The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Violent Corpse »

And while I agree with you guys about sharing similar tastes (for me it's not just limited to music but movies and books and art and paintings too), but let's face it, Lotha is more mature about this than all of us.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Oh, but I agree with her to a point. I don't need my girlfriend to like all the music I do, and I really don't care when it comes to movies, books, hobbies, etc (though having a few things in common would be practical).
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy it when we share a similar taste in anything with close people. Yeah, it's great when you and your significant other have the same favorite band, especially in the beginning it can bring you closer.

I was just saying that's irrelevant to the success of a relationship. It's okay to say, for example, "my IDEAL partner would like the same bands I do", but in my opinion, saying "I won't be with this person because they like something entirely different" is not only wrong but also stupid - whether that's music, books, movies or whatever.

Tastes change and evolve and disregarding a person solely on the basis of irrelevant things like that feels immature to me. If you're both so close-minded that you can't appreciate what the other likes and see something of value in it (despite it not being your favorite thing), then you'll probably disagree about everything else. It trains your tolerance and opens your mind in a way, when you like different things.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Totes agree with you, Lotha!

Post by Timotheus »

My ideal partner would have to like me. That would be a great place to start.

Somehow that isn't working out for me. Maybe I have to set the bar lower... Like, go after people who dislike me...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

:lol Yeah I'd say that's important

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

But it's so frustrating. Always when I notice a girl is into me, my brain's like: "What? You like me? ME? Ew. What's wrong with you? Leave me alone..."

Not literally of course (because clearly I'm pretty amazing :D), but it's weeeird.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think an ideal spouse with regards to music tastes is a person that is willing to go to a concert with you and a person that you want to go a concert of their choosing. I mean it would be great if I can take someone that wants to go to an AB show with me (even if she does not know AB at all) and I wouldn't mind going to a concert of her choosing depending on whatever acts is there of whatever genres if it is something that I can enjoy even if it is foreign to me. If both sides are willing to indulge of both people's various tastes in music where everyone can enjoy themselves, then it is a good thing.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Not everyone has to share your opinion of you, TimTim :lol

Yeah, going to concerts together is nice. BUT NOT A REQUIREMENT :D

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Lotha wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I'll buy Lotha a copy of Overwatch if she promises to follow me around with Mercy the entire game to keep me alive.
Mercy's a healer? I've always been good at healing supports :lol
Yep! My brother is the PC gamer though, I play it on Xbox. I don't mind playing support, just gets boring after a while when no one else wants to do it lol.

Regarding the other conversation, taste in music is way down on my list for things I care about with a girlfriend. The country scene is pretty big around here, so you learn to live with it. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: it's Inconquerable all fucking over again.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote:Music is the thing that that I value the most in my life besides family and friends. I'd at least want to share one band or artist with my soulmate. Not because I want zaz to like all the things I like, but because it's such a big part of my life.
Good thing we'll always have Alter Bridge ;)

GUYS I BROKE DREW. HE HASN'T COME BACK SINCE I ACCIDENTALLY PISSED HIM OFF!!! IM SORRY DREW!!!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: But you didn't scare her away, I thought I did.

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote:Good thing we'll always have Alter Bridge ;)

GUYS I BROKE DREW. HE HASN'T COME BACK SINCE I ACCIDENTALLY PISSED HIM OFF!!! IM SORRY DREW!!!
And each other!

:lol

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: I guess it works

Post by gbruin »

I've found that it's not necessary to have a sig other who shares your likes, but it is critical to have a sig other who allows you to continue your likes and doesn't stop you from pursuing them. My wife doesn't really care about music but she lets me listen to what I want and go to concerts. If she hated my music or tried to change what I listen to or got pissed when I went to see a band instead of staying at home, that would really suck.

Just had our 20 year anniversary, btw.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: I guess it works

Post by cheesedip1 »

gbruin wrote:
Just had our 20 year anniversary, btw.

Nice, man! If I ever get a long term thing going someday I hope we (me and my future spouse) could last that long someday.

-------Since this is the 'randomness' thread, I will start out by saying that solitary confinement sounds sucky. I read about a dude in Japan who was in there for like 20+ years.

----Also, does anyone here ever listen to bluegrass music? There is a local scene but I never hear it on the radio or anything.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Lotha wrote:I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy it when we share a similar taste in anything with close people. Yeah, it's great when you and your significant other have the same favorite band, especially in the beginning it can bring you closer.

I was just saying that's irrelevant to the success of a relationship. It's okay to say, for example, "my IDEAL partner would like the same bands I do", but in my opinion, saying "I won't be with this person because they like something entirely different" is not only wrong but also stupid - whether that's music, books, movies or whatever.

Tastes change and evolve and disregarding a person solely on the basis of irrelevant things like that feels immature to me. If you're both so close-minded that you can't appreciate what the other likes and see something of value in it (despite it not being your favorite thing), then you'll probably disagree about everything else. It trains your tolerance and opens your mind in a way, when you like different things.
As I said, you are more mature than many people in this respect.

Thing is, at least for me personally, there are many things i.e music, movies, books, art etc that, though I do not like for myself, I can still respect them. For instance, I do not like Megadeth or Radiohead (not even a big AB fan anymore), but to be fair, these bands constitute good taste and I will not deny that they are very talented musicians and based on that I can entirely respect the opinions of their fans.

But I will never marry a Nickelback fan.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

but it is critical to have a sig
Agreed.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

DonHarry wrote:
but it is critical to have a sig
Agreed.
By Jim.

:P
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Or Tom. :D

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Or Merinda.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Or macca.
anguyen92 wrote: