The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
maximzub
On The Rail

TABN appreciation post...because sometimes they need it.

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:14 pm
maximzub wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:31 pm Guess what? I'm going to join Mara in not sleeping tonight, because I still have Calculus III homework AND now I have to do an essay in two days.

Hey.... Me too. I have an essay 1500 to 2000 words every week. Im workin' on my Masters! I was half dead at work the other day...
But...I made it! I don't know how.....at around 1 pm...I was really in need of a power nap! :bow
I somehow made it too! I finished both my Calculus III homework and my essay. I slept for 4 hours this morning, and then slept again from 1 to 5, but after having reviewed my essay with the Writing Center, I'm feeling more accomplished than I ever have so far in college. Now after I do my chemistry homework (which is short and easy), I can just chill until 11:00 PM when I get to listen to Pawns & Kings!
Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:36 am
maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:07 am There's my review of our album. I haven't mentioned it yet, but it's called Into The Vortex and our name is Headroom Karma. If you want to check it out, all the lyric videos are on YouTube.
I've listened to your stuff when you posted over the past few months. There are some great things about your playing and some really good ideas. If I have any constructive criticism, here are the following points:

- Production really needs to be upped (go DI, use plugins, midi drum programs etc)
- You really have to put bass in these songs, you could really drive the melodic centre throughout and anchor the melodies. Without bass, if feels unfinished
- Your lyrics are written in very proper grammar and you tend to try to shove all those syllables into a bar, it can come off awkwardly. Try dropping some articles and prepositions (i.e. instead of "And My Guitar sitting on the back seat" try "Guitar on the back seat") let the rhythmic needs of the song drive the number of words and make sure every word NEEDS to be there. Less is more.
- Get some more vibrato and variation of delivery/tone/intensity into your vocals. If you're using any kind of pitch correction, then stop using it (I can't really tell but you're directly on pitch almost 100% of the time).

You've got the meat and potatoes of some good songs here, they need polishing and other elements added to make them stand out a bit. Get some guitar hooks, complementary/counterpoint instrumental parts and atmospheric stuff in there to help it stand out.

Remember, the medium is the message. You could write potentially the greatest song in the world but unless it's polished and complete, nobody would know it. Keep at it and get out there again with a band now that you're at college. Other people will have things to add and keep things interesting and road-testing the material will help refine it.
Thanks for all the help. I really didn't expect anyone from here to be paying that much attention to my music. Here's what I have to say about your advice.

- I recorded most of these in a day or two and rushed the mixing. For most songs, it wasn't a problem, but the mixing of Sanity Insanity really bothers me. Also the drumming sound of Take You With Me. That being said, I wasn't really trying to produce them too much, because these recordings were intended to be just demos in case I wanted to work on the songs more before recording them in a higher end studio than my basement. I applied to work at our college's radio station yesterday, and they're working on a studio, so hopefully I can use it to record some stuff. I met the head of productions there, and he's produced songs for other artists including his own stuff. So definitely I'm going to put more time next time into making the songs as well-produced as possible, and it's probably going to help that I have another set of ears to guide me along.
- Once again, the reason I didn't bother recording bass was because these are intended to be just demos. I've shied away from playing bass ever since the school musical because I'm afraid of bringing back memories of it; additionally, I can't really play bass like a bassist. Real bassists know how to add bass lines that stray away from the riffs and chords while staying with the groove of the song. I can't do that myself. I almost play it just like a guitar (and it doesn't help that I play with a pick). So if I was to add bass to the songs, I would need someone else to play on it. Our band currently doesn't have a bassist to play live with, though, so that's one thing I'll be searching for soon.
- This is something I've never heard before. And it's probably the reason why most of my lyrics suck. I started seriously writing songs in 2017, back when Joseph and I were a "songwriting team", if you will. Joseph doesn't really know how to write songs either and I think his style of writing in proper grammar rubbed off on me. His lyrics worked for Sanity Insanity, but not for Losing A Friend. And the songs that I wrote the lyrics for like Long Live Metal and Gray suffer because of this same problem. Interestingly, the example that you cited (Roadtrip Song) didn't seem to me like one of those times where I crammed too many words into one line.
- Yes, I use autotune in my studio recordings and in my live performances whenever I'm running sound. Having run sound for other people at open mics (and at my graduation party), I've learned which voices sound good with autotune and which don't, and I always thought mine sounded better with it. I'm still a beginner singer considering that I only started singing lead vocals seriously in 2020, so I know that I still have a long way to go in terms of tone and delivery. I think studying and imitating my favorite vocalists has helped greatly (one of my favorite songs to sing nowadays is Until The End by Breaking Benjamin because it pushes me to switch between soft and aggressive vocals and pronounce words in a way I would never do in my speaking voice).
- I didn't quite understand the suggestion about guitar hooks, complementary/counterpoint instrumental parts and atmospheric stuff. Could you provide some examples of those? Admittedly, I'm still inexperienced in crafting songs.

I'm looking forward to rerecording all these songs, some with reworked lyrics and music. Hopefully I can get Carson and Ashton to give some more input this time (I wrote most of the songs by myself), and we'll see what the final product is like.

By the way, did I ever share the final mixed recording of our graduation party performance? It's one of only two times the three of us played live together, and the only time we played electric. I think it would be interesting for you to see what we're like live.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:45 pm
maximzub wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:31 pm Guess what? I'm going to join Mara in not sleeping tonight, because I still have Calculus III homework AND now I have to do an essay in two days.

Watch that video several times and then implement the fellow’s advice, Max :)

So...what helped you the most from that video?

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Study Tips...

Post by MaraCarr »

When I was just starting out in college, I researched all the ways to help increase my ability to learn and to absorb and retain new information.... not excluding the occult ...supernatural and herbal techniques. I was desperate and completely driven.

Last edited by MaraCarr on Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: TABN appreciation post...because sometimes they need it.

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:44 pm
MaraCarr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:14 pm

Hey.... Me too. I have an essay 1500 to 2000 words every week. Im workin' on my Masters! I was half dead at work the other day...
But...I made it! I don't know how.....at around 1 pm...I was really in need of a power nap! :bow
I somehow made it too! I finished both my Calculus III homework and my essay. I slept for 4 hours this morning, and then slept again from 1 to 5, but after having reviewed my essay with the Writing Center, I'm feeling more accomplished than I ever have so far in college. Now after I do my chemistry homework (which is short and easy), I can just chill until 11:00 PM when I get to listen to Pawns & Kings!
Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:36 am
maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:07 am There's my review of our album. I haven't mentioned it yet, but it's called Into The Vortex and our name is Headroom Karma. If you want to check it out, all the lyric videos are on YouTube.
Awesome...So PROUD of you! You brought back so many memories for me..and then Metallica popped up..."The Memory Remains"

Anyway...WE GOT THIS! One step at a time! :)

I've listened to your stuff when you posted over the past few months. There are some great things about your playing and some really good ideas. If I have any constructive criticism, here are the following points:

- Production really needs to be upped (go DI, use plugins, midi drum programs etc)
- You really have to put bass in these songs, you could really drive the melodic centre throughout and anchor the melodies. Without bass, if feels unfinished
- Your lyrics are written in very proper grammar and you tend to try to shove all those syllables into a bar, it can come off awkwardly. Try dropping some articles and prepositions (i.e. instead of "And My Guitar sitting on the back seat" try "Guitar on the back seat") let the rhythmic needs of the song drive the number of words and make sure every word NEEDS to be there. Less is more.
- Get some more vibrato and variation of delivery/tone/intensity into your vocals. If you're using any kind of pitch correction, then stop using it (I can't really tell but you're directly on pitch almost 100% of the time).

You've got the meat and potatoes of some good songs here, they need polishing and other elements added to make them stand out a bit. Get some guitar hooks, complementary/counterpoint instrumental parts and atmospheric stuff in there to help it stand out.

Remember, the medium is the message. You could write potentially the greatest song in the world but unless it's polished and complete, nobody would know it. Keep at it and get out there again with a band now that you're at college. Other people will have things to add and keep things interesting and road-testing the material will help refine it.
Thanks for all the help. I really didn't expect anyone from here to be paying that much attention to my music. Here's what I have to say about your advice.

- I recorded most of these in a day or two and rushed the mixing. For most songs, it wasn't a problem, but the mixing of Sanity Insanity really bothers me. Also the drumming sound of Take You With Me. That being said, I wasn't really trying to produce them too much, because these recordings were intended to be just demos in case I wanted to work on the songs more before recording them in a higher end studio than my basement. I applied to work at our college's radio station yesterday, and they're working on a studio, so hopefully I can use it to record some stuff. I met the head of productions there, and he's produced songs for other artists including his own stuff. So definitely I'm going to put more time next time into making the songs as well-produced as possible, and it's probably going to help that I have another set of ears to guide me along.
- Once again, the reason I didn't bother recording bass was because these are intended to be just demos. I've shied away from playing bass ever since the school musical because I'm afraid of bringing back memories of it; additionally, I can't really play bass like a bassist. Real bassists know how to add bass lines that stray away from the riffs and chords while staying with the groove of the song. I can't do that myself. I almost play it just like a guitar (and it doesn't help that I play with a pick). So if I was to add bass to the songs, I would need someone else to play on it. Our band currently doesn't have a bassist to play live with, though, so that's one thing I'll be searching for soon.
- This is something I've never heard before. And it's probably the reason why most of my lyrics suck. I started seriously writing songs in 2017, back when Joseph and I were a "songwriting team", if you will. Joseph doesn't really know how to write songs either and I think his style of writing in proper grammar rubbed off on me. His lyrics worked for Sanity Insanity, but not for Losing A Friend. And the songs that I wrote the lyrics for like Long Live Metal and Gray suffer because of this same problem. Interestingly, the example that you cited (Roadtrip Song) didn't seem to me like one of those times where I crammed too many words into one line.
- Yes, I use autotune in my studio recordings and in my live performances whenever I'm running sound. Having run sound for other people at open mics (and at my graduation party), I've learned which voices sound good with autotune and which don't, and I always thought mine sounded better with it. I'm still a beginner singer considering that I only started singing lead vocals seriously in 2020, so I know that I still have a long way to go in terms of tone and delivery. I think studying and imitating my favorite vocalists has helped greatly (one of my favorite songs to sing nowadays is Until The End by Breaking Benjamin because it pushes me to switch between soft and aggressive vocals and pronounce words in a way I would never do in my speaking voice).
- I didn't quite understand the suggestion about guitar hooks, complementary/counterpoint instrumental parts and atmospheric stuff. Could you provide some examples of those? Admittedly, I'm still inexperienced in crafting songs.

I'm looking forward to rerecording all these songs, some with reworked lyrics and music. Hopefully I can get Carson and Ashton to give some more input this time (I wrote most of the songs by myself), and we'll see what the final product is like.

By the way, did I ever share the final mixed recording of our graduation party performance? It's one of only two times the three of us played live together, and the only time we played electric. I think it would be interesting for you to see what we're like live.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

This is the kind of stuff people should be teaching in High School.

Post by anguyen92 »

This will sound embarrassing as a guy that studied business and has a degree in Accounting, but I need a crash course on how credit cards work. The fraud charge on my account has made me consider a few things and I think the time is now to finally get a credit card. I have no idea how it works. Like if I typically pay $300.00 a month on food and gas, when I go pay my bill on time, would it just be that $300.00 or would it be that plus some interest?

Is now a good time to take the plunge? How can I get a card that can get me the best chance to get some rewards? Etc.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: This is the kind of stuff people should be teaching in High School.

Post by Andy92 »

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:13 pm This will sound embarrassing as a guy that studied business and has a degree in Accounting, but I need a crash course on how credit cards work. The fraud charge on my account has made me consider a few things and I think the time is now to finally get a credit card. I have no idea how it works. Like if I typically pay $300.00 a month on food and gas, when I go pay my bill on time, would it just be that $300.00 or would it be that plus some interest?

Is now a good time to take the plunge? How can I get a card that can get me the best chance to get some rewards? Etc.
Basically from the time your statement posts, you have around 1 month to pay the bill interest free. So if you spend $300 on a credit card between September 1 and October 1, you have until November 1 to pay back the $300 without any interest charges being added on.

If you get a card that has some cash back rewards / frequent flyer miles, then paying it off each month is basically like earning some free money. You just have to stay disciplined in paying it off. The late payments that accrue interest charges are the ones that compound and place people in credit card debt.

Just don’t spend more than you have available in your bank account to pay off each month, and you’re good.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh ok. Seems simple enough. I'm always on the ball anyway when making car payments every other week on time (now that one I incur interest since it's structured to be paid off in a 5 year period. I only got one more year left). This should be even easier.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

anguyen92 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:48 pm Oh ok. Seems simple enough. I'm always on the ball anyway when making car payments every other week on time (now that one I incur interest since it's structured to be paid off in a 5 year period. I only got one more year left). This should be even easier.
Most cards are pretty straightforward. Do research on a few kinds and see what rewards line up with what you would get the most out of. Some cards like Discover are good for general cash back bonuses, and other brands work well if you travel a lot and want to earn points based off that.

Look for cards that have zero fees. Some cards that give back high yielding rewards will charge an annual fee just to use the card. This may work well for someone who travels as part of their job all the time, but most people wouldn’t get enough out of the rewards to warrant paying a yearly fee to use the card. So I recommend finding something with no fees. There’s plenty of those out there.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Weird coincidence (if that’s the right word) yesterday. So Bruce Springsteen released a new tune, a cover of The Commadores’ ‘Nightshift’. I had never heard the original in my life, so after hearing Springsteen’s version I found the original on YouTube and gave it a listen.

Then a few hours later I stumbled upon this Myles/Mark interview that was also uploaded yesterday…

9:30 exactly - The interviewer asks Mark what his favourite karaoke songs are, and he replies with Dock of the Bay, anything by Sinatra, and… Nightshift by The Commadores.

:eek

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I just applied for a credit card on my bank's website. I say the perks looks all right.

Now I have another question. I have a credit line of at least $5,000.00 now. Does that mean that I can charge up to however I want up to that limit a month or that's the amount I can cap my card at any period of time? Also, I'm very well aware that I should not cap my credit line or else I get hit really hard with interest if I don't pay it in time.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

It means you can never owe more than $5K on your card at any time. If you pay it off at the end of each billing period (which you should always do!!! Make it a personal law for yourself to never carry a credit card balance past the payment date), then you essentially can charge up to $5K every month.

However, if it's the middle of the month and you have already charged some amount (just say $2K just for the sake of the example here, so that you can still spend $3K up to your limit), then realize you have a sudden expense or need to spend $4K on something that would push you over your credit limit, you can pay the $2K balance right then and that resets your limit back up to the $5K.

Also, most credit cards will increase your limits as you go forward if you show good credit behavior/history.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:12 pm Weird coincidence (if that’s the right word) yesterday. So Bruce Springsteen released a new tune, a cover of The Commadores’ ‘Nightshift’. I had never heard the original in my life, so after hearing Springsteen’s version I found the original on YouTube and gave it a listen.

Then a few hours later I stumbled upon this Myles/Mark interview that was also uploaded yesterday…

9:30 exactly - The interviewer asks Mark what his favourite karaoke songs are, and he replies with Dock of the Bay, anything by Sinatra, and… Nightshift by The Commadores.

:eek
The Commodores were one of the all-time classic 70-80s soul bands in the US, along with acts like Earth, Wind, & Fire and Kool & The Gang. Lionel Richie was their lead singer for some time before he went on to even bigger success in his solo career. They had some huge hits like Easy, Brickhouse, Three Times A Lady. Give them a listen. It's obv a way different genre from AB but they were very talented and a music fan can appreciate what they were for their genre at that time. I enjoy hearing those old songs from time to time.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

gbruin wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48 pmThe Commodores were one of the all-time classic 70-80s soul bands in the US, along with acts like Earth, Wind, & Fire and Kool & The Gang. Lionel Richie was their lead singer for some time before he went on to even bigger success in his solo career. They had some huge hits like Easy, Brickhouse, Three Times A Lady. Give them a listen. It's obv a way different genre from AB but they were very talented and a music fan can appreciate what they were for their genre at that time. I enjoy hearing those old songs from time to time.
That genre and time period is very much unexplored territory for me really. Will have to rectify that. The info is much appreciated :)

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

My ranking of all the bands in tiers:

Tier 1:
alter bridge, creed, mayfield four

Tier 2:
Tremonti

Tier 3:
slash and myles, myles solo, scott stapp

----Has anyoned tried the Monster energy drink zero sugar drinks? Some of them really arent bad and they taste pretty good.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Very sad day in my music community. The place that hosted Thursday night open mics that I went to has decided to cancel all their open mics indefinitely. That means I won't get to perform my featured set on December 29 as scheduled. That place and the hosts have done so much for the music community in town and I'm beyond heartbroken to see it go.
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:57 pm Very sad day in my music community. The place that hosted Thursday night open mics that I went to has decided to cancel all their open mics indefinitely. That means I won't get to perform my featured set on December 29 as scheduled. That place and the hosts have done so much for the music community in town and I'm beyond heartbroken to see it go.

When one door closes, another opens! Don't let it discourage you. Bigger and Better things are coming your way. Keep your drive, don't let anyone or anything stop you! You can do it and better opportunities will hunt you down! :)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Halloween

Post by MaraCarr »

I love the “Blueberry Necterine Bang” Energy drink!
Last edited by MaraCarr on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Bros (and ladies), some of these Monster energy drinks are pretty good. Like the Watermelon one or the kiwi flavored one that comes in the green can.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

cheesedip1 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:01 am Bros (and ladies), some of these Monster energy drinks are pretty good. Like the Watermelon one or the kiwi flavored one that comes in the green can.
I mean, if you're only in for the taste.
It's the only energy drink that almost made me fall asleep on the bus at around 4pm. Not really what it's supposed to do?
Afterwards, I needed to piss really bad, as if I've had 3 pints of beer in a row.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Yeah I’m mostly into them for the taste.

Also, some of those Bang energy drinks look okay/
Last edited by cheesedip1 on Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.