The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by The Plotblocker »

anguyen92 wrote:So here's something that I just found out. California voters actually voted 52/48 on banning single-use plastic bags in supermarkets. If we wanted to get our stuff bagged, we got to pay 10 cents for a reusable bags. I got nothing against it, but it was quite weird to me at first, when I was out buying fish fillets and bread and saw no plastic bags and the cashier asked me if I wanted a reusable bag for 10 cents.

It's things like these that made me wish that I looked at the California ballot a little more. I mean if I wasn't going to vote for the main presidential candidates, I got to be more aware about what sort of stuff the state is voting for since that actually matters a little more to me.
They introduced the same kinda thing over here in the UK. No plastic bags are free any more. The cheapest ones are 5p the you got the bags for life and other types that are usually 20p to £1 depending on material. It's bullshit over here as we are no essentially paying supermarkets to advertise for them.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, well. Able to find a lot of job positions that, at least, perks my interest a bit. Now I just need to have enough confidence to send my resume to these sites and hope for the best.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I went back to freelance writing more actively and my most successful proposal so far has been the most arrogant out of all proposals I sent. :D No confidence need it to send stuff out, believe me. You get used to not getting answers, or getting rejections, and it's not a big deal because there's always something else to apply to around the corner.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's just this is my first times really sending a resume out and I just want to get it just right (especially to compensate for the lack of actual job experience I have).

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Stephen Bannon. Great.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Timotheus wrote:Stephen Bannon. Great.
The rest of his cabinet isn't shaping up to be any better. :no :(

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I live two blocks from our counties justice center. Last night at 6 pm a murderer escaped jail and is still at large. Kind of strange seeing local and state law enforcement cruising the neighborhood and searching houses.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Timotheus wrote:Stephen Bannon. Great.
You'll still hear people say "he didn't mean any of it". Amazing.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

They found him, if anyone is interested. 16 hours later and 13 miles away.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

One Drew Remains wrote:They found him, if anyone is interested. 16 hours later and 13 miles away.
Whew (assuming they not only found him but captured him).

I woke up this morning 30 minutes before my alarm with a work stress nightmare in which I was yelling at my colleagues to stop bringing up a particular thing. Then had a frustrating day at work where I ended up asking people to stop bringing up that same thing twice (quietly in real life, not yelling, though the deja vu was creepy). I never got a headache today but felt on the verge of one because I had to learn a bunch of new stuff that wasn't explained well and/or wasn't working properly. Rereading that Gurthie thread made me laugh and was also so much more confusing than the stuff we were trying to figure out at work that I feel much better. Thanks Gurthie!
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Ubik wrote:
Timotheus wrote:2016's going great!
LOAD UP PREVIOUS SAVE, LOAD UUUUUUUUP
I'm afraid someone loaded up a mangled version from 2000.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: That's right, making it about me.

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:They found him, if anyone is interested. 16 hours later and 13 miles away.
Glad to hear!
agny wrote:
Whew (assuming they not only found him but captured him).

I woke up this morning 30 minutes before my alarm with a work stress nightmare in which I was yelling at my colleagues to stop bringing up a particular thing. Then had a frustrating day at work where I ended up asking people to stop bringing up that same thing twice (quietly in real life, not yelling, though the deja vu was creepy). I never got a headache today but felt on the verge of one because I had to learn a bunch of new stuff that wasn't explained well and/or wasn't working properly. Rereading that Gurthie thread made me laugh and was also so much more confusing than the stuff we were trying to figure out at work that I feel much better. Thanks Gurthie!
I'm glad to hear my anniversary post is bringing such gladness! WOO GURTHIE!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Yeah. They captured the guy again. Apparently one of the workers in the jail went to look at the construction progress on the north side of the building and left the door open.

My taxes pay that person's salary. GAH
Altered:

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: You sure they're not remaking Prison Break?

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:Yeah. They captured the guy again. Apparently one of the workers in the jail went to look at the construction progress on the north side of the building and left the door open.

My taxes pay that person's salary. GAH
Again? As in he got out again?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

He got arrested for murder (shot someone in the head over a land dispute). And escaped Tuesday night.
Altered:

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: 3rd one is free!

Post by zazthespaz »

One Drew Remains wrote:He got arrested for murder (shot someone in the head over a land dispute). And escaped Tuesday night.
Oh gotcha. I thought you meant he escaped twice.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: #CANADIANROADTRIP

Post by zazthespaz »

Read through the Gurthie thread the past couple of days, some good lols. I miss Inconquerable now though :(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right guys, I got a few questions. One, how do I do a cover letter? Two, I'm thinking about applying for Blizzard Entertainment in the Associate Financial Analyst position and they want current students, but I graduated last June. Should I still apply?

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Point of a cover letter is to succinctly tell them what you can do for them. Not how great you are, but how they will benefit from hiring you.

Unless they charge an application fee, apply everywhere until you're sick of applications, take a walk, then fill out more applications.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

^ Basically what agny said.

When it comes to sending out applications, it's of paramount importance to put your potential client/employer first. Study their business, see if there are anything you can help them improve, 'cause that's gonna increase your chances of getting hired.

In my area of work, for example, it could be something like "hey I noticed SEO on your website could be improved," then I'd maybe place an example of my SEO skills such as "I have my own website that's getting visits just through good usage of SEO and I started ranking it quite quickly," etc. The point is to sell your service to them basically, but you can't do it without focusing on what they need first.

And also, yeah - you'll probably need to send a bunch of applications before you even get a response. Don't get disheartened. In my area of work, again, sometimes it takes 100 emails before you land one gig, or 200, or more - either way that's a bunch of rejections.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ