What are your favorite headphones?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

What are your favorite headphones?

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Just as the title says: what are your favorites? Are they comfortable? What genres sound best on them to you? I'm looking to get a new set for my commute on the train and need some help choosing. I hate in-ear headphones, personally, so I'm hoping find something over the ear that's comfortable. I have slightly larger-than-average ears, so a lot of over the ear headphones tend to push against them and it hurts after a while. My budget is around $80-100 max. Any ideas?

Thanks AB Nation!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: What are your favorite headphones?

Post by Andy92 »

I have a pair of Bose AE2 headphones that I really like. I think they're discontinued, but the Soundtrue line of headphones appears to be the rebranded name of them. I like them because they're over the ear. They don't actually press against your ears, they sit around the ears and press against the side of your head. They have soft coverings on the ear pieces so I can wear them for hours without feeling fatigued. I think they're going for around $100 now.

Sound quality is pretty nice. The bass is EQ'd lower compared to a lot of those boom box style headphones like Beats, which I prefer. Some people think the bass is too low in the mix but I like the EQ how it is for the most part. I can't compare it to many other headphones in the price range because I haven't worn that many others. I owned a bunch of cheap $20-$30 pairs before I bought these.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Andy92 wrote:I have a pair of Bose AE2 headphones that I really like. I think they're discontinued, but the Soundtrue line of headphones appears to be the rebranded name of them. I like them because they're over the ear. They don't actually press against your ears, they sit around the ears and press against the side of your head. They have soft coverings on the ear pieces so I can wear them for hours without feeling fatigued. I think they're going for around $100 now.

Sound quality is pretty nice. The bass is EQ'd lower compared to a lot of those boom box style headphones like Beats, which I prefer. Some people think the bass is too low in the mix but I like the EQ how it is for the most part. I can't compare it to many other headphones in the price range because I haven't worn that many others. I owned a bunch of cheap $20-$30 pairs before I bought these.
Thanks for the input! I'll see if I can give these a listen somewhere. I do like a good amount of bass in the mix, but I agree that certain brands take it way too far.

I tried a pair of Skull Candy headphones the other day that I initially liked a lot. Then I realized I kept turning up the volume because it felt like I wasn't hearing "enough" (if that makes sense). Turns out I realized the thing was all highs and a lot of lows, there were no mids. And when I paired that with the way The Last Hero is mixed... :slam

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah I don't care for the mix of most Skull Candy headphones I've tried. Bose and Sennheiser are two of the more respectable brands I've found for audio quality. I've read decent reviews on AKG headphones too but I haven't tried any.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I wear a cheap $5 pair of buds that my wife gets at Walgreens (discounted cheaper because she's a pharmacy tech there) . I run around 80 miles a month, and these are the only earbuds/Phones that last more than a couple of months. Sacrificing tone for durability, but I also only have to buy 3 pair a year.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

One Drew Remains wrote:I wear a cheap $5 pair of buds that my wife gets at Walgreens (discounted cheaper because she's a pharmacy tech there) . I run around 80 miles a month, and these are the only earbuds/Phones that last more than a couple of months. Sacrificing tone for durability, but I also only have to buy 3 pair a year.
This is a good point. I settled on a pair of Philips on-ear headphones that go behind your head (as opposed to the typical headband on top). I've had this set before and they broke but they're $20 and they sound pretty damn good for the price. Most of all they're lightweight and comfortable which has been the biggest issue for me.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband ... B003CJTR8M

These, I've been wearing them for years. But unfortunately they're discontinued. I just think they work really well for rock music - which I find most headphones fail at. I find most of them focus on musical aspects that hip-hop and pop excel at.

I need a new pair actually since mine are deteriorating.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

nagpo wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband ... B003CJTR8M

These, I've been wearing them for years. But unfortunately they're discontinued. I just think they work really well for rock music - which I find most headphones fail at. I find most of them focus on musical aspects that hip-hop and pop excel at.

I need a new pair actually since mine are deteriorating.
The pair I got are almost identical to these in terms of appearance, and I bought them thinking they were the ones you posted, but I think the "rich bass" part is missing, sadly. You're right. These worked really well for rock.

willy5150
TABN.com Citizen

Post by willy5150 »

Go try a pair of Bose headphones. They are the best I have heard. I have purchased alot of Bose products, they are a little bit more then average headphones, but they last and they sound great for Rock and Metal music.