Better Call Saul

Talk about anything and everything here.
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Better Call Saul

Post by cheesedip1 »

Does anyone want to discuss Better Call Saul?

If not, that's fine too.

I've only seen the first season so far.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Better Call Saul

Post by Timotheus »

Loved last season. Liked it better than Breaking Bad's first season.

The first episode of the new season was okay. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

What did you like about the first season?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I loved getting to see Jimmy's character and how he's grown and developed. He's such a likable guy who always really wants to do the right thing. He just doesn't have the sophistication or experience to always pull it off within the environment he is trying to achieve in, and that leads him to fall back on the easy road of shortcuts, but his heart is really big. Love the guy. I find myself rooting for him so much more than I ever rooted for Saul in Breaking Bad. But when you get to know Jimmy, Saul makes a lot more sense and he's really sympathetic and likable.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Sympathetic and likable?
You mean in the sense of how he's slowly becoming a person who likes to rip people off and scam them?

------ Spoiler S1E3

Well I guess Jimmy warned the Kettleman's about being robbed, so that counts as him doing something nice off the top of my head. Although when you really think about it, they probably had it coming cuz they illegally laundered/embezzled money or whatever.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

In BB, he just seemed like a stereotypical slimeball lawyer, though he was goofy enough that he was not as malignant as Walter who just got more and more despicable each season. In BCS, Jimmy is usually trying to do the right thing but it just never seems to work out in his favor. The betrayal by his brother was particularly rough. It doesn't mean he is a great person or anything. He's just a more sympathetic figure to me when I got a closer look at how he became what he is.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm not sure if he always wanted to do the right thing. He was kinda forced to change, because he didn't want to disappoint his brother again. Finally being on the right path might've made him a little more conscious of what he was doing, but I think he's a scammer to the core.

I agree his relationship with his brother and in particularly the scene where his brother betrayal was revealed made him more sympathetic though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I agree he's very naturally good at the scams, and he knows it himself. He's clearly uncomfortable playing it straight. But I get the sense he'd rather do the right thing than not. He seems very conflicted when he's pulling something, but he knows it's his best card to play.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Agreed, but I think it's because he doesn't want to disappoint his brother and the girl he's been in love with a long time.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Just saw S2E2. Hmm..interesting ending part.

S2E3 was interesting as well.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Just thinking of the space-time continuum implications

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:Agreed, but I think it's because he doesn't want to disappoint his brother and the girl he's been in love with a long time.
Yup. Hearts in the right place. Just doesn't have the tools to do it the right way, and he just digs himself bigger and bigger holes.

Interesting to see Tuco. He's still not a very cuddly dude, is he? The ending of that part still has me wondering if they ever announced what the time frame of BCS is. How many years before season 1 of BB is this taking place? Guess it doesn't matter much but I've always wondered about it. Figured it was roughly 5-10 years, but didn't know if they ever gave an exact time. Anyone know?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think they ever gave an exact time. If Tuco's in jail for at least 5 years, that could be the minimum, except if he breaks out.

I love this season so far, by the way. It's easy to think this show is "just" a spin-off, but it's so well written and beautifully filmed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I have loved Saul since BB. Not because I thought he's a great guy, but he was goddamned hilarious in BB.

BCS is a great show in itself. Loved season 1 and just began the 2nd. Great stuff.