The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

Probably flying directly over Colorado...

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:31 pm Jumping around the San Francisco area, most of my family lives within an hour and a half of there. Bachelor party will be at Lake Tahoe though and the wedding is in Lemoore (which was the only place named in Top Gun Maverick when students were talking about where they’re from ironically)
If you're in the city or somewhere south of there, pick a pretty sunny day and take the ferry across to Tiburon for a late breakfast and bloody Marys on the deck at Sam's, next door to the ferry depot.

If you're already on the Marin side then just take an uber.

You are welcome.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: What's a Colorado?

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:31 pm Jumping around the San Francisco area, most of my family lives within an hour and a half of there. Bachelor party will be at Lake Tahoe though and the wedding is in Lemoore (which was the only place named in Top Gun Maverick when students were talking about where they’re from ironically)
If you're in the city or somewhere south of there, pick a pretty sunny day and take the ferry across to Tiburon for a late breakfast and bloody Marys on the deck at Sam's, next door to the ferry depot.

If you're already on the Marin side then just take an uber.

You are welcome.
Won't really be in the city per se, more in Walnut Creek area to the east. We've got plans to visit Alcatraz one morning so maybe we can swing that afterwards, or make a trip later in the visit. I love SFO so I'll take any excuse to get over there!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Colorado (p noun): An apparently unpopulated rectangle somewhere between Las Vegas and Chicago

Post by gbruin »

Then you'll need to get from the East Bay across to the SF piers, because the Alcatraz ferry departs only from SF, I think. But the ferry to Tiburon from SF docks just about a quarter mile away, so it would be easy to hop on that after you get back from the Rock.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

At the Anaheim House of Blues for Nothing More and Atreyu. Let the good times roll.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: The medicine is going down my sinus into my throat and tastes horrible.

Post by zazthespaz »

I’ve been skeptical of those GoodRX commercials ever since they’ve been running, always figured they’d save $10-20 tops in extreme cases. I had to pick up a new prescription today (nasal spray for a persistent sinus problem, nothing serious) and it was going to cost me $150 (I have shit insurance). The pharmacist suggested trying GoodRX after she was trying with the store account unsuccessfully, so I gave it a shot, gave them my phone number and nothing else, and they texted me a coupon that saved me ~$100! I gave my name, email, and DOB later to finalize the account, but that was after I paid so I don’t know if I needed to. Probably sold all my medical info to China and volunteered for a year in the army or something like that, but I’ll take the savings! I’d recommend checking it out for anyone going to the pharmacy anytime soon. Maybe do a little research beforehand in case I come back in a week with some horror story…
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Mixing a live album sounds like a nightmare. I've been listening to recordings from my graduation party and taking notes on what mistakes to correct and what instruments to turn up or down in the mix. From all my notes, it seems like I'm gonna need days of just working on the mixing without doing anything else, which, frankly, I don't have. How do people that mix live albums make them sound so good and mistake-free?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 pm Mixing a live album sounds like a nightmare. I've been listening to recordings from my graduation party and taking notes on what mistakes to correct and what instruments to turn up or down in the mix. From all my notes, it seems like I'm gonna need days of just working on the mixing without doing anything else, which, frankly, I don't have. How do people that mix live albums make them sound so good and mistake-free?
Never had a chance to mix a live album, but having mixed two of my studio albums I have to admit that it's either a blessing or a curse, especially trying to deal with double tracked soaring rhythm guitars, powerful vocals, busy drumming and lush keyboards on top of that. It's mostly a lot of fun but can drive you crazy when you've been working on the same 5 seconds for like an hour and it still sounds like ass.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:59 pm
maximzub wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 pm Mixing a live album sounds like a nightmare. I've been listening to recordings from my graduation party and taking notes on what mistakes to correct and what instruments to turn up or down in the mix. From all my notes, it seems like I'm gonna need days of just working on the mixing without doing anything else, which, frankly, I don't have. How do people that mix live albums make them sound so good and mistake-free?
Never had a chance to mix a live album, but having mixed two of my studio albums I have to admit that it's either a blessing or a curse, especially trying to deal with double tracked soaring rhythm guitars, powerful vocals, busy drumming and lush keyboards on top of that. It's mostly a lot of fun but can drive you crazy when you've been working on the same 5 seconds for like an hour and it still sounds like ass.
True, but at least you have as many chances as you want to re-record stuff so that there are no mistakes. Here are my notes for just the 8 songs that Headroom Karma played (and 40 songs were played in total).
Running Down A Dream - Max's guitar is too loud at the very end, add harmonies to vocals during choruses

Folsom Prison Blues - Drumming mistake before Verse 3, vocals too soft overall

Brown Eyed Girl - Carson messed up intro, turn up Max's lead guitar, messed up vocal at the end of first chorus, messed up drums before Verse 3, mute Carson during Verse 3, re-record Verse 3

I Wonder Why - Carson missed chord during intro, messed up vocals during Verse 1, vocals are too loud during Verse 2, missed note in vocals during second chorus, weird outro

Wish You Were Here - Add snare drum before middle of Verse 1, turn up Max's guitar solo and turn down Carson's rhythm during it, missed note in Max's guitar solo?, maybe some minor corrections to Carson's vocals?, fix drums in outro

Lola Montez - Turn down Carson's guitar, turn up vocals, Carson missed a chord before Verse 2 and after second chorus, turn down Max's guitar during bridge, turn up lead licks during choruses, turn down Max's guitar at the very end

Free From This - Max missed a chord during intro, Max's distorted guitar is too loud, add harmonies to vocals during choruses, add drum beat after Verse 2, Carson missed chords during Max's solo, add chords during beginning of Verse 3, change drums before last chorus, vocals are too soft during last chorus

Still Friends - Fix intro drum fill, Max's guitar is too loud and vocals are too soft, trade drums at the end of first and third choruses, Carson played a wrong chord during Verse 2, maybe replace the vocals and drums during bridge, Max missed the first note of the guitar solo, Carson missed chords during last chorus
Thankfully, for most of the songs I have alternate recordings that I can use pieces of. But putting them all together sounds like a nightmare.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Well.... if you're going to fill out missed chords and replace stuff, it's no longer a live album anymore?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Taking a hard turn today in comparison to Wednesday. Here at Fivepoint Amphitheater in Irvine to see 5 seconds of Summer. I might be the only single male in a sea of either couples or women with their friends. No matter, I’ve been through this before.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:40 pm Well.... if you're going to fill out missed chords and replace stuff, it's no longer a live album anymore?
I guess you could say that. Although, Judas Priest's first live album had a bunch of overdubs, right?

Besides, I don't want a whole bunch of mistakes in my recordings, lest people think we suck. It was only our second time playing together.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

maximzub wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:18 pm
Dolo wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:40 pm Well.... if you're going to fill out missed chords and replace stuff, it's no longer a live album anymore?
I guess you could say that. Although, Judas Priest's first live album had a bunch of overdubs, right?

Besides, I don't want a whole bunch of mistakes in my recordings, lest people think we suck. It was only our second time playing together.
Maybe people wouldn't think you'd suck if you'd spent more time rehearsing together before recording a live album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Timotheus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:49 pm
maximzub wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:18 pm

Maybe people wouldn't think you'd suck if you'd spent more time rehearsing together before recording a live album.
Maybe we'd be rehearsing more if Carson and Ashton were old enough to drive by themselves.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I remember being old enough to drive and still not having a license - I still turned up and every rehearsal having just carried my guitar case through the traffic jams and in the buses.

Jesus, I'm starting to sound like my father.

But yeah, it you're are serious about this band and thinking about a live album you need to rehearse 2-3 times per week. Unless all of you are as tight as Dream Theater and don't need to practice that much.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:34 pm I remember being old enough to drive and still not having a license - I still turned up and every rehearsal having just carried my guitar case through the traffic jams and in the buses.

But yeah, it you're are serious about this band and thinking about a live album you need to rehearse 2-3 times per week. Unless all of you are as tight as Dream Theater and don't need to practice that much.
We're not really serious about this band. Carson is 45 minutes away from me, and Ashton is about 30 minutes away. Both are only 15 and in sports (I'm not though). We just practiced once so we could have something to play at my graduation party. Here's what it sounded like (through a bad phone mic).

https://www.facebook.com/10002653889314 ... 022446007/
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

:yeahthat
Last edited by MaraCarr on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Dolo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:34 pm I remember being old enough to drive and still not having a license - I still turned up and every rehearsal having just carried my guitar case through the traffic jams and in the buses.

We're not really serious about this band. Carson is 45 minutes away from me, and Ashton is about 30 minutes away. Both are only 15 and in sports (I'm not though). We just practiced once so we could have something to play at my graduation party. Here's what it sounded like (through a bad phone mic).

Didn't you mention some time ago you were making a studio album or something? Sounded serious anyway.

If you guys are that young and not able to rehearse on a daily basis, you could make the most of practice at home and meet every now and then to check whether it's coming together or not. There are a lot of bands where the members are spread all over the place but because they work so well via the internet, they can practice and write stuff and when they actually get together they are very productive. (Periphery and VOLA are great examples).

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:24 pm
maximzub wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm

Didn't you mention some time ago you were making a studio album or something? Sounded serious anyway.

If you guys are that young and not able to rehearse on a daily basis, you could make the most of practice at home and meet every now and then to check whether it's coming together or not. There are a lot of bands where the members are spread all over the place but because they work so well via the internet, they can practice and write stuff and when they actually get together they are very productive. (Periphery and VOLA are great examples).
I hoped it would be more serious than it ended up being. Now that I'm out of high school, though, I've been dialing that idea down. Ashton isn't a good enough drummer for a studio album, and I'd hate to upset him by recording the drums myself. Carson was always less enthusiastic about the idea than I was. And we've pretty much lost Grace for good. So we've pretty much shelved the idea. Besides, I'm going to college in September and I can't commit to playing with these two much once that starts.

As for making the most of practice at home, I'm sure I'm doing that. Not that I need it really; my parents and other people tell me how impressed they are at how many songs I know and can just pull out of nowhere. Carson and Ashton aren't that way. I'm sure Carson can remember enough songs, but he always relies on his tablet for chords and lyrics, and you know that when you don't exercise a part of your brain, it isn't as able to do its job as it would be if you're using it on a regular basis, so...he has a harder time remembering songs without the tablet than I think he should. Ashton is good at playing songs he practices, but not at jumping in, and he doesn't practice much.

Playing with Carson and Ashton is fun, but it's not my main outlet of playing. I have a few shows booked for this summer which are just me and my dad playing acoustic.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: This thread is short ~1500 pages

Post by zazthespaz »

I completely missed that we hit a decade on this iteration of the board back on the 18th! Can't believe it's been 10 years! Happy 10th Bday TABN!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

:cheers
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013