hearing while simultaneously calling it lies. Vindicated in the sense that Comey said he was never under investigation as part of the Russia probe maybe? The rest of the hearing seemed to be a legal grey area on whether or not he'd be investigated for obstruction based on whether or not his hopes would be interpreted as direction due to his office, the nature of the discussion and his firing of Comey. But then again he's denying the "loyalty" discussion took place and has his own justification for why he fired him so maybe nothing will come of it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: I was in the top 10

Post by Timotheus »

Nice. Must be fun to be mentioned when you're really passionate about the band.

We're still to beat Andy's #1 post of the year though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Oh, today my boss told me my contract got extended till december! So motivating, because I don't even have my diploma yet. I feel so lucky!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Damn, the lack of Projected hype is real... I actually like the new single.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Samsung's new ultra wide monitor. $1500

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Rest In Peace Adam West.

I loved his Batman when I was a kid :(

AB4Lyfe