The Star Wars Thread (EPISODE IX SPOILERS Inside)

Talk about anything and everything here.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Star Wars Thread (Episode VII Spoilers Inside)

Post by Andy92 »

I saw an article yesterday about how the explosion of the 2nd Death Star would've pummeled Endor and killed all the Ewoks lol. It is funny to watch people try to plug science and rational into every bit of science fiction. Although I do think it's valid to question when plot holes don't make sense.

Hadn't heard that theory on Rey, but it seems far fetched. I guess they're going with the approach that she was conceived by the Force? I doubt they'd go that route. Anakin was portrayed as a prophecy fulfilling "chosen one." Although I guess you could argue he never really fulfilled that prophecy like the Jedi thought he would.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I never understood the prophecy of "bring balance to the Force." You've got hundreds if not thousands of Jedi running around the galaxy and the Sith are to their knowledge extinct. Wouldn't balancing that out be viewed as a win for the Dark Side? Shoulda never trained Anakin.

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Hmm, finally able to discuss the SW movie with spoilers.

I'm not a die-hard fan, so I really liked the movie. But I hated they killed Han Solo. Even if it's significant to the plot, I wish they had done it differently...

The actor who plays Kylo Ren sucks, just as much as the guy who played Anakin in Episodes II and III. No charisma at all...

And I agree with who said the Supreme Master looks like a Marvel villain.

But I loved the references to the previous movies, it's like a tribute to the fans as well, and I loved BB8 and Rey.

I also think Rey is Han Solo and Lea's daughter, but the theory going around she's Luke's might me more plausible.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:I never understood the prophecy of "bring balance to the Force." You've got hundreds if not thousands of Jedi running around the galaxy and the Sith are to their knowledge extinct. Wouldn't balancing that out be viewed as a win for the Dark Side? Shoulda never trained Anakin.
The rumor/story I heard (not sure if it was from a book or a fan theory) was that Darth Plageuis tried using the Force to manipulate life by creating an eternal dark side life form. His attempt sparked the "balance" that was needed. You bring up an interesting point though because in the prequels, most of the Jedi seem to be under the assumption of "uhh all the Sith are dead durrr." :lol I guess there was a Jedi prophecy that pointed towards it, but who's to say that Anakin was even supposed to be the fulfillment of that prophecy? Yoda seemed to question that assumption.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

In fairness Anakin did fulfil the prophecy, he threw the Emperor off the platform and returned to the light, destroying the Sith. Obviously he had his little reign of terror in the intervening 25 odd years, but what's that between friends.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That is true to a point. I guess part of me wonders if Snoke is a Sith masking himself, and if Anakin's prophecy was to destroy the Sith, then there would still be another left. I've also heard the argument that Anakin wasn't meant to destroy the Sith necessarily. Since he was supposed to "bring balance to the force," he technically did balance it out by killing every Jedi besides Yoda and Obi-Wan. 2 Jedi + 2 Sith = balanced force. I guess I'm not 100% sure what the intentions of that prophecy were lol.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Andy92 wrote:That is true to a point. I guess part of me wonders if Snoke is a Sith masking himself, and if Anakin's prophecy was to destroy the Sith, then there would still be another left. I've also heard the argument that Anakin wasn't meant to destroy the Sith necessarily. Since he was supposed to "bring balance to the force," he technically did balance it out by killing every Jedi besides Yoda and Obi-Wan. 2 Jedi + 2 Sith = balanced force. I guess I'm not 100% sure what the intentions of that prophecy were lol.
I think the problem with the prophecy is just the wording. I never saw balance in the force being equal parts light and dark, I just saw it as bringing peace to the galaxy, in a sense.

"A prophecy that misread could have been." :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I see your point there. I just always wondered what Yoda really meant by that comment. It might not even play a factor in future episodes.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Apparently the book has a fair bit of extended dialogue between Ren and Snoke after they'd escaped on the Falcon - Snoke says to Ren that Vader failed and the Empire with him through his familial compassion, which explains why killing Han was so necessary for him personally.

Also, did people notice that the corridor Rey finds herself in at the beginning of the vision is the one from the bowels of Cloud City in Empire?! I confess I did not, awesome though!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I didn't catch the Cloud City reference, but that's really cool. Still wanna know who found the light saber there after Episode 5.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

***Major expanded universe spoilers but Disney isn't sticking to them anyway so it's up to you***

The lightsaber, still clutched by Luke Skywalker's hand, had become lodged in one of Cloud City's lower air shafts and eventually was recovered by a maintenance drone. The drone deposited the hand and the lightsaber in Smelting Core D. There, it was discovered by Groggin, the Smelting Core's supervisor.

Groggin had no use for the hand and decided to have it incinerated while he would keep the lightsaber, which he planned to melt down. However, the arrival of Darth Vader in the smelting facility prevented Groggin from taking such action. After a round of aggressive negotiations, Vader left the facility with the hand and the lightsaber in his possession. Though he had other plans for the hand and the lightsaber in mind, Vader was compelled by Palpatine to bring the two items to the Mount Tantiss storehouse on Wayland. There, the Emperor made Vader turn Skywalker's hand and lightsaber over to him.

Six years later, the mad Jedi clone Joruus C'baoth ordered that a clone of Luke be produced from the limb, and that he be armed with Anakin's old weapon. When Skywalker arrived, leading a New Republic strike team to destroy the cloning tanks of Wayland, he was forced to fight the clone, which was being controlled by C'baoth. It was ultimately killed by Mara Jade who then used Anakin's old saber to kill C'baoth himself. Upon the team's return to Coruscant, Luke presented her with the weapon as a gift.

Mara Jade owned the weapon until her death at the hands of her fallen nephew Jacen Solo in 40 ABY, though she would often use another violet lightsaber.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

My biggest gear that was ground by this movie? Adam Driver being cast as Kylo Ren.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: pls.

Post by zazthespaz »

Jim wrote:My biggest gear that was ground by this movie? Adam Driver being cast as Kylo Ren.
:lol I loved the movie, but I'm still confused by his casting.

Also, does anyone have the number for Daisy Ridley? Jim, you're British. Hook me up.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Fun fact - I've seen Daisy Ridley topless on TV.

Drawback - she was portraying a dead person at the time.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:***Major expanded universe spoilers but Disney isn't sticking to them anyway so it's up to you***

The lightsaber, still clutched by Luke Skywalker's hand, had become lodged in one of Cloud City's lower air shafts and eventually was recovered by a maintenance drone. The drone deposited the hand and the lightsaber in Smelting Core D. There, it was discovered by Groggin, the Smelting Core's supervisor.

Groggin had no use for the hand and decided to have it incinerated while he would keep the lightsaber, which he planned to melt down. However, the arrival of Darth Vader in the smelting facility prevented Groggin from taking such action. After a round of aggressive negotiations, Vader left the facility with the hand and the lightsaber in his possession. Though he had other plans for the hand and the lightsaber in mind, Vader was compelled by Palpatine to bring the two items to the Mount Tantiss storehouse on Wayland. There, the Emperor made Vader turn Skywalker's hand and lightsaber over to him.

Six years later, the mad Jedi clone Joruus C'baoth ordered that a clone of Luke be produced from the limb, and that he be armed with Anakin's old weapon. When Skywalker arrived, leading a New Republic strike team to destroy the cloning tanks of Wayland, he was forced to fight the clone, which was being controlled by C'baoth. It was ultimately killed by Mara Jade who then used Anakin's old saber to kill C'baoth himself. Upon the team's return to Coruscant, Luke presented her with the weapon as a gift.

Mara Jade owned the weapon until her death at the hands of her fallen nephew Jacen Solo in 40 ABY, though she would often use another violet lightsaber.
That's an interesting story for it even though Disney will probably have something else. Appreciate the write up.

Jim
Blood Machines

Re: pls.

Post by Jim »

zazthespaz wrote:
Jim wrote:My biggest gear that was ground by this movie? Adam Driver being cast as Kylo Ren.

Also, does anyone have the number for Daisy Ridley? Jim, you're British. Hook me up.
I used to sext her back in 2012

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: at least I've still got Emma.

Post by zazthespaz »

:cheers
Jim wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:

I used to sext her back in 2012
Ew. Jim tainted her.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone else see this? :lol

[youtube]http://youtu.be/FaOSCASqLsE[/youtube]

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

It's funny cuz it's true!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

"Really struck a nerve with me, especially since im the one that killed him" :lol

I hope this is canon
Thanks Timo!