The Game of Thrones Thread.

Talk about anything and everything here.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Game of Thrones Thread.

Post by Timotheus »

Spoilers:

That waif was literally the worst assassin ever. Awful writing.

Riverrun could've been so much better if they'd spend more time there. They could've given us some more time with Edmure and the Blackfish, so those scenes would've had more impact. In stead they send Jaime to Dorne for an entire season for literally the stupidest minutes of television on this show ever. All this teleporting shit is getting really annoying as well.

So Tyrion has done absolutely nothing this season. Everything he's done has been nullified by having the masters turn on them. Not sure why Dany'd trust him or his advice after this. Random Dany entrance as well. In two scenes they managed to rush that entire storyline to the point where it just became silly. Luckily they managed to make some jokes. That set up things really nicely.

I loved seeing the Brotherhood without Banners, even though I'm sure 90% of the casual watchers had no idea who they were, and the trial by combat twist was pretty great, but wow... This was a frustrating episode.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I agree with you. Arya and Jaime haven't done anything to redeem themselves for me yet. I'm a bit peeved that we sat to watch two seasons of the boring House of Black and White stuff for pretty much nothing in the end. Arya should be dead, I also don't how towards the end of the fight with Waif she could barely walk, but walked away from Jaqen (apologies if that's not actually his name) rather confidently.

Dany's timely entrance just seemed cheesey, like most of what she's done this season. I hope they don't cock up the big battle next episode, from the trailer it looks like the whole episode will be devoted to the battle.

Edit after some further thoughts - if you think about it, Jaime managed to capture Riverrun (forgive me if I'm mistake, I read the books but barely paid any attention!) with only a minor amount of deaths. Also, I have a sneaking feeling the battle next week might mirror Helms Deep in that Jon's army is going to get his ass kicked and then Littlefinger will turn up with a Vale and save them all, I really really don't want that to happen. I want Jon to win, but it'll be far too cliche if that's how they win.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I'm so annoyed by this episode. Hound was its only redeeming quality. Couldn't we have gotten Blackfish's death instead of the awkward Tyrion-Grey Worm-Missandei trio? Or actually anything of value instead of that.

You know you gotta worry about your writing when Reddit theories top you, and Reddit people don't even know the full story, unlike you. AND AREN'T PAID TO DO IT. Sheesh I'm so peeved.

You tell me that Freys couldn't have done the exact same thing Jaime did in Riverrun? Yeah they could've. Like why do you even drag characters away like that, reintroduce Blackfish, only for an anticlimactic shitty end like that that doesn't further anyone's arc???
And Arya, like what was all that training for? Not to get into the stupidity of having your gut stabbed, BECAUSE SHE WAS CARELESS (there was no plan behind it), dropping into a canal with dirty water, and then suddenly with the help of a rag over her stomach and some soup, the next day she can jump all over the place? Yeah right. Oh ffs.

If Bastardbowl doesn't live up to the hype, I may just quit watching and wait for the books to come out and fuck it.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lotha wrote:You know you gotta worry about your writing when Reddit theories top you, and Reddit people don't even know the full story, unlike you. AND AREN'T PAID TO DO IT. Sheesh I'm so peeved.
I was reading the ASOIAF forum, and there was a topic about what WunWun would do during the battle. This was one of the posts:
Capturing Winterfell during the battle will do more damage than WunWun could ever do on the field. The Bolton's morale will go down, Ramsay will have to dispatch A LOT of troops to take it back... it seems quite plausible that Winterfell would be ill-defended and WunWun could quickly lift Ghost and a few dozen men on its walls. Get Sansa there as well as Davos and some good fighters and the castle can be taken quickly.

Then Jon can try to do an organized retreat past Winterfell, Davos quickly opens a postern/northern gate (not the one the Boltons came from) and suddenly Jon & co are defending Winterfell against the Bolton army. It makes sense that Ramsay would fall for this, he's cocky and I don't think he knows about WunWun or even Ghost. It would be a brilliant plot for TV, we would even have our "ghost in Winterfell" and we don't need the Riders of Rohan Vale Army to save the day. Or have the Vale army show up just as the Boltons have been locked out from Winterfell, then let Jon, Tormund and Ghost sally out to flank them during the battle like in the last Hobbit movie.

Imagine how awesome this could be on TV. Ghost slaughtering the Bolton defenders of Winterfell. Ramsay's realization that he shouldn't have left the castle. Davos, the smuggler, who opens a small gate for Jon (that Jon and Sansa of course knew about). And then the Vale army shows up, Littlefinger wasn't needed after all, and we get an awesome sally-out scene from Tormund/Ghost/Jon where Ghost rips Ramsay apart.
That made me so excited and depressed at the same time, because in the show it will probably just be a Rohan-esque situation where the Vale comes in at the last minute.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Ikr! That would be so cool.

Honestly I would have forgiven Arya's storyline if she just lured the Waif back to her hideout after allowing her to stab her in ep 7. I'd even forgive the offscreen battle. It would have shown she had some sort of plan at least. And then they'd have enough time for her to actually have a meaningful conversation with Jaqen instead of threatening him with a sword and dropping the mic on her way out. "I'm Arya Stark and fuck you" wasn't awesome enough for me to swallow all the bullshit that had happened there.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

In the episode's favor, the hanging scene was one of the funniest moments in the entire show. :lol

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Good dog!

Post by gbruin »

I'm spent.

I'm also as content as I've been since Ned...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Spoilers:

Beautifully shot episode. The battle was really well done. So tense and chaotic. Loved Ramsay's strategy. Hated Jon's.. lack of stragegy? Predictable ending, but it was so satisfying to see the Stark banners on the walls of Winterfell at the end. Also Ramsay's dogs. So satisfying.

WunWun and Rickon though :(

Dany's problems got fixed in 10 minutes at the start of the episode. Didn't see that one coming, lol. I thought it was well done though, so I'm not complaining. Theon and Asha with the teleporting again...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I thought the episode was incredible.

I was frustrated at Jon's lack of strategy and he really did get his ass handed to him for the majority of the battle, I genuinely thought he was going to lose, but that made the battle so much more suspenseful. Before the battle started I was dreading the inevitable Rohan/Vale rescue, but it worked well. I think witnessing Rickon's death (I knew it would be cruel, but I wasn't expecting it to be so cruel), sent Jon over the tipping point to the point where he was incredibly reckless.

Watching Jon beat the shit out of Ramsay was satisfying, I love how Ramsay maintained his cockiness right until the very end, although I thought his death was a bit excessively gory, we didn't need to see his dogs literally bite his jaw off.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Nonspoiler agreement with Timo: The cinematography of the battle was fantastic.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

gbruin wrote:Nonspoiler agreement with Timo: The cinematography of the battle was fantastic.
Agreed. Haven't seen anything like that in big movies even.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Aw man that episode was so well shot. It did make up for the plot holes, and the little things like that wall of people Jon was buried under added so much to the suspense.
It felt like a 30-minute episode to me. When it was over I was like "IS THAT ALL WHERE'S MORE?"

10/10 on imdb.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

wow

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: How long til next season?!?!

Post by gbruin »

AllC392Was wrote:wow
Yeah. WOW!!!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

THE WHITE WOLF! THE KING IN THE NORTH!

Watched the episode this morning. My mind is still blown.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I really liked that finale. I will probably watch the whole series now while it's on hiatus.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Excellent!

Love the stage that has been set by this episode, but other than that I didn't get the mind-blowingness of it that everyone kept telling me about. Maybe part of the reason is because the first 20 mins went exactly according to a fan theory I had read...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Violent Corpse wrote:Excellent!

Love the stage that has been set by this episode, but other than that I didn't get the mind-blowingness of it that everyone kept telling me about. Maybe part of the reason is because the first 20 mins went exactly according to a fan theory I had read...
I knew something was gonna happen with the wildfire, but I tried to stay away from too specific fan theories. I really didn't except almost everybody to die in there. The music during that entire scene was stunning as well.

Never did I expect Arya to pop in at the Twins. When I read something about it online I'd just neglect it, because she was on the other side of the ocean 2 episodes ago. I absolutely loved it though. I'm not an expressive watcher, but both me and my brother were cheering so loud when that happened.

The White Wolf scene was amazing, and reminded me a lot of Robb's King In The North scene in the finale of season 1. I thought it was very moving because of that.

I also love that they picked the broodiest baby ever for baby Jon :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

best episode ever.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »