importance of lyrics

Talk about anything and everything here.
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: importance of lyrics

Post by austinjhnsn »

I hope the next album has some more personal/anecdotal stuff. Cant relate to the political shit.

But honestly yes, AB lyrically is probably the most important band in my eyes. ODR-Fortress is GOLD!
Thanks Timo!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Agreed Fortress is the best lyrically for me too.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

gbruin wrote:I don't think it's scary. I think it was incredibly lucky that that album came to me when it did.
Yes, you were.
You could have come across any of the "this-life-aint't-worth-living" songs and what then?

gbruin wrote:I don't expect musicians to feel any obligation or responsibility for how someone else interprets their music. It's not on them to write things that are intentionally inspiring or meaningful to others. Every musician should write words and music that they love and enjoy themselves. If it then happens to resonate with a certain person, that's on that individual. People find inspiration and meaning in all sorts of places: philosophy, nature, art, relationships...
I get your opinion but I do not necessarily agree.
I mean, if my, let's call it "artistic work" does not resonate with anybody, what's the point of doing it at all? Yes, you can draw some satisfaction from that, even if you finally put it into the drawer and it never sees the light of the day. But wouldn't you say that each artist's ultimate goal is to share their work? To show it to others and possibly to get some recognition?

gbruin wrote:I don't have any expectation that Mark and Myles wrote, or should write, music and words to help me through this life. Thus there is no responsibility on them, but there is incredible appreciation and gratitude on my part.
I agree with that of course. I do not expect anything from them. I'm just trying to argue that whether they like it or not, whether they do it intentionally or not and finally whether anybody demands that from them or not - their music (or anybody's any piece of art) has impact on the audience. They are public persons, perhaps an authority with some teenagers?.. But yes, they are not responsible for the way people interpret their work. It's like a knife - an everyday tool but a weapon in hands of a madman...

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I mean, if my, let's call it "artistic work" does not resonate with anybody, what's the point of doing it at all? Yes, you can draw some satisfaction from that, even if you finally put it into the drawer and it never sees the light of the day. But wouldn't you say that each artist's ultimate goal is to share their work? To show it to others and possibly to get some recognition?
I think artists should be "selfish" and make their art only to please themselves.
But in the end they want/need to show their work for validation/recognition.

But don't be surprised to see people doing their art just for themselves. (probably a rare thing)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Tigra wrote:Yes, you were.
You could have come across any of the "this-life-aint't-worth-living" songs and what then?
Then he could've taken comfort from the fact that he wasn't the only one that was feeling that way. It's a myth that depressive music drives people to suicide. I think in most cases of depression "this-life-aint't-worth-living"-songs are a lot more comforting than uplifting songs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

Timotheus wrote:
Tigra wrote:Yes, you were.
Then he could've taken comfort from the fact that he wasn't the only one that was feeling that way. It's a myth that depressive music drives people to suicide. I think in most cases of depression "this-life-aint't-worth-living"-songs are a lot more comforting than uplifting songs.
You think so? I have no idea, never had suicidal thoughts (ok, it happened once in my lifetime). And when I was prone to sugestions and influences at my teenage years, I was basically listening to crap not worth the name of music ;) so the lyrics were not too sophisticated...

But I definitely do agree that when I feel depressed, uplifting songs really grind my gears...

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

If I want to enjoy poetry, I'll read poetry. Good lyrics are a bonus, but never essential to the song. Otherwise instrumentals would sound shit.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Generally I have to get 'something' from the lyrics to like a song. Which is why AB, Tremonti, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed etc resonate in me so well but occasionally I like really bland poppy songs because they're just fun and sometimes I just want to dance and be stupid, not be emotional and thoughtful, which I am most of the time.