The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Micky wrote:Hi everybody!
Suh?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Feeling grateful...

Post by gbruin »

When things get low, you really see who your friends are.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

My childhood best friend, who found his mom dead in highschool, just found his father dead today.

Worst feeling in the world is being unable to be there for the person who needs you most.
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

condolences

Post by gbruin »

Oh, geez, that's just awful, Micky.

I hear what you're saying, and nothing can replace being there in person, but it's clear you're there for your friend as much as is possible. You're a good man and good friend, Micky.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, back from the Nothing More show. Uhhh, I think this is by far the most intense and active crowd I have ever been a part of. I don't want to go into details, but I wouldn't want to go through that again (don't have the body for it). Everything about that show and the bands are really good though.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

anguyen92 wrote:All right, back from the Nothing More show. Uhhh, I think this is by far the most intense and active crowd I have ever been a part of. I don't want to go into details, but I wouldn't want to go through that again (don't have the body for it). Everything about that show and the bands are really good though.
Yaasssss! :rockon

I'm seeing them tomorrow. Haven't had a good mosh in a while and I'm damn well looking forward to it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Inspiration for AB6

Post by gbruin »

Here's a wall of noise that only Elvis would love - All 265 Motörhead songs played together at the same time.

https://soundcloud.com/user-895849516/e ... thing-else

Kudos to the guy who, for god knows whatever reason, spent the time to put this together. I'm not sure if he should get a psych eval or a Nobel Prize. Both might be appropriate.

Meanwhile, I haven't been to a concert where I needed ice packs afterward in a long time. Nothing More put on a great freakin' show and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hey guys. Uhhh, I have some rather unfortunate news that I don't know where else to put, other than telling it to my family already, but uhhh.

The online university that I work for right now has been bought by a bigger university and, as a result, my company told me and my department and my boss that our positions may be deemed useless by next year (I'm still employed throughout the year though). So basically, unless I find another job next year, I'm getting laid off next year. It's pretty shocking and I've been trying to keep it together (especially due to my family's financial roadblocks that life throws at, at times). That stated, when I got into my car after I was done for the day, I yelled pretty loudly inside to vent my frustration.

After a couple hours, it gives me some time to think and I think to myself, "I can bounce back easy. I have shown myself to be a team player and a hard worker in an environment that thrives on that for two years. I can find work somewhere in a similar position somewhere down the line."

Also, regarding my new year's resolution of going to at least one concert a month for the entire year, I still want to accomplish that. The only slots left is in May, August, October, November, and December and I can fill those gaps easily. I may want to see Tedeschi Trucks band in May. There may be a summer concert that perks my interest in August. Still waiting for Tremonti to announce a LA show. Could be in May (windows closing to announce that though) or August, who knows? I may want to see Delain and the solid opening acts in October. Blizzcon is in November and I want to go that as well and they usually have a named band to do the closing ceremony like Muse, Metallica, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, etc. Plus, Trans-Siberian Orchestra may do a big tour in December and I want to go to that and take my family with me since this is the kind of show that people that doesn't even listen to rock can get into.

Above all else, I'm still going to Orlando for the AB VI listening party in September, no matter if I have a job or if my financial status is still unpredictable. It's not a matter of I want to go to this trip anymore. I need to go to this trip to uplifts my spirits and this is the band that has been the best band to do that (as evident in the "Alter Bridge saved my life" thread). Like many roadblocks down my entire life for the last 12 years I've been a fan of AB, they always seem to find the right things to say to keep things in perspective for me and makes me look forward to what's to come in life. Barely anything can get me to feel pumped that way. I just want to see the band back. That's all I ask for really in life. If Alter Bridge is around and active, no matter what happens in this messed-up world, if they are around, all is right with the world to me. It sounds sappy and it is sappy, but that is how it is for me. Also, I miss you guys. We need to talk more again and laugh again.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Sorry to hear about the job situation Kev. You never know, they may still keep your current position are have something for you even after the merger. And if not, there are other job opportunities out there. I know it’s frustrating news to hear, but you’re young and now have work experience for a résumé boost. I’m sure you’ll be able to find something else if it comes to that!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Kev, if you do end up joining me as someone that's getting let go at the end of the year through no fault of their own (buyouts suck), I feel you. But you've got it right with your positive outlook, and I've no doubt you're the type that would earn a great reference for their next job. Can't let that shit get you down.

But yeah, glad the album is soon!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Kev,

All will be okay friend. The best part about this is you have a heads up that you may need a new job. When I was working seasonal at Costco, I knew that I had to start looking for a new job so I was looking way ahead of time and had some promising offers.

I also wonder if maybe you could sit down with the new company that owns your university and ask of there will be other positions of employment available for you if they deem your department unnecessary?

Hang in there buddy, all will be okay. If you need anything, shoot me a message!
Thanks Andy!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The thing about this whole situation about the merger next year is that it's just not my department that's getting turfed. It's a couple of other departments as well (specially, those that does mostly the technical aspects and some communicating to students rather than being a student adviser that's always communicating with students with few technical stuff). They told me that the only positions that would be left when this is all said and done are student advisers and that you may need to relocate to Phoenix to do that. That's a huge no for me. Sure, my professional communication skills has improved since I started two years ago, but I don't think I have it in me to do that all the time in a work day (especially, when I personally would prefer to do the technical analyzing stuff regarding finances and invoices and data entry, and if I need to relay that to the student, I would.)

Also, I do not want to relocate to Phoenix. It's seems like it is hotter than SoCal and bands come there way less than they do in Los Angeles/Anaheim area. I'll settle for trying to find another job locally when the time comes and if worst comes to worst, I'll go ahead and call the Accounting Temp company again to see if they have something for me.

The sad thing about all of this is that I'm not as sad, personally, about me potentially getting laid off as knowing that there are the people, that's been here for 10+ years that grew as the company grew, that may not have their jobs anymore next year. Also, our president of the company sorta did an unintentionally dickish thing. When he went to make this announcement to the departments that is getting turfed, there was a person that was in attendance and that it was her first week on the job. That'll be good for morale. Get hired and find out on your first week that your position will probably not be around by next year..... :facepalm

Edit: On a different and lighter note, this vegetarian burrito from Chipotle is really good. Pretty darn filling.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Being part cat guarantees he'll land on his feet.

Post by zazthespaz »

Sucks about the job kev but don't sweat too much about it. People in their 20s tend to switch jobs every 2-5 years anyway. Plus you've got a lot of time to find a new one all while still building your resume. Wouldn't hurt to check with HR too and see if they're offering any job search assistance (i.e. paying for resume writers, hiring companies, etc.) I'm sure you'll land on your feet and maybe in a better position!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

On the plus side, you're learning this early. Lots of time to job hunt and keep an eye open for the next big thing down the road, plus get your house in order as far as resume, etc. And who knows? Maybe something better is waiting around the corner. That's one thing I've learned over the years -- when something I really really wanted doesn't happen or something great that I did have falls apart, it's usually been an opening of a door to something bigger and better. Maybe not right away, but I feel like the right path always shows itself sooner or later. Life, uh, uh, uhh... finds a way.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: And I smelled like weed for days

Post by zazthespaz »

Also, if you’re going to see Tedeschi Trucks Band, be prepared for a lot of guitar masturbation :lol I saw them a year ago and almost every song had a decent 7-10 minute jam where half the band would literally walk off stage while Derek Trucks would go into a long winded out of key solo. Lot of talent in that band, but it’s a hell of a long show. Me and my friends left early haha
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: And I smelled like weed for days

Post by anguyen92 »

zazthespaz wrote:Also, if you’re going to see Tedeschi Trucks Band, be prepared for a lot of guitar masturbation :lol I saw them a year ago and almost every song had a decent 7-10 minute jam where half the band would literally walk off stage while Derek Trucks would go into a long winded out of key solo. Lot of talent in that band, but it’s a hell of a long show. Me and my friends left early haha
I'm seeing Dream Theater on Thursday. I am well prepared for plenty of guitarbation, especially after listening to Dream Theater's 00s albums, yesterday. Though, I'm getting this feeling that their latest album, Distance Over Time, has plenty of focus and that their bad habits, that hindered my enjoyment of their 00s albums, will be reigned in for this one and it's only an hour long.

Watching Tedeschi Trucks Band would be nothing in comparison to Dream Theater's long show. Plus, it should give me that concert that would be different than what I am normally accustomed to. I do want to see Zac Brown Band in July, but tickets are way too expensive for the worst seats (around $70 + fees).

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

At the Wiltern Theater for Within Temptation. I got a great spot in GA. On the rail at the second section with a great view.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, I'm back home in one piece (or whatever is left of me). I did not expect this show to be close to a perfect show for me (those spots are only reserve for Halestorm in 2017, Breaking Benjamin two days later, and seeing Myles solo last year), but that In Flames and Within Temptation show was up there. Was really satisfying to see and nothing in that show went horribly wrong to hinder my enjoyment of it (except I wanted to see more, but I could say that for any concert honestly).

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

So, some of you on here may know this, but my girlfriend Joella and I rescued a dog from our local shelter in July, his name is Jack and he is actually from Barnwell, South Carolina.

There was not much info available about him at the shelter when we rescued him, aside from the fact that he was from South Carolina. We learned that he had a foster mom at some point, and that he had a brother named Charlie who lived nearby (we are currently setting up a playdate. Timing has been a real pain in getting it together over the last year). But that was it.

Jack's always been really skittish and scared of people. It actually took him a bit of time to warm up to me. I used to sit with him at the shelter for a few hours a day and play with him, so he would start to warm up to me. Then when we brought him home, it took him some time to warm up to everybody, but he has and he thinks all of our friends and family are his best pals.

You know how they say to Google everything if you want to know? Well, I've been trying that for months because I wanted to know just about everything I could about my buddy. However, after months of Googling, I found nothing.

Then, this morning I said to myself "Wait, why don't I look him up on Facebook? If my biological father and I can connect for the first time on Facebook, surely someone out there must know something about Jack" So I did! And OHHHHH MAN, I literally found out absolutely everything about my dog today.

The dog that they think is Jack's mom is named Pudge, she was a neighborhood dog who seemed to just wander the streets and get fed by all the locals, and gave birth to 4 litters of puppies between 2014-2018. After her last litter in April 2018, she passed away. But she looks JUST like Jack.

Not only that, but we found out that Jack also has a SISTER named Chrissy! She lives in North Carolina.

Jack and his two siblings lived in the woods until they were 3 months old when animal control found them and brought them to their local shelter. Jack's sister was adopted almost instantly, but Jack and Charlie lived in that shelter for another three months until they were shipped up to New Jersey where they went to Eleventh Hour Rescue in the Rockaway Mall. Charlie was adopted after being in NJ only 4 days. Jack sat and waited in that shelter for a month and a half until Joella and I decided to bring him home!

Knowing all of this really explains why Jack is so scared of people and why he is so jumpy, but he knows he is safe with us and that he will be okay. I've always been a big advocate for rescuing dogs from shelters as opposed to buying from breeders and stories like this are why!
Thanks Andy!

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Micky, that's a great story. I don't have the means to own a dog (small apartment that doesn't allow them), but I constantly encourage friends and relatives to go for a shelter dog if at all possible. My sister unfortunately had to re-home one that was snapping a bit, which became untenable with a new baby in the house, but they still have another and most of my friends do as well.

It's good to hear he's adjusting well to his new family though. You're doing a great thing by providing him a home!