The Star Wars Thread (EPISODE IX SPOILERS Inside)

Talk about anything and everything here.
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: The Star Wars Thread (The Last Jedi Teasers Inside)

Post by Fish Tacos »

I'm super meh about this. I'd like to say I'll wait to see it in the dollar theater but they'll milk it for an extra few months before the standard turnaround time so I'll probably see it in the regular one. Loved Rogue One but I'm so disinterested in continuing the Skywalker storyline especially after what they did with it in TFA. And Luke saying the Jedi need to end? I guess that could mean any number of things, maybe the concept of what a Jedi is needs to end and something better needs to replace it, maybe he's saying without Jedi there are no Sith, I dunno. It will be interesting to see what they come up with now that they finally have to come up with a plot that doesn't have a Death Star...at least I'm assuming/hoping that's true...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Honestly, I don't think a Han Solo movie should have been made in the first place, and Woody Harrelson...what? BUT the saving grace of this turd sandwich was going to be big daddy Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark) was writing it along with his son.

The 2 chuckle heads they got to direct the Han Solo movie were fired with most of the film already shot. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to take the directors from 21/22 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, etc. and give them a Star Wars title was already off their rocker in my mind. Those movies are great in their own right, but they haven't really done anything besides these comedies dramas that would warrant getting a shot at Star Wars. Sure enough they apparently had creative differences because they were improving too much and deviating too far away from the script (my guess is comedic relief every 2 minutes, which is already a cancer in modern day blockbusters IMO). Kasdan was saying they didn't inherently understand that character, saying that Han isn't a comedian, rather that he's a sarcastic narcissist which is a core element to a lot of his actions. This probably doesn't bode well for the existing material they have. So now there's just a few more weeks of shooting, no new director that I saw as of yet, and supposedly what exists of the movie was bad enough to cause this to happen. Sooooooo, I'm not expecting great things.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I had contemplated skipping this movie already...this doesn't make it look much better than I already figured it would be. Of all the spinoff movies they could have made, this one doesn't rank too high on my list of choices. An Obi-Wan movie with McGregor seemed like a better idea. The only thing I have against that is how much of his story do you really have left to tell? I just loved McGregor's portrayal of the role is why I'm mostly for seeing it happen.

Another one I'd really like to see is a KOTOR film. I'd rather see some spinoffs that don't feature characters/events of the original trilogy. Rogue One was great, but they can leave the OT/Vader stuff alone with that one.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:Another one I'd really like to see is a KOTOR film. I'd rather see some spinoffs that don't feature characters/events of the original trilogy. Rogue One was great, but they can leave the OT/Vader stuff alone with that one.
Agree something from that era could be great, can't see Disney greenlighting something that risky though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Another one I'd really like to see is a KOTOR film. I'd rather see some spinoffs that don't feature characters/events of the original trilogy. Rogue One was great, but they can leave the OT/Vader stuff alone with that one.
Agree something from that era could be great, can't see Disney greenlighting something that risky though.
I'd settle for a Netflix series with real actors. KOTOR may be a bit of a niche era in the grand scheme of the Star Wars universe, but I think enough people would watch it to make it profitable.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Fish Tacos wrote: Loved Rogue One but I'm so disinterested in continuing the Skywalker storyline especially after what they did with it in TFA.
What didnt u like about it?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I think a KOTOR miniseries like Band of Brothers that only goes for 1 season would be amazing. Could probably stretch it out to 2 since things like rescuing Bastilla at the very beginning might be better drawn out so it doesn't feel rushed.

@cheesedip, I didn't care for TFA much at all. I feel that the prequels were good stories that were poorly executed and TFA was a bad story executed well. A third death star that fires multiple faster than light energy beams to simultaneously destroy planets just reads like fan fiction to me. There was no reason to do another death star let alone make it bigger and badder. The First Order nazi overtones were very over the head and Captain Phantasma or whatever her name is was a completely wasted and punked character but they plan to bring her back even though they didn't show us anything interesting about her, Rey was way too overpowered for what we currently know about her character, Snoke looks like a generic Marvel CGI bad guy, I kinda hated the whole Millennium Falcon CGI monster sequence, etc. Poe, Finn, Rey were all fine as characters but the story just wasn't there in my mind.

Even Mark Hamill has his problems with it and I thought he made some good points I didn't think about.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

^ I finally joined the ranks of those who watched TFA and tbh I agree. The movie was... good... but I had a lot of issues with it. It just seemed way too re-hashed, and yeah, Rey was way too OP. I haven't been following theories as to who her real parents are and why she was dumped on that planet (I'm assuming she's a Skywalker) so I guess they'll cover it with her being "the last of the line of the most powerful Jedis" or whatever but it just felt like lazy writing. And yeah even though in some of these clips Hamill sounds a bit like a whiny diva, I can't help but agree - I mean the old cast is what contributed, A LOT, to TFA's success.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I see all the weaknesses of TFA when I'm watching it, but at the same time I still love it. That's partly due to the (bad) memories of the prequels being fresh and being glad it's more of a vibe with the originals (though this can also be a criticism given it matches A New Hope near beat for beat). I also just really liked Rey and Finn though. I know people like to say she was overpowered, but I still maintain that it really wasn't that different to Luke in the original. Yeah he didn't use a lightsaber much, but he did manage to destroy the deadliest weapon the galaxy had ever seen on his first foray in a space fighter, using a force he didn't know existed a week prior, whilst being tailed by one of the most experienced pilots in the Empire who literally lives on the planet of lava that he was dismembered on purely to maintain unhealthy levels of hate. If she's a Skywalker, being eyebrow-raisingly prodigious at useful things is basically a common family trait.

They're still in the shadow of Vader in the antagonism stakes, though. I liked Krennic in Rogue One but he was pretty generic in the scheme of things and still gets easily upstaged by Vader's few minutes of screen time. Agreed about Phasma, Snoke and Hux being really poor on first showing, Ren wasn't much better but I think has a character that could be really interesting given the right treatment. It's already darker in tone than Anakin's, who went bad through trying to protect his family and was eventually redeemed by saving it, whereas Kylo's already gone patricidal.

There's a lot riding on TLJ, Luke's character will be difficult to get right and no film will benefit from comparisons to the Empire Strikes Back, but I liked the vibe of the initial trailer and Johnson's a better director than Abrams.

The Han film though I can just do without. Ditto Kenobi if I'm honest, I don't think there's any story of his left to tell. Unless it turns out Rey is a descendent, of course.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Ubik sums up my feelings on the movie pretty well. Luke uses the Force to hit a one in a million shot to blow up the Death Star, and no one bats an eye. Rey uses the Force in her first light saber duel, and people lose their minds.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote:Yeah he didn't use a lightsaber much, but he did manage to destroy the deadliest weapon the galaxy had ever seen on his first foray in a space fighter, using a force he didn't know existed a week prior, whilst being tailed by one of the most experienced pilots in the Empire who literally lives on the planet of lava that he was dismembered on purely to maintain unhealthy levels of hate.
This is brilliant...probably the most poignant plot critique of the most overblown movie franchise of all time. It could be the greatest sentence ever written.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

HYPE

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Andy92 wrote:HYPE

My words exactly! There's a ton of misdirect in this trailer, I love it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:My words exactly! There's a ton of misdirect in this trailer, I love it.
Oh yeah, there's no way that last scene shows two shots that are taking place together. But it builds all the hype lol.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Andy92 wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:My words exactly! There's a ton of misdirect in this trailer, I love it.
Oh yeah, there's no way that last scene shows two shots that are taking place together. But it builds all the hype lol.
That and the scene with Kylo and his Momma, no way those are connected.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

This is NOT going to go the way you THINK.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
That and the scene with Kylo and his Momma, no way those are connected.
Unless if it is...and he doesn't pull the trigger. I've wondered about that.

You're most likely correct in that those are two completely different scenes though.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

JaredWard wrote:Image
I never noticed this... but where is Mark? In a diner?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Late to the party for this one but now up to speed on the hype train.

Main thing that worries me is that they might want a twist to live up to Empire, and there are far more ways to make shit twists than good ones. Anything that diminishes the original trilogy in terms of importance would be annoying.

But I'm loving Luke's voice in this, has a Joker tint to it in the "way you think" line.