USA in 2016 (FRIENDLY ZONE ONLY)

Talk about anything and everything here.
Jim
Blood Machines

Re: USA in 2016 (FRIENDLY ZONE ONLY)

Post by Jim »

Andy92 wrote:I know this isn't a USA issue, but it's a world issue that affects all of us. So disheartened to see the events going on in France tonight. This stuff is happening way too frequently with way too many numbers.
Oh my god.. I'm just looking at this now. 73+ dead from a truck (full of weapons and bombs) driving through a huge crowd of people in Nice.. Unbelievable :(

Reports of ISIS supporters posting comments online rejoicing this tragedy!

Stop the world, I want to get off. :(

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's insane. This world is so broken. These attacks keep happening more and more frequently. I don't know what the best answers are on how to deal with all of these problems, but I think the most important thing countries need to do is communicate, understand each other, and genuinely come together to stop this terrorist uprising. Their group continues to grow while the people they target continue to become more and more estranged with one another. It will take numbers, a union of millions of people from hundreds of countries to fully extinguish this threat at its source.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Andy92 wrote:It's insane. This world is so broken. These attacks keep happening more and more frequently. I don't know what the best answers are on how to deal with all of these problems, but I think the most important thing countries need to do is communicate, understand each other, and genuinely come together to stop this terrorist uprising. Their group continues to grow while the people they target continue to become more and more estranged with one another. It will take numbers, a union of millions of people from hundreds of countries to fully extinguish this threat at its source.
This x 999,999,999

I just looked through Twitter and actually saw footage from the scene, probably shouldn't have done that

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Jim wrote:AB23 you're completely speaking my language, it's so refreshing to see an American with a sane outlook on GUN ownership
Believe it or not, there are more people in the US that think like me (this is what Americans call "a liberal opinion") than the opposite. Its just that sometimes the opposite tends to be a bit more outspoken sometimes.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

holy shit. Just hearing about this event in France. This is obscene.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Jim wrote:Image

.. Whilst we're adding charts.
Yep. Your chart reflects the traditionally higher rate America has for all homicides which is trending down, while countries like England have enjoyed traditionally lower rates.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

The difference being he posted a chart about gun homicides... while you posted about homicides in general. Which basically strengthens our arguments. While homicide in America is trending downwards pretty steeply, gun homicide is still literally like 7x worse here than the 2nd closest country (though it isn't relative to population)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Yeah, I know, I called it out.

But the point that we have traditionally higher rates of homicides is of the utmost relevance because guns are the most prevalent method of homicide as shown below (granted it's only a 5 yr spread but I also showed you the chart earlier that showed the gun homicide rate is down 49% from it's peak in 1993). So it weakens your argument because that means the overall gun homicide rate is going down in parallel along with that plot. If we have traditionally higher rates of 15x, then even after a lot of progress like a 49% reduction we're still going to have that 7x as high rate because we've got more ground to cover. For all we know in another 10/15 years the downward trend will continue.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

But what you just said is 1000000% speculation though. You're speculating what the trend will be in the future based on what you think is logic, whereas I'm using what I think is logic, but I also have historical data from other countries that back it up. That data says that, regardless of the # of firearms in circulation, if you ban them, gun homicides will decrease.

Will criminals find a way to get guns? Sure. They do anyway. It'll make it a hell of a lot tougher (its pretty tough to get narcotics near my condo, but I could go to Colorado, where its legal, and get it in 5 minutes).

Will criminals start using more knives and maybe even bombs? Possibly.

But all I know is that we have a severe gun problem in this country, and it needs to be addressed promptly. Its not going to stop on its own. We can cross the other weapons' bridge when we get to it. But for now, the weapon of choice in homicides/suicides are firearms. In order to decrease those homicides/suicides by firearms, you ban firearms.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

AB23 wrote:but I also have historical data from other countries that back it up. That data says that, regardless of the # of firearms in circulation, if you ban them, gun homicides will decrease.
The data does not say that. Not in Jamaica. Not in Ireland. Not in certain US cities. Not in any of the charts I posted earlier. Australia isn't a model case because it had an existing downtrend similar to what you're seeing in America above and England is an even worse example because you can see how low and steady their homicides have been, remaining almost level several years after implementation vs several years before. I'm too tired right now to look into which permits in France are for personal use and when that was instantiated because it's not apparent in a cursory search but Scotland COULD be the example you need because they've had a big drop in gun related crimes. However your only choices when looking at the data are gun related crimes or homicides with no indication of gun related homicides so I can't say for sure. Assuming it is, then you've got 1 example vs all the ones I've listed. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt that you could find more (which I'd like to see if you're going to cite them using data sources instead of quotes) the point is, your side of the fence is just as speculative, if not more so.

On a side note that you can decide is relevant or not, some of the countries with gun bans or strict gun control have the highest rates of robberies, sexual assaults, and assault with force. This includes Australia, England & Wales and Scotland.

I agree that you would likely reduce the number of suicides, at least by a gun, but I'm not sure how much of a victory that really is considering they're their own victim (yes, I know others feel the pain of their loss).

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Andy92 wrote:It's insane. This world is so broken. These attacks keep happening more and more frequently. I don't know what the best answers are on how to deal with all of these problems, but I think the most important thing countries need to do is communicate, understand each other, and genuinely come together to stop this terrorist uprising. Their group continues to grow while the people they target continue to become more and more estranged with one another. It will take numbers, a union of millions of people from hundreds of countries to fully extinguish this threat at its source.

How would we do that?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So shocked by the news. I read it just before I went to bed last night. Of course I didn't close an eye...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
AB23 wrote:but I also have historical data from other countries that back it up. That data says that, regardless of the # of firearms in circulation, if you ban them, gun homicides will decrease.
The data does not say that. Not in Jamaica. Not in Ireland. Not in certain US cities. Not in any of the charts I posted earlier. Australia isn't a model case because it had an existing downtrend similar to what you're seeing in America above and England is an even worse example because you can see how low and steady their homicides have been, remaining almost level several years after implementation vs several years before. I'm too tired right now to look into which permits in France are for personal use and when that was instantiated because it's not apparent in a cursory search but Scotland COULD be the example you need because they've had a big drop in gun related crimes. However your only choices when looking at the data are gun related crimes or homicides with no indication of gun related homicides so I can't say for sure. Assuming it is, then you've got 1 example vs all the ones I've listed. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt that you could find more (which I'd like to see if you're going to cite them using data sources instead of quotes) the point is, your side of the fence is just as speculative, if not more so.

On a side note that you can decide is relevant or not, some of the countries with gun bans or strict gun control have the highest rates of robberies, sexual assaults, and assault with force. This includes Australia, England & Wales and Scotland.

I agree that you would likely reduce the number of suicides, at least by a gun, but I'm not sure how much of a victory that really is considering they're their own victim (yes, I know others feel the pain of their loss).
Well, this chart takes care of that. This puts homicide with a GUN relative to all population.

http://imgur.com/Ya4ZGCv (having trouble embedding it for some reason)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

That's pretty much a vertical version of Jim's chart with a scale of per 100,000 instead of per 1M. My last post explains the context for that data and also why a snapshot of rates at a moment in time without the trends before and after is meaningless. It's effectively taking a vertical line in the last plot I posted and looking at only at that.

I think you're confusing the phrase "relative to the population" with the context that BLM uses the term. For them, they say the death by cop rate is X percent and the black population is Y percent of the overall population Z. They compare X to Y. For that to be relevant here you would be comparing the gun homicide rate X percent to the Y gun owner percent of the overall population, not comparing the gun homicides to the overall population of a country which would be X to Z, and certainly not to other countries with different gun owner percentages without normalizing the data. What you need to do is look at each country's annual gun homicide rate over time and see what the existing trends are without control THEN compare the trends after gun control and see how they compare. This type of data is what I've been posting.

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

AB23 wrote:The point you are making is silly, imo. The purpose of a car is to transport yourself to work, school, or other leisurely activity. Someone doesn't get in their car and say "you know, I'm gonna run into X today."
Sorry, I didn't hear you. What were you saying?

(For context purpose in the future: day after terrorist attack in Nice)

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Title says: Mortality rates by fire weapons around the world.

Guess what the countries topping this ranking have in common? They all banned guns.

I'm not saying guns should be available at Walmart and Best Buy stores. But people should be entitled to carry one, if they choose to. And by choosing to do so, they're taking the risk and liability.

People wanting to commit mass shootings, murders or terrorist attacks will always find a way, in the legal or black market. At least by making it legal, giving the proper license and background check, people will be able to defend themselves and even stop worse tragedies.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Marcos wrote:Image

Guess what the countries topping this ranking have in common? They all banned guns.

I'm not saying guns should be available at Walmart and Best Buy stores. But people should be entitled to carry one, if they choose to. And by choosing to do so, they're taking the risk and liability.

People wanting to commit mass shootings, murders or terrorist attacks will always find a way, in the legal or black market. At least by making it legal, giving the proper license and background check, people will be able to defend themselves and even stop worse tragedies.
In other words, you posted the same exact chart as us, except it has different statistics....?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Marcos wrote:
AB23 wrote:The point you are making is silly, imo. The purpose of a car is to transport yourself to work, school, or other leisurely activity. Someone doesn't get in their car and say "you know, I'm gonna run into X today."
Sorry, I didn't hear you. What were you saying?

(For context purpose in the future: day after terrorist attack in Nice)
This is kinda messed up. Just FYI. I'm sure you did it tongue in cheek, but you know better than this.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB23 wrote:
Marcos wrote:Image

In other words, you posted the same exact chart as us, except it has different statistics....?
The chart you posted compares the US to mostly European countries. This one has a lot of South American and Carribean island countries. I'm sure the charts have some differences in raw numbers, but I think something to take from the charts is that while the US may have an issue with guns in comparison to European countries, Japan, etc, we probably don't have as many issues as a lot of other places around the world where crime is very rampant.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I'm a little confused by what Fish Tacos' point is so far.. In a nutshell?