What music drives you nuts?

Talk about anything and everything here.
The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: What music drives you nuts?

Post by The Plotblocker »

Violent Corpse wrote:Babymetal is awesome, and their musicians are sick. Karate's main riff is one of the sickest I've heard all year.
They are creative because they bring dance to metal among other things.
Yeah man, cos no one ever danced to metal before them *cough*rolllin'rollin'*cough*rollin'....... And as if no one took the piss outta that. Babymetal are a fucking insult to metal, and to my ears.
If Simon Cowl had of done the exact same thing the same people who love Babymetal would be going fucking mental.
Lotha wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote: They are creative because they bring dance to metal among other things.
Yeah, I'm sure everyone just wants to BREAK INTO SOME SICK BABYMETAL DANCE MOVES every day of the week. :lol *powpowpow hitting air while alternating which leg is in the front* yeah baby
Exactly!! lol
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Inova
Brand New Start

Post by Inova »

Finnish rap/hiphop are the worst things I've ever heard. I don't think the language fits well into music altogether, there may be a couple of exceptions, but rap and hiphop are just murder. Also religious music is something that I'm not too keen on, I just can't listen to the message and praising without a grimace.

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Country. Ugh, it's so cringe worthy.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

\m/Tremonster\m/ wrote:Country. Ugh, it's so cringe worthy.
The problem with most country to me is that it feels like so much of it is becoming self-parody. I was in my gym's locker room yesterday and heard a country song with so many bad, cliche lyrics and a singer with such twangy vocal tone that I was like, "Seriously? Did they write it like this on purpose?" It's terrible.

Now, I will say I'm cool with a lot of Keith Urban's stuff. Excellent guitar player too.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, the typical country stuff is really not good from what I heard. Cliche lyrics, etc.

I do really like Zac Brown Band though, mainly for their vocal harmonies. Here's a new track from them. They kept it simple and with the lyrical content talking about how their fathers taught them good values.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Any genre that lasts more than a few decades without changing its sound too much becomes a parody of itself. All these thrash metal bands trying to sound like they're living in the 80's come to mind.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

One Drew Remains wrote:There was a part in the middle of one song where there was 8 bars where there could have been a lead line, acapella, or a solo, and the dude just strummed the same chords he had been playing all song. So uninspired.
Well shit. That's what I do. When I have a musical break in a song (original or cover), I almost always fill it with chord strumming. To be fair, it's hard to bust off a blistering solo when you're playing one-man acoustic singer-songwriter stuff with no backing band to fill the space behind the solo. Also hard to do it when you suck at guitar. :shrug
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

When you're a solo act, I understand. But when you have a backing band, you need to fill the space.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:There was a part in the middle of one song where there was 8 bars where there could have been a lead line, acapella, or a solo, and the dude just strummed the same chords he had been playing all song. So uninspired.
Well shit. That's what I do. When I have a musical break in a song (original or cover), I almost always fill it with chord strumming. To be fair, it's hard to bust off a blistering solo when you're playing one-man acoustic singer-songwriter stuff with no backing band to fill the space behind the solo. Also hard to do it when you suck at guitar. :shrug
I know this struggle all too well. The best thing you can do is try to get creative with those chord progressions during the break. Since you're not singing, try a different picking pattern to change it up and/or throw in some hammer-on/pull-offs where they work. Hammering on and off the 2nd fret on the D string comes to mind when playing a standard C chord, like so:

Code: Select all

e|---0---0---0---
B|---1---1---1---
G|---0---0---0---
D|---2---0---2---
A|---3---3---3---
E|---x---x---x---

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I learned on the street, where there's no room for subtlety, that you can still add a melody when you're playing full on chords. Any melody is playable, you just have to find a comfortable way of doing it on the neck. If you can do that as a solo player, you instantly are more unique than a random chord ringer (though of course there's more to it.)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Absolutely. Even if it's just the simple chorus melody. Some of Mark's best solos start out with a play on the chorus melody.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Dirty, pointless rap with stupid lyrics. Gotta be able to relate, yo.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I don't listen to much pop, especially because it gets played for 18-24 months on the radio, but it bugs me when there are decent generic ones that get ruined by 3rd verse rap sequences. Sometimes I look up the original versions especially since the rap verses rarely have anything to do with the song theme.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Whatever The Chainsmokers is? That. That drives me nuts. I've actually re-grown a fairly fond appreciation of decent pop music in the last few years, but that shit is insufferable.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

Most Christian/gospel music.
Bro/pop country that's popular now. No synths with my country, thank you. Having grown up on the artists from the 80s/90s/early 2000s, the crap that's out now makes me ill.
Some rap.
Metal bands that scream and I can't understand any of the lyrics.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Quite frankly, I might as well just say it. Metal music, in general, from any era. I probably would not say this, 10 years ago, when I just trying to find my interests in music. I feel like there's too much isolation and "us vs them" mentality, nowadays, and people aren't really as accepting when something in metal music is not in the norm to metal. That's something that I probably do not want to be a part of. I like certain metal songs and I like certain metal bands, but I just don't like certain ideals and rules that metal brings to general music. Of course, this is imo.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

all these new "lil" mumble rappers are fucking trash.
Thanks Timo!

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

anguyen92 wrote:Quite frankly, I might as well just say it. Metal music, in general, from any era. I probably would not say this, 10 years ago, when I just trying to find my interests in music. I feel like there's too much isolation and "us vs them" mentality, nowadays, and people aren't really as accepting when something in metal music is not in the norm to metal. That's something that I probably do not want to be a part of. I like certain metal songs and I like certain metal bands, but I just don't like certain ideals and rules that metal brings to general music. Of course, this is imo.
One could say AB are dancing quite close to metal.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Lotha wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Quite frankly, I might as well just say it. Metal music, in general, from any era. I probably would not say this, 10 years ago, when I just trying to find my interests in music. I feel like there's too much isolation and "us vs them" mentality, nowadays, and people aren't really as accepting when something in metal music is not in the norm to metal. That's something that I probably do not want to be a part of. I like certain metal songs and I like certain metal bands, but I just don't like certain ideals and rules that metal brings to general music. Of course, this is imo.
One could say AB are dancing quite close to metal.
And that's one of the few things I'm actually afraid of when it comes to AB in the 2010s with their sound. One of the many, many great things about AB is that they don't have a specific type of fanbase. A lot of different people can enjoy the music without feeling out of place. When I saw the live stream of their Dallas show, I notice the crowd was all kinds of people of different ages, gender, and ethinicty enjoying the same music without feeling out of place. That sort of crowd makes it a lot welcoming for people to enjoy a band like Alter Bridge. The same thing happened when I watched a live coverage of a Zac Brown Band concert. It's interesting that I would think I would feel a lot more comfortable being at a good-hearted country band concert like Zac Brown Band than say an Iron Maiden show (and I love Iron Maiden).

Personally, I feel that if AB keeps leaning towards being more of a metal band rather than a rock band that incorporates metal elements at times, that welcoming feel could be lost.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

anguyen92 wrote: Personally, I feel that if AB keeps leaning towards being more of a metal band rather than a rock band that incorporates metal elements at times, that welcoming feel could be lost.
I'd say you generalize a lot. You mention Iron Maiden. I've been to Iron Maiden shows. The fact that they're metal doesn't change the demographics - you see older people, younger people, kids, guys, girls, people who just wanna chill and people who wanna flail around spilling beer - the whole shabang. It doesn't make it any less welcoming. I think you probably have the misconception that a metalhead must be loud, have long hair, drink beer and wear all black. I mean it is THE stereotype, but people usually willingly follow it because they like that aesthetic and not because of the music itself.
If AB were more metal I guarantee you their shows wouldn't change that much.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think metal is for everyone, but whenever I see people shying away from metal simply because they think metal is the drug-abusing more brutal cousin of good ol' laid back rock, I find it kinda funny. AB is the best proof that rock can be just as intense and deep as metal. In fact that's why they are the only modern rock band I listen to, and one of my favorites, despite me being a metalhead. For me metal is about musical variety and inovation - in what other genre of music can you hear bands so wildly different from each other, I ask you? Even in the same subgenre. Imo metal does everything that rock does - only better.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ