The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Timotheus »

:wave
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Any of our musical members writing anything? I had an inspired couple of hours yesterday. Going to record at my brother's place one of these days and have some riffs to share.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

After listening to all of Three Days grace's albums, I have come to conclusions of the manifest......

Basically, they have some really good songs (mostly the singles) but man, some songs I think are either average or just plain suck.

I didn't really care for the new album with the new singer all that much, and I didn't really like Transit of Venus either (other than 2 singles or so).

----------I liked "Let It Die", "Scared", "One-X", "Burn" and "Born Like This".

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

You're not alone. I think a lot of early to mid-2000's bands are kind of samey and, meh. Pedestrian riffs, zero lead, and big choruses do not make a great band.

I could name names, but I don't care to fight that battle right now.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I don't think every song/band has to be complex like Metallica or something. But it's nice when a song brings something to the table, whether it's a knockout lyric, great melody or nice chorus or something.

Same with classic rock. Sure, classic rock probably sounds different than stuff today, because usually with classic rock there was 2 guitars and usually a keyboard, but other than that, what else? Classic rock in its time, was very similar to other classic rock cuz everyone was doing the same things they were doing at the time, therefore, most classic rock doesn't stand out from other classic rock.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I don't know. It seems like the classic rockers at least sounded different vocally. Songs were 4 to sometimes 6 or 7 minutes instead of 3.5 minute made for radio singles.

Also depends on your idea of classic rock. I would agree that once the hair bands hit, it got kind of generic.

But I m not hating on all 00's rock. There are quite a few good bands (we celebrate one here). But I do think the band you mentioned and several othes of that time frame are boring as hell. And I never got the hype.
Altered:

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Agreed, most 00's rock I find blah and boring and so predictable.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

As a guy that really likes 00's rock above all forms of music (especially over classic rock and metal), there are some really good stuff from that front, especially from this year, and there are some very very overproduced, poppy, derivative stuff, especially from this year and last year.

Still, I would rather listen to the bad stuff of 00's rock than the bad stuff of metal and other stuff.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I like a lot of 00's rock. Some of it is boring, but there's a lot of good material from bands like Shinedown, 3DG, Staind, Papa Roach, Chevelle, etc. I like the energy a lot of those bands brought, and you can find a lot of good singers amongst those groups. Some of it can be cookie-cutter, but every genre has its strong and weak bands.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I concur, once again with Andy, on those points.

That stated, Shinedown and 3DG's latest albums hasn't really been enjoyable to me. Breaking Benjamin is a different story, all of their albums are have been enjoyable on some level with no stinker album to me so far, and I've been enjoying a lot of Papa Roach's last three albums lately. In fact, I didn't care much for them and wrote them off when I heard Last Resort and To Be Loved so many times through radio, TV, WWE, etc. Lifeline changed all of that and I like Papa Roach now.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

anguyen92 wrote:Still, I would rather listen to the bad stuff of 00's rock than the bad stuff of metal and other stuff.
Just because you like 00's rock more than metal and other stuff, or because you think that when it comes to metal and other stuff, when it's bad, it's BAD?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There's been plenty of great rock in the 00's. Bands like Foo Fighers, Muse, Biffy, Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down and this little band called Alter Bridge were all at their peak during the 00's. Not to mention amazing projects like Them Crooked Vultures and The Raconteurs. And those are just the more known bands.

If 3DG's what you think of when somebody says 00's rock, then yea.. The 00's sucked.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Let's start with Iron Maiden and power metal

Post by gbruin »

zaz will agree (just one more week of this...) is all the great metal for the last 20+ years has been really under the radar. It gets zero airplay or significant media exposure. All most people think anymore is Metallica and not much else.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: or something like that.

Post by zazthespaz »

Yup. And don't get me started on that 10 minute solo by Iron Maiden in that totally killer song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Lotha wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Still, I would rather listen to the bad stuff of 00's rock than the bad stuff of metal and other stuff.
Just because you like 00's rock more than metal and other stuff, or because you think that when it comes to metal and other stuff, when it's bad, it's BAD?
I think it's both options, but more on liking 2000's post-grunge rock/active rock/alternative metal above other stuff. That's the stuff I grew up with, hearing some of those songs featured on WWE, that's how I discovered AB, and it's the stuff I'm willing to defend to the ground, unless a band releases a clear stinker of a new album (like Shinedown, Skillet, 3DG). However, unless a band releases a new album that I feel is something special to me (generic to others), that's the stuff I'm willing to back to the ground like Breaking Benjamin and Black Stone Cherry's new stuff.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Andy92 wrote: Staind.
I think some of Staind's songs can be really bad, however, some are really good (For You", "Home", "Fade", "Outside").

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I would consider The Foo's a 90's band. But maybe that's just me.

Anyways, I don't dislike it all. Just the cookie cutter 00-05'ish stuff where no one knew how to write leads. I didn't like Disturbed at all until they finally took the kiddie gloves off of Donegan. That was 3 albums in.

Whoever decided solos were musical mastubation in the 90's (and consequently carried over until the screamo bands brought it back) needs to be hung by their toenails.
Altered:

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Speaking of Staind, I'm trying to purchase two Aaron Lewis VIP tickets for Charlotte for Christmas for my wife and I, there's only 1 VIP ticket left.

Story of my life. Ugh.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I find myself humming "have yourselves a merry little Gregmas" at random times during the day.