The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Tigra
Isolated

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Tigra »

Holy Mary Mother of Lord, triple post :facepalm

Sorry...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Kinda

Post by Timotheus »

You know when a girl says "I love you" to a guy, and the guy freaks out and breaks up with her because he's so damn insecure? Trump's America right there.

Plot twist: The guy and girl are Adam and Eve and now humanity is screwed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Class act, Tim. Jerkoff.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote:You know when a girl says "I love you" to a guy, and the guy freaks out and breaks up with her because he's so damn insecure? Trump's America right there.

Did you seriously just imply that rape is necessary to keep mankind alive?! That's barbaric.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: girl power

Post by Timotheus »

zazthespaz wrote:
Timotheus wrote:You know when a girl says "I love you" to a guy, and the guy freaks out and breaks up with her because he's so damn insecure? Trump's America right there.

Did you seriously just imply that rape is necessary to keep mankind alive?! That's barbaric.
"Grab him by the dick" - Eve a.k.a. the rest of the world 2017.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: good dating strategy too.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:

"Grab him by the dick" - Eve a.k.a. the rest of the world 2017.
:lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

There is a song buried deep in that analogy, TImo.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZAZ! HAVE A GOOD ONE! :cheers :beer :headbang :rockon :dance :peace

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: It was a good one!

Post by zazthespaz »

Thanks Shea!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

@zazthespaz, let me join your colleague above to wish you all the best on your birthday, whoever you are (I got a little lost in the zazthespaz/zasisaspaz/zazisthespaz thing ;))

Yesterday I attended a performance by the National Radio Symphony Orchestra (accompanied by electric guitar, bass guitar and drums). The show included songs from movies/cartoons for kids (the Lion King, Pocahontas, Winnie the Pooh, etc.). The only thing I could do was to sob my musical thrill to my boy’s t-shirt literally through the entire performance. I wonder how it’s possible that I ‘m such a ruthless cold bitch in the everyday life.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Yayyyy happy birthday zaz!
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm here from the future to wish zaz a happy birthday as well. I know that doesn't excuse me forgetting to wish him a happy birthday last year (or yesterday in your timeline), but I can tell you 2017-2018 is going to be a great year for him!

Happy Birthday, zaz! Or like we call you in 2018: jazz.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: if you're wrong, there will be consequences

Post by zazthespaz »

Thanks everyone! And future thanks, Tim!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: First world crisises

Post by Fish Tacos »

zazthespaz wrote:Does anyone know what the handle colors of various coffee pots mean? Black I assume is regular, orange is decaf, purple idk. I accidentally poured the purple into my mug and it smells like cinnamon. Normally they just put water in it and someone didn't this time so now I'm wondering if I'll be staying awake in an hour. I put in some black too just to be safe.

Update: tastes like weak potpourri
Purple might be half caff (50/50 mix of both). That or liquid potpourri.

@ Drew. Pay it off sooner if you can. No interest = more $ in the long run!

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

TACOS! Man I missed you here in Randomness. Where the hell have you been
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Just on a TABN downswing but it looks like I'm on an upswing now the past few days!

I've been trying to get into astrophotography the past few months learning about setups, the physics behind it and the tools for image processing afterwards. About a week ago I took my first astroshoot after a few failed attempts in weeks past. It's not much but I'm glad I finally broke through the initial learning curve and can work on (hopefully) improving a lot more going forward.

Most people shoot the Orion nebula as their first target but it's more of a winter constellation item and sets too early now so I went after M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy which is really 2 galaxies colliding the way ours will with Andromeda many, many years from now.

This is about 90 mins of exposure time, unguided through a very widefield telescope.

Last edited by Fish Tacos on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: No one ask me for money in Sept.

Post by zazthespaz »

Fish Tacos wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Does anyone know what the handle colors of various coffee pots mean? Black I assume is regular, orange is decaf, purple idk. I accidentally poured the purple into my mug and it smells like cinnamon. Normally they just put water in it and someone didn't this time so now I'm wondering if I'll be staying awake in an hour. I put in some black too just to be safe.

Update: tastes like weak potpourri
Purple might be half caff (50/50 mix of both). That or liquid potpourri.

@ Drew. Pay it off sooner if you can. No interest = more $ in the long run!
Turned out the purple was flavored coffee and thy had put cinnamon in with the grinds. I didn't like it.

I also agree on the car payment. Paying mine off a year early in September for that reason.

Cool shot Fish! Send more as you take them!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Fish Tacos wrote:Just on a TABN downswing but it looks like I'm on an upswing now the past few days!

I've been trying to get into astrophotography the past few months learning about setups, the physics behind it and the tools for image processing afterwards. About a week ago I took my first astroshoot after a few failed attempts in weeks past. It's not much but I'm glad I finally broke through the initial learning curve and can work on (hopefully) improving a lot more going forward.

Most people shoot the Orion nebula as their first target but it's more of a winter constellation item and sets too early now so I went after M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy which is really 2 galaxies colliding the way ours will with Andromeda many, many years from now.

This is about 90 mins of exposure time, unguided through a very widefield telescope.

*snip for size*
Awesome shot! Do you do it straight from the camera or through a telescope for that?

Moar galaxies. Is this a good time of year for Andromeda itself?
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

My car is from 2010. I'd like to postpone getting a new one till at least 2020 although the interior is getting pretty seedy. I've gotten new tires for it a year or two ago and I replaced the battery for the first time this year. I'll probably need to replace the accessory belt soon and the other belt I can't remember the name of cuz brainfart but other than that she's been a good girl. Was thinking of getting an orange Hyundai Velostar next time for the hatchback feature so I can fit lots of astro gear easily in the back. Kinda not thrilled at all the touchscreen stuff that comes default with these newer models though. I'm just envisioning after 3-4 years of baking in a hot car the touchscreens will stop working the same way my Garmins tend to.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Ubik wrote: Awesome shot! Do you do it straight from the camera or through a telescope for that?

Moar galaxies. Is this a good time of year for Andromeda itself?
Thanks! I mount my ancient Canon 450D to the back of a telescope with a 2" T-Adapter then control the exposures with my laptop. This was about 122 45 second light frames, 20 45 second dark frames, and 20 1/4000 second bias frames then I digitally stack them all and clean up the image in something like Photoshop / GIMP / etc.

Unfortunately, now is actually a pretty lousy time for Andromeda and I say unfortunately because it's huge and I'd love to shoot it because the telescope I'm using has a very short focal length. This is how small M51 is in the full image before I cropped it in the image above

As you can see it's pretty tiny and when I cropped it above, I lost resolution. So that leaves me with two options: get a scope with a longer focal length (this one is about 630mm, the ones for deep space objects I've seen others use for far away galaxies are 5,000-10,000 mm) or shoot larger objects. Since I'm loaning equipment from my local astronomical society, I'm probably going to do the latter for now. Andromeda would be a great target but it's located kinda in line with Orion's belt east of it, and Orion is a winter constellation that sets while the sun is still up now which means Andromeda sets even sooner. So unfortunately I'll have to wait until later in the year to give M31 a shot.

The Trifid nebula is pretty big so I might shoot that next. Problem is it comes up at like 2 am so I can't even get started shooting until the early morning :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

How is it for planets? I know Jupiter's out at a normalish time over here because I can see it every night (well, when it's not pissing down with rain as it is right now).
For all of the hope that it brings...