Albums to start being released globally on Fridays

Talk about anything and everything here.
abw1987
Blood Machines

Albums to start being released globally on Fridays

Post by abw1987 »

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/26/81146 ... day-friday
The Verge wrote:The record industry will make Friday the standard release day for all albums
Tuesdays in the US are forever changed

The record industry will adopt Friday as the global album release day, Billboard reports. The decision will eliminate the current standard, in which release days are divided by country (it's Tuesday in the US and Monday in the UK).

"[Music fans] want music when it's available on the internet — not when it's ready to be released in their country," International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) head Frances Moore told Billboard. "An aligned global release day puts an end to the frustration of not being able to access releases in their country when the music is available in another country." Of course, for those who don't care about legality, so does the internet.

Pushback to the decision has been strong. The industry has been considering Friday as the global release day for months now, and criticism has not slowed with the official decision. Beggars Group founder Martin Mills said earlier this week that a global release day may further marginalize unknown artists already struggling to sell albums. Rich Bengloff, head of the American Association of Independent Music, said in a statement that there are "a number of business hurdles that make Fridays less optimal for the United States marketplace, and independents in particular."

Billboard reports that the industry settled on Friday in part because of piracy and Beyoncé. Australia and Germany have both adopted a Friday release date, which the recording industry says has spurred more aggressive digital piracy. Albums are pirated immediately after release, which means sales may suffer in countries with Monday and Tuesday release dates. Beyoncé's massively popular 2013 self-titled surprise album was released on a Friday. So was Drake's recent record-breaking mixtape, If You're Reading This, It's Too Late.

This ignores the fact that albums often leak before their physical release, and that most musicians are not Beyoncé, whose album-selling power is hard to match. Beyond a statement from IFPI that claims people like to listen to new music on Fridays, it's unclear if there is actually any evidence that a Friday release day will boost record sales.

The shift will reportedly take place this summer.
In my opinion, this is long overdue. It's pretty annoying when I can't legally obtain an album that has already been released elsewhere.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: Albums to start being released globally on Fridays

Post by Fish Tacos »

Billboard reports that the industry settled on Friday in part because of piracy and Beyoncé
Wait...what?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Days of the week don't matter to me as long as it's released.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: AB suddenly shoots up to #1

Post by zazthespaz »

How does this affect charting though? I thought the reason for Tuesday releases was because numbers are recorded on Tuesdays allowing them to get a full week's worth of sales recorded. Granted, the playing field is still level for everyone, but the numbers will decrease won't they? Bands with a large diehard group will probably benefit from the shorter timespan I guess.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Besides; I thought there was all this stuff online saying why things are released on Tuesdays; yet this idea to move it to friday is basically going against all this!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 656AAFn3u4

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

zazthespaz wrote:AB suddenly shoots up to #1
Kanye wants to take the Grammy away from AB and give it to Beyonce because they don't respect artistry.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Kanye wants to take the Grammy away from AB and give it to Beyonce because they don't respect artistry.
Well, he can have it then if he wants it, badly. They were relatively fine without a Grammy. In the event that they miraculously do get one, they are still going to be fine and won't change the way they go about with their process. Grammys means nothing honestly, but one whole pissing match. Something that AB, thankfully, does not get themselves involve.

Anywho, on topic, so what does this change of day do for me, the buyer of albums, who have been buying albums on the Tuesday it comes out? Does it just mean I buy it on Fridays now?

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: And you have to pay twice as much

Post by zazthespaz »

anguyen92 wrote:
Fish Tacos wrote:
Well, he can have it then if he wants it, badly. They were relatively fine without a Grammy. In the event that they miraculously do get one, they are still going to be fine and won't change the way they go about with their process. Grammys means nothing honestly, but one whole pissing match. Something that AB, thankfully, does not get themselves involve.

Anywho, on topic, so what does this change of day do for me, the buyer of albums, who have been buying albums on the Tuesday it comes out? Does it just mean I buy it on Fridays now?
No, you have to wait til the next Tuesday still. Everyone else can buy on Fridays though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: No listening to the CD in the car, though.

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, screw that, then. I'm just going to just save the songs in my spotify playlist, then, and that would be that.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm guy who still loves the physical copy. Love driving to a new cd from a favorite band. Releasing on fridays just means I have all weekend to get used to the album instead of getting it on my lunch hour and hearing a few songs. Torture, lol.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Billboard reports that the industry settled on Friday in part because of piracy and Beyoncé
Wait...what?
I think the point was that Beyonce had a very successful release on a Friday in 2013, which proved it to be a good day for album sales.
One Drew Remains wrote:I'm guy who still loves the physical copy. Love driving to a new cd from a favorite band. Releasing on fridays just means I have all weekend to get used to the album instead of getting it on my lunch hour and hearing a few songs. Torture, lol.
That's another reason I read. Most people don't work on weekends, so they'll be more likely to buy a physical copy when they're out shopping.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Wait...what?
Right? I paused on that too. BECAUSE REASONS. BECAUSE SCIENCE. BECAUSE BEYONCE. Because of course she's the first person to ever release music without a traditional late 20th century major label album release process :rolleyes
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2