The Game of Thrones Thread.

Talk about anything and everything here.
Jim
Blood Machines

Re: The Game of Thrones Thread.

Post by Jim »

Time travel fucks with me. China banned it for a reason

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Arya Stark's storyline has been going nowhere since forever. And since the last season it has literally come to standstill with that mysterious guy and the riddle-talk. They have dragged it to a point where nobody cares anymore.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It kinda depends on how her storyline is going to develop this season. It wouldn't be believable is she became this crazy assassin girl in a season. It was quiet on the Bran front as well, and suddenly his storyline is really important.

Everything is being set in place for the last part of the story. George Martin has been struggling himself to get all the characters to the right place at the right time, but I'm sure once all the characters are in place it will be worth it. He isn't making this story up as he goes. He knew from the beginning how it's going to end. Hodor's background story confirms that.

I think Arya's story kinda suffered from book 3 being split up in 2 seasons. Season 3 was 3/4th of book 3 and season 4 was that last quarter.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

It's really odd that the season is half over yet we've only had one scene in Dorne. There's no way the Dorne story will contribute anything to the overall story at this point.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I hope no more Dorne ever. Everything about it was cringe-worthy after Oberyn.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There isn't anything interesting left over there and it seems clear what all the characters want. All the interesting characters are gone, so there will probably be a few cringe-worthy monologues and a nude scene here and there until the writers decide to have them to go to war against the Lannisters/King's Landing. When that happens it will probably be an incredibly dumbed down version of what they're building towards in the books.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

The death of Oberyn is the only one that made me feel really bad. Poor guy.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Not a flashy episode but a lot of important stuff happened.

Spoilers:
Finally the Riverlands storyline is happening!!! Now we can forget about Jaime's filler non-sense storylines and get on with his redemption arc (though sadly, a lot of damage has been done last 2 seasons). Brienne's going to the Riverlands as well, so things are looking good. Really cool to see Edmure again, and the mention of the Brotherhood without Banners was really exciting as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the Blackfish again.

I'm really interested in what's gonna happen with Arya. I've got no idea what's gonna happen there. She'll probably kill the waif, but I can't see her escape without severe consequences. Maybe the waif's death will pay for her own life or something. Jaqen didn't seem interested in killing her, but escaping can't be that easy...

Benjen woo!

Next week's episode looks incredible!
Last edited by Timotheus on Tue May 31, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I'm kinda watching it not knowing who half the people mentioned are sometimes.. They're all so incredibly detached from eachother it's hard to keep track of all their entwining personal stories. I have absolutely no idea about the whole RiverLand's story, it doesnt ring a bell with me at all

And Timo, you're almost too over qualified to discuss GoT with because you're so well informed I feel like Ron Weasley talking potions with Severus Snape

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Haha, such compliments! It's because I've read the books. The TV show kinda is like a summary to me when it comes to names, because there are a lot more characters in the books. In the books you spend more time with these characters, which makes it easier to remember them.

The Riverlands story was mostly in season three. The Freys are the little fucks that hosted the Red Wedding. Edmure Tully (the guy who was revealed in last episode) is Catelyn Stark's brother. He got captured at the Red Wedding. The Blackfish is Catelyn's uncle. He was also at the Red Wedding, but got away. He's now in control of Riverrun (the place where Catelyn Stark was born, they spent some time there in season three). The Freys now want to take back Riverrun, and Jaime has been sent over there to help the Freys.

The Brotherhood without Banners are the guys that Arya spent some time with in season three, before she got captured by the Hound. You know, with the guy with the flaming sword, who'd died several times but was brought back to life by the priest. Originally they were sent to the Riverlands by Ned Stark in season one to bring Tywin Lannister to justice, but now they're just fucking around and screwing with the Lannister/Frey alliance.

A lot of storylines are finally coming together in the Riverlands. Brienne's on her way over there a well, which hints towards a Jaime/Brienne reunion, which could get interesting/tragic.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Yeah how did you get ALL of that from the last episode?? Definitely need to watch it again

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Inb4 Arya Stark dies.

Jaqen was such a cool character is season 2. So boring now. I wish they did something more interesting with him.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I've read some theories on Reddit where they're talking about this s6 Jaqen actually being a different Faceless Man from the Jaqen in s2. So he's wearing the same face, the face that Arya is used to, but it's a different man.
Or, that the Waif and Jaqen switched faces between themselves and Jaqen is now Waif and Waif is Jaqen. And all sorts of fuckery like that.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm really enjoying this season but at the same time I'm really struggling to care about some of the characters.

Sansa hasn't done anything noteworthy for pretty much the entirety of the show, where has she got her confidence/arrogance from?

I've really liked Jaime as a character although he's suddenly reverted back to his arrogant self, despite only having one hand, I know he got into a few fights at Dorne, but have we seen anything to suggest he's regained his skills at combat? I prefer him in the books when he stopped being so strung up about Cersei.

Arya should have died, she was stabbed a number of times, and to be honest, if she died I wouldn't have been particularly bothered. I don't think she's done anything particularly interesting the past two seasons, and I'm struggling to see how she's going to contribute to the overall story. I know she's more of a skilled fighter now, but she's never fought in any battles, apart from killing a few people for personal reasons, what can she do?

I'm just bored of Daenerys, I don't think her character has developed in a long time, we've known for a long time that: she's got dragons; she can give good speeches; and she's good with fire, but nothing has really moved on.

I wouldn't be too gutted if either of those four die soon. Judging by the trailer, the next episode will be great.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

BSC wrote:Arya should have died, she was stabbed a number of times, and to be honest, if she died I wouldn't have been particularly bothered. I don't think she's done anything particularly interesting the past two seasons, and I'm struggling to see how she's going to contribute to the overall story. I know she's more of a skilled fighter now, but she's never fought in any battles, apart from killing a few people for personal reasons, what can she do?
There are some theories that it wasn't Arya who was stabbed and that there's some kind of faceless mindfuckery going on. Would be a good twist, but I'm not fully convinced yet.

Nymeria is still in the Riverlands with a huge pack of wolves, so that should at one point get interesting.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I believe there IS some kind of faceless mindfuckery going on, but we'll see.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Daenerys and Sansa are absolute rubbish characters. But that's just the George Martin formula: kill the awesome characters, keep the shitty ones.

I don't think Daenerys is dying any time soon. She is, in all likelihood, the main heroine of the entire story. Everything is going her way. And with those dragons of hers, there's no stopping her.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It kinda looks like everything's going Dany's way, but it really doesn't. Every time she wins something, there's some kind of backlash, or there are some severe consequences/sacrifices. She has absolutely no control over Slaver's Bay and we really don't know what's gonna happen there. Her speeches are super annoying though. I think she's going to be an antagonist in the end. She's absolutely mental.

Sansa is a great character. Not sure why people dislike her so much besides what happened in season 1 and the fact that her chapters aren't action-packed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Sansa has grown so much from being an annoying brat. And she has survived a lot. While I'm not a fan of giving her to Ramsey in the show, as I think it slowed down her character development and was kinda regressing, she's coming into her own now. I still expect her to make mistakes (don't think she should be trusting LF but she feels she doesn't have a choice and she is probably right), but at least she's doing what she is supposed to do now.

Daenerys is just not made for sitting in a throne room and the subtle politics... as she has shown. All of her actions are based on instincts and while some of them were right, I don't think the practice of not listening to your (smarter) advisors is gonna do her much good. She's a very charismatic leader though, and does fare well when she is in mortal danger. Would be good for her if she developed the same ruthlessness in politics.

Her speeches and the dragons are the only reminders to people of her power (power that she had to win for herself, btw, she had nothing). If you were a tiny blonde girl, chances are you'd have to repeat you're the mother of dragons and breaker of chains every chance you got so people would take you seriously. I'm not sure if madness is the option for her, but certainly it will be interesting to see her in Westeros as she tends to see people in black/white with nothing in between on the scale.

Edit: and yeah, that last speech to Dothraki was a little unnecessary, but I feel like they wanted to tribute Drogo with that one, and show she still thinks of him and loves him. Her speech echoed his promise to her, which I found sweet (though, like I said, a little unnecessary).

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Catelyn Stark was the best female character in the show. I wish she had lived longer.