My Grandmother's Fight With Cancer

Talk about anything and everything here.
Micky
On The Rail

My Grandmother's Fight With Cancer

Post by Micky »

Hey TABN,

I am here to ask you for your prayers once again.

Some of you already know this, but my grandmother (Nanny), was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, which is a severe form of cancer in her plasma cells. She was diagnosed as terminal this past Wednesday, April 12th, 2017.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Neuropathy in August of 2016. She was slowly losing her ability to walk, and the doctors began to think she may have ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). After months of not seeing her doctor, she could no longer walk on her own, feed herself, use the restroom herself, nothing. I often spent many nights with her and my grandfather cooking dinner, cleaning, taking care of their pug, and just enjoying their company.

My grandfather is an 80 year old Korean War vet. He has many health issues of his own and was having many difficulties taking care of my grandmother. On April 11th, 2017 at 3 AM, my grandmother fell in the bathroom and when he went to help her up, he broke his back. Around 7 AM that morning, he called the family members over and we forced our grandmother to go to the hospital. When she arrived, the doctors told us that she has known that she may have Multple Myeloma for almost a year, and they told her that if she would see her doctors, she would be able to prolong her condition and live much longer.

Now, the doctors have not told her, she has a maximum of 6 months left on Earth with us. She is currently in a rehabilitation center to help her build muscle in her legs so she can live a somewhat normal life, but she does not know how severe her condition is. The doctors fear that by telling her or my grandfather that she is terminal, their health may get worse.

I'm here to ask you all for your prayers and thoughts...because I don't know where else to turn. We just spent our last Easter with our Nanny, and it was incredible. Seeing my grandmother smile and laugh was heartwarming and very emotional, as she has not been herself for quite some time.

After everything gone on the past week, I truly feel I have no one to turn to but you all here. I do not want to see my Nanny go, but I do not want to see her suffer anymore. This is extremely difficult, as if it were not for her, I truly would not be here today.

I hope you all keep her in your thoughts and prayers, because I fear she does not have 6 months left of fight left in her...she is weak.

I love you all
Bobby
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: My Grandmother's Fight With Cancer

Post by gbruin »

We're all thinking of you, your grandma and grandpa, and all your family, Bobby. We'll always be here for you.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: :-)

Post by zazthespaz »

Will do Bobby, let us know if you need anything!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Tigra
Isolated

Post by Tigra »

So sorry to hear that...
You never know how she would react to treatment, maybe there is still some hope. Sometimes miracles happen...
Whatever happens, collect memories, stay close and try to make the best of your time together...
Stay strong...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hey Bobby, good luck with everything. Things really aren't going your way this year are they?

We're here for you :hug
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

It seems wrong not to let someone know their diagnosis, but I guess that's a hard call to make. I'm glad you had a good Easter with them and hope they're both doing better. Soak up whatever time you have with them - we never really know how much time anyone has left. I never got a chance to know any of my grandparents and I wish I had.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

agny wrote:It seems wrong not to let someone know their diagnosis, but I guess that's a hard call to make. I'm glad you had a good Easter with them and hope they're both doing better. Soak up whatever time you have with them - we never really know how much time anyone has left. I never got a chance to know any of my grandparents and I wish I had.
I agree with you, but the doctors fear that if they tell her, she will regress even quicker than she already has.
Thanks Andy!