The Star Wars Thread (EPISODE IX SPOILERS Inside)

Talk about anything and everything here.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

The Star Wars Thread (EPISODE IX SPOILERS Inside)

Post by Andy92 »

I figured this would be a good place for those who have seen the new movie to talk about it openly. We'll leave the other movie thread for general discussion that doesn't involve spoilers. With that being said, I won't be back in this thread roughly for roughly 24+ hours. :lol
Last edited by Andy92 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Star Wars Thread (Episode VII Spoilers Inside)

Post by Andy92 »

What's everyone's opinion on the story? Thought the visuals and action scenes were wonderful, but I wondered if the Han Solo scene would gather mixed reactions. I guessed before the movie that Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's son, but I did not see that scene with Kylo Ren and Han Solo coming at all.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Han's death was probably necessary from a story point of view, there needed to be an emotional climax and the death of one of the old cast was the only way for it to happen. With it being Han at the hands of his own son gives it extra resonance and a lot of room for story development later. Also interesting from a comparison point of view, granddad Anakin - started turning bad through wanting to protect and avenge his loved ones, uncle Luke - could never kill Vader, whereas Kylo/Ben murders Han in cold blood.

Finn - enjoyed his character a lot, didn't expect him to be the comic relief element at all but he did it well plus showed he could do the serious stuff.

Rey - Luke's daughter, right? Started slow but I think she got into it before long.

Leia - Carrie Fisher played it bang on, hope she's in the next one more.

BB-8 - my inner kid loves him.

Falcon - the introduction was perfect.

How'd you feel about the fight scenes at the end? Some people have suggested how unlikely it is for Rey and Finn to have had a chance against Ren, let alone beaten him, but given he'd been badly injured beforehand I don't think it's too unlikely. Plus he's obviously an arrogant douche who thought he could toy with them.

Main negative for me was Snoke/Hux/Phasma, the latter of which was essentially useless, and Snoke just seemed like a generic alien looking guy. Hopefully the antagonists step it up next time round.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I can understand the conversation regarding the final fight scene. I feel like Finn was mainly on the defense for most of his fight though. It didn't take incredibly long for Kylo to take him out, and as you said I think he was toying with him. Plus, Finn was fighting with a lot of emotion after seeing Rey get knocked out against the tree. Rey getting the best of Kylo was almost necessary, but it's a touch unbelievable. I think they're just trying to show just how strong the force runs through her, and deep down Kylo knows she is stronger in the force than he is.

I was pretty sold on Rey being Luke's daughter by the end of it. I think there's still a possibility she is also Han and Leia's daughter because of the parallels with her inheriting the Falcon and Chewie seemingly being her new wingman. One theory I had is that Han left the scene when Ben was fairly young, that's why Ben hated him, and Leia was pregnant with Rey when Han took off. He wouldn't know he has a daughter, and Leia hid Rey for safety for one reason or another. But you could also make a similar theory for her being Luke's daughter since she is destined to be a Jedi, and the last shot does give the impression of a father/daughter moment. I wouldn't be too surprised with either direction.

I agree with the disappointment in Snoke. I just wasn't sold on the look of the character. Is he even supposed to be a Sith? I get the impression he isn't but I'm not 100% sure.

Overall, I loved the movie. I thought it was fairly humorous at times when I didn't expect it. I laughed when Han suggested to throw the storm trooper in a trash compactor lol. And I liked when Kylo was throwing one of his temper tantrums and the two storm troopers look at each other and walk away lol.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think with Rey, we'd already seen her take a couple of people out with her staffish thing, and by the time she was up against Kylo he'd had the shot to his side by Chewie and been sabered in the shoulder by Finn. I totally bought into it at the time anyway, but I'm going to see it again tomorrow so I'll have another look :lol

Yeah no idea what Snoke's really supposed to be, I expected something more intimidating given how much they'd kept him under wraps, could be developed though I suppose.

Also agreed on the humour! Some have complained there was too much, but to me the original is full of it whereas the prequels attempts all fall flat, so this is a return to form and got the balance right.

I guess I'll have to see how it plays out to repeated viewings until I know it as well as the old ones, but at the minute I'd put it 3rd in my rankings, ahead of Return of the Jedi (alien cabaret and Ewoks being major blots on it).

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I could agree to that ranking. It's better than all of the prequels (although I'm a pretty strong fan of Revenge of the Sith). Episodes 4 & 5 are just almost untouchable. I think sometimes people forget just how funny the originals were because the prequels left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. But I do agree it'll take a few watches of the movie along with time to let its full impact sink in.

I'm also imaging how much money Mark Hamill made to turn around and take off a hood. :lol I thought he looked eerily similar to Obi-Wan in that shot which I thought was fitting for the story.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I enjoyed it. I did not see the Kylo Ren/Han relationship coming. But once they spoke about it, I instantly knew what was going to happen. Powerful scene.

As for the fight scene. Snoke mentions that Kylo needs to come finish his training. He's still a Sith apprentice. So he isn't All powerful. I really enjoyed it. And I'd rank it how you all did.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah, Kylo Ren isn't as mature of a fighter as his predecessors at this point. People will complain about Rey not having enough training to beat him, but you could find it pretty far fetched for Luke to actually beat Vader after leaving Yoda before he was even ready according to Yoda. These films have always held the force and the "chosen one" in high regard, and sometimes that causes light saber battles to defy logic. The force isn't necessarily supposed to be a logical concept.

I was scrolling though the IMBD page for the movie and was reading the page on slip ups and plot holes. This one made me laugh pretty good. Shows how some people really won't think at all when they're trying so hard to find fault with a film.

It's called having a grandfather through your mother's side of the family. :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

:lol Been seeing a lot of people around that really want to hate it for something. It's a very hard film not to love for me, just feels like a new Star Wars film (something the prequels failed to achieve).

Agreed Andy at it not being about logic, it's just your classic heroic arc. The first act or film has them triumphing over something more powerful (in the original, it's Luke blowing up the Death Star), the second has them suffering a major setback, the final act sees them overcome terrible odds to succeed. It's the oldest story, and still one of the most satisfying. You know the gist of what's going to happen here, but it's the details that make it interesting.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

It's sad. I love IMDB. It's good for reference. But it sucks because 60% of posters on there are haters just looking to find fault in anything.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I have a rule on IMDB - do not scroll below the review :lol

Not entirely dissimilar to my youtube rule, funnily enough.

There do seem to be a lot of people angry that the main protagonist is a girl. Seems to happen a lot with the internet these days.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

"What do you mean the protagonist is a girl?!?"

"What do you mean the new co-lead is black?!?"

Like you think you get past this kinda stuff in society, and then the idiots decide to type. :lol I really like the 3 new main characters. Hope Poe gets more time in the next one.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Wait till they find out that BB-8's gay.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

I really hope Rey ends up not being a Skywalker. That seems like such an easy copout.

My hope is that she's either a nobody that's really force sensitive (think Anakin), or that she's a decendent of Obi-Wan. It's a silly theory, but her accent makes me think that she could be a Kenobi.
:yeahthat

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

:lol @ Ubik.

Did you catch where Obi-Wan is talking to her when she has that flashback vision? I think it's very possible they could go that route with her. I was reading online today where it's the voice of Alec Guinness saying "Rey..." in that scene. Apparently they edited around him saying the word "afraid" to work her name into his voice.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Her voice is similar in accent to the alien scavenger-shop guy who looks to have been looking after her since she was put on Jakku, which would make sense.

I like the Skywalker theory because that's really what Star Wars has been about, cinematically anyway: the Skywalkers - Luke and Vader as well as Leia in the originals; Anakin, where he came from and the origins of his kids in the prequels. Having a female Skywalker as the hero of this trilogy is both a nice new angle as well as fitting with that past, particularly when the villain is another of the extended Skywalker clan. Added to that, I think there needs to be a good reason for Luke to leave his self-imposed exile. Not sure a random kid turning up with the lightsaber he last saw above Bespin would do that, but knowing that his daughter's going to be facing danger with or without him would.

EDIT -
Andy92 wrote::lol @ Ubik.

Did you catch where Obi-Wan is talking to her when she has that flashback vision? I think it's very possible they could go that route with her. I was reading online today where it's the voice of Alec Guinness saying "Rey..." in that scene. Apparently they edited around him saying the word "afraid" to work her name into his voice.
I read about it recently too, it's got a bit of Guinness and McGregor which is cool, but it also has Luke and Yoda, and all are stuff that Luke himself heard, and whilst he had that lightsaber too.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think the Skywalker line does make the most sense, but I'd say there is a possible twist in another direction. The movies really have always been about the Skywalker family though, and her being Luke's daughter is the most likely direction they'll go in.

A couple questions I hope receive legitimate answers are, how did Anakin's light saber end up where it did following Luke losing it in Episode 5? And how did Kylo Ren end up with the remains of Vader's helmet? I'm assuming that helmet is something Luke kept following Episode 6. I remember Anakin was cremated at the end of that movie (with the helmet off from the best of my memory). It makes me wonder why Luke would have held onto that helmet for all of those years, and how did it change hands? Was Luke feeling some sort of admiration for the dark side due to his love for his father? It's hard to tell, but there is a reason that Luke couldn't fully handle Ben Solo, and I'm assuming that will be addressed in Episode 8.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I like most of them. I didn't really connect with Finn's character like I did the others. He was a little too over the top and hyper acting for a guy who had been raised up from a child to be a soldier. He wasn't terrible. But it was distracting at times.
Altered:

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:I think the Skywalker line does make the most sense, but I'd say there is a possible twist in another direction. The movies really have always been about the Skywalker family though, and her being Luke's daughter is the most likely direction they'll go in.

A couple questions I hope receive legitimate answers are, how did Anakin's light saber end up where it did following Luke losing it in Episode 5? And how did Kylo Ren end up with the remains of Vader's helmet? I'm assuming that helmet is something Luke kept following Episode 6. I remember Anakin was cremated at the end of that movie (with the helmet off from the best of my memory). It makes me wonder why Luke would have held onto that helmet for all of those years, and how did it change hands? Was Luke feeling some sort of admiration for the dark side due to his love for his father? It's hard to tell, but there is a reason that Luke couldn't fully handle Ben Solo, and I'm assuming that will be addressed in Episode 8.
Yeah the helmet's an interesting one, Anakin was burned fully suited up so that explains the warping, my guess would be that Luke kept it as both a memento of his father in pretty much the only guise he ever knew him, as well as a warning of what can happen if you start down that path. Ren being shown worshipping the helmet is also possibly a deliberate contrast with Rey earlier on dreamily wearing the X-Wing pilot's helmet (I got really excited at one point and thought it was Luke's, alas not quite the same).

And yeah I'm hoping Maz Kanata has a lot more time in the next one, how she relates to Luke, had the saber, knows about the force etc.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

One Drew Remains wrote:I like most of them. I didn't really connect with Finn's character like I did the others. He was a little too over the top and hyper acting for a guy who had been raised up from a child to be a soldier. He wasn't terrible. But it was distracting at times.
Yeah I can kinda see that. He just seemed a bit terrified for most of the film. :lol I really liked when Han called him "big deal" lol. Poe needs more time in the next one. I thought Oscar Isaac did a wonderful job with that role.