Paris Attacks

Talk about anything and everything here.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Paris Attacks

Post by Timotheus »

Kept watching the news yesterday evening till 3:am. Not sure why, because it got more depressing every minute. Frightening and heartbreaking news. Thoughts to everyone affected. Hope all French board members are safe.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Re: Paris Attacks

Post by Lotha »

Me too. Didn't sleep well. Don't feel well. This is horrible, and I'm afraid worse is yet to come.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Absolutely horrifying, particularly when you think how people at the gig would just've been sitting ducks. The smallest of mercies that they didn't manage to get into the Stade de France.

The reaction across Europe is going to be quite scary as well.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Putin is about to throw down

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I saw a few pictures by a concert photographer that were taken just before the attack. Of course anything like this is tragic whether or not I can relate to it, but it definitely made me think, could have been plenty of people I know or bands I've seen, just having a good time at a concert.

Seeing posts of bands cancelling or not cancelling shows in Paris and elsewhere in Europe. No right answer there. I was thinking, how on earth did these people get past staff/security, but I guess we can't have every tiny venue having full security either, and it happened all over Paris anyway, so they were going to hurt someone somehow :(
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I really cannot comprehend the fact that there are people on this planet wishing to murder fellow people on a mass scale. I love going to concerts, it's probably my favourite hobby and I'm at my happiest when listening to live music, which makes this atrocity even more cruel.

I can't believe that people could do this at a concert, with people packed into together in darkness. I'm seeing Megadeth and Lamb of God tomorrow and I imagine there's going to be an uncomfortable atmosphere, but hopefully the bands will pay tribute to the lives lost.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

BSC wrote:I really cannot comprehend the fact that there are people on this planet wishing to murder fellow people on a mass scale. I love going to concerts, it's probably my favourite hobby and I'm at my happiest when listening to live music, which makes this atrocity even more cruel.

I can't believe that people could do this at a concert, with people packed into together in darkness. I'm seeing Megadeth and Lamb of God tomorrow and I imagine there's going to be an uncomfortable atmosphere, but hopefully the bands will pay tribute to the lives lost.
Yup, making people afraid to go about their lives as they see fit is their goal. All you can do is sing a little louder for those that didn't come back last night and enjoy yourself.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

agny wrote:I saw a few pictures by a concert photographer that were taken just before the attack. Of course anything like this is tragic whether or not I can relate to it, but it definitely made me think, could have been plenty of people I know or bands I've seen, just having a good time at a concert.
Yea, the fact that the biggest attack was at a rock concert somehow makes it really personal for me as well. Eagles of Death Metal were supposed to play in Brussels tonight. It might as well been one of my friends. Europe is so small. Paris is only 3 hours away for me.
agny wrote:I was thinking, how on earth did these people get past staff/security, but I guess we can't have every tiny venue having full security either, and it happened all over Paris anyway, so they were going to hurt someone somehow :(
I went out for groceries earlier today, and it was really crowded inside the supermarket. Because of last night's events you kinda start looking around and noticing how easy it is to get in and hurt a lot of people. Makes you wonder how this is gonna change in the future, if these attacks keep happening.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

agny wrote: I was thinking, how on earth did these people get past staff/security, but I guess we can't have every tiny venue having full security either
I haven't read in depth on the specifics of the venue or the sequence of events but it seems plausible that several armed men with intent could overpower a few guards at the metal detector that weren't expecting it. A lot of concerts I've been to in the US also don't have most of their security personnel armed.

Saw this video today of a false alarm at a vigil in Paris. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f78_1447610828
Heads up, beware the comment section on LiveLeak.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Yeah, you're right, realized later of course they probably shot or hit the security and I just haven't heard that in the news. Probably fewer security at the doors once the main act was on too.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Great. Molenbeek, Brussels is now the jihad Capital of Europe.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Does that surprise you?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Depends on what you mean with that. We do have a terrorism problem and I agree with the criticism.

The practical side of it all astounds me, yes.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Come move in with me!

Post by zazthespaz »

Stay safe Tim!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

So you're saying activity is...sprouting...in...Brussels?

Boooooooo

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

More and more artists cancel shows. Not only the big names.
To be honest, I don't like this attitude. I'm trying to understand it, but I really don't.

Walk the Moon: 'the risk is too much for us to bear. For that reason, we have decided to cancel our upcoming shows'.

Seriously? So what - they won't set a foot in Europe for the next 5 years? What kind of thinking is this? It's not like only the Europeans have a problem... 9/11 did not happen in Europe.

Correct me if I'm too harsh on this. Some of you are American... how do you see it?
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: My 2¢

Post by zazthespaz »

It makes sense to me. I don't like that people are backing down due to fear of terrorism, but the threat level is so high globally from the most unconventional group in existence that I can't blame a band for not wanting a bunch of deaths to possibly occur at one of their shows. I'm sure shows will resume again soon once things have calmed down and more arrests have been made, but for now I'd say this is the safest bet.

Also, 9/11 is different. It's easier to control airports security-wise over concert halls. Airports are fewer and further between whereas concert venues are a dime a dozen. Plus, these venues are dark, packed, and harder to keep an eye on people so even if the manpower for security was feasible, it'd still be a massive challenge.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I think none of the bands I follow that are now on tour have cancelled their shows. Nightwish is on European tour right now.
It takes some balls to carry out your schedule and I have to respect that, but I also understand, kinda, those who want to cancel.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's a difficult atmosphere to be honest at the moment, there's a general paranoia that fighters from Syria have been able to get into Europe via the refugees, and since the EU states essentially have no borders with one another, there's a possibility they could be anywhere. It's still fresh in the memory given it only happened last week, and the aftermath is ongoing, but it'll settle back to relative normality before long.