Leaving the Board

Talk about anything and everything here.
Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Leaving the Board

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Hey All,
I've been thinking about this for a while, and figured I'd write up a little post about it. Basically, I've decided I won't be coming on here anymore. It's of no ill will toward anyone, and I've enjoyed talking to everyone on here over the last 8-9 years (wow it's been long).

After a lot of thought, I've simply come to the realization that Alter Bridge has been moving in a different direction than I care to follow, and I've noticed that lately I've been posting a lot of strong criticism of the band's direction. I try not to be condescending or harsh about it, but I also don't want to be the downer on the board constantly talking crap on a band that many of you are still getting enjoyment out of, or just beginning to get enjoyment out of (for newer fans).

I'll always love Alter Bridge, and I'll always consider myself a fan. They're one of two bands that completely changed my life, inspired me to become a musician, and inspired me to look at the world in a different way. I just know that if I keep hanging around I'm not going to be contributing much of a positive opinion of their more current work, and I really don't want to be that guy.

Thanks to all of you on here for being an awesome community, through whatever ups and downs we've seen. Alter Bridge are lucky to have some of the best fans on the planet. Maybe someday I'll be back if the guys radically change their direction or something, but until then, rock on AB Nation. :headbang

P.S. Mods, not sure if there's a process to go through to delete my account, but let me know and if I can do that, I'd prefer to. I'm just the type who likes to keep my internet accounts free and clear if they're not in use.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Leaving the Board

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Sorry to see you go, Jaded!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I don't necessarily disagree with you at all. The preview of "Breathe" is a stark reminder of the type of sound they used to have versus the sound they are trending to now. Most like it. Many who have followed AB since the beginning and fell in love with that Mayfield Four-sounding music from the past really dislike it.

If not wanting to be overly negative is your reason for leaving, please don't. I'll be happy to stick up for you if anyone calls you out on it. I think the more critical opinions are, arguably, more important than the positive ones.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Hate to see you go Mike! You can always participate it other areas of the site, like the other bands section or musician's section. If anything, keep us updated on your music. I've still got your songs on my iPod. Good stuff, man!
Photobucket cash grab.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

AB23 wrote: If not wanting to be overly negative is your reason for leaving, please don't. I'll be happy to stick up for you if anyone calls you out on it. I think the more critical opinions are, arguably, more important than the positive ones.
Agreed. We can be negative Nancys together! :P
Well, joking there, to an extent, but I don't think hearing a different opinion would ruin anyone's enjoyment on the boards, quite the opposite. At least that's what I like to think cause I often have a different opinion myself, and I enjoy your posts.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I still come around here for the community mostly. I still like AB's newer music, but I'm not the crazy passionate fan about it like I was a few years ago. Like Ryan mentioned, this board expands some outside the AB section, and you've shared some good music on here over the years.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

D'aw, now you guys are making me want to stay! And to Ryan and Andy, I really appreciate your support on my music. It means to world to me coming from you guys. I suppose I'll hang around then and maybe just steer clear of the main band sub-forum for a little while. I know this is a place for open discussion, whether it be positive or negative opinions toward what the band is up to, I just felt like I was getting a bit heavy-handed in my criticisms and didn't want to come off too harshly.
Last edited by Jaded Rescue on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Yay! :peace
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Hey Jaded, maybe a personal story will help. I was a writer/coeditor of a major college sports blog for my school for 5 years. I joined to help bring some needed balance to a severely slanted site, tben became a coeditor as we transitioned to new leadership. Many of the long timers , including myself, found the new direction swung way too far in the other direction, and I didn't agree with a lot of the new approach (seems there's never room for a moderate :/ ). As a result, I stepped away from the coeditor/writer role just to maintain my sanity amidst the frustration. But I do stay somewhat active as a commenter in large part to maintain contact with a great community of fans, many of whom I know personally and many I know only via a screen name and a history of comments. I've found this a reasonable option. I can pop in when I like, and keep in touch with the online friends I've made, and I can simply ignore stuff that I don't agree with. It also lets me add a certain opinion when I want, as I think balance and opposing viewpoints, if they are expressed respectfully, are important in a discussion.

I would recommend you keep your account here and just use it whenever it suits you, but not feel obligated or get invested in topics or directions that you don't agree with. You can just cherry pick the things that interest you, whether it's AB related or other stuff. Just leave the door open and come and go as you please. I've found a lot of peace with my former blog that way. Just my thoughts. :) :cheers
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

gbruin wrote:Hey Jaded, maybe a personal story will help. I was a writer/coeditor of a major college sports blog for my school for 5 years. I joined to help bring some needed balance to a severely slanted site, tben became a coeditor as we transitioned to new leadership. Many of the long timers , including myself, found the new direction swung way too far in the other direction, and I didn't agree with a lot of the new approach (seems there's never room for a moderate :/ ). As a result, I stepped away from the coeditor/writer role just to maintain my sanity amidst the frustration. But I do stay somewhat active as a commenter in large part to maintain contact with a great community of fans, many of whom I know personally and many I know only via a screen name and a history of comments. I've found this a reasonable option. I can pop in when I like, and keep in touch with the online friends I've made, and I can simply ignore stuff that I don't agree with. It also lets me add a certain opinion when I want, as I think balance and opposing viewpoints, if they are expressed respectfully, are important in a discussion.

I would recommend you keep your account here and just use it whenever it suits you, but not feel obligated or get invested in topics or directions that you don't agree with. You can just cherry pick the things that interest you, whether it's AB related or other stuff. Just leave the door open and come and go as you please. I've found a lot of peace with my former blog that way. Just my thoughts. :) :cheers
Thanks for the story, that helped a lot! :peace

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I don't think I've had much good to say about AB since the last 6 years, but you don't see me going because nobody likes me. And people actually like you.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Violent Corpse wrote:I don't think I've had much good to say about AB since the last 6 years, but you don't see me going because nobody likes me. And people actually like you.
People handle things differently obviously. And besides, That's not true. People like you here! I do if that counts :D

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

You shouldn't be leaving just because you don't necessarily enjoy AB's latest efforts. It's absolutely alright to share an opinion, that's how boards like this one operate, and even if your views are not quite positive you stiil deserve to be respected. I've spoken a lot of criticism about both AB and Tremonti, but I still stick around cause I'm interested to hear whatever new stuff they come up with. Hope it will make you stay dude.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Alter Bridge are more than just their latest album. We'd appreciate you hanging out with us bro

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:I don't think I've had much good to say about AB since the last 6 years, but you don't see me going because nobody likes me. And people actually like you.
People handle things differently obviously. And besides, That's not true. People like you here! I do if that counts :D
Yeah. We like you, VC. It's just your opinions that suck. ;) :lol
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: <3

Post by Timotheus »

VC's just saying this to bait me. He knows I like him.

Not gonna happen.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Really? But I'm always mean to you! Thanks, man. :D

@grub: F*** you :lol

@Timo: But you already took the bait. You know you can't help yourself. Now say it!

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

may I ask, is it the music that is the issue or is it more of an issue with the direction the lyrical content is heading?

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

PRS10Top wrote:may I ask, is it the music that is the issue or is it more of an issue with the direction the lyrical content is heading?
It's a large combination of things. The music, the lyrics (I don't disagree with what the guys are saying/singing about lately, it just comes off cheesy to me), the production, and the general attitude of the band. None of it's bad, it's just not my thing.