Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Post by Timotheus »

Started reading Stephen King's Misery today. I only read the Dark Tower series from him before, so definitely intrigued.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I started reading the first book in a series called The Stormlight Archives. Book one is titled The Way of Kings. Looks like it'll be a pretty long read. Supposed to be a 10 book series when it's all said and done, but the author has only released 2 books so far in it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Andy92 wrote:I started reading the first book in a series called The Stormlight Archives. Book one is titled The Way of Kings. Looks like it'll be a pretty long read. Supposed to be a 10 book series when it's all said and done, but the author has only released 2 books so far in it.
Oh you are in for a great ride, trust me. Next book is coming out next year. Sanderson also said that the other books will come out with smaller gaps between them. But yeah, I guess around 15 more years for the 10th book. Why can't everyone be like Erickson? :lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nicklord wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I started reading the first book in a series called The Stormlight Archives. Book one is titled The Way of Kings. Looks like it'll be a pretty long read. Supposed to be a 10 book series when it's all said and done, but the author has only released 2 books so far in it.
Oh you are in for a great ride, trust me. Next book is coming out next year. Sanderson also said that the other books will come out with smaller gaps between them. But yeah, I guess around 15 more years for the 10th book. Why can't everyone be like Erickson? :lol
I've been newly introduced to Sanderson, and I'm really loving his work so far. I've read all of the Mistborn books up through Shadows of Self. Planning to start Bands of Mourning after I finish this Stormlight book. He seems to write pretty quickly, just have to wait for each series to progress since he has a few different ones going on at the same time. I've heard good things about Stormlight, so your comment is even more encouraging. :D

Heard it might be 2018 until the next Mistborn book comes out since 2017 will be Stormlight 3. I'm starting to catch up on his books, so waiting for future releases will start to be a pain. :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

My library absolutely sucks. They don't have like 70% of the books I want to read, and lets be real.. It's not like I'm trying to get a hold of obscure East European underground short stories here. Even classics like The Shining and East of Eden are missing. And when they have them they're rented out 90% of the time..

Anyway, I'm reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah at the moment. That one they did have.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Timotheus wrote:My library absolutely sucks. They don't have like 70% of the books I want to read, and lets be real.. It's not like I'm trying to get a hold of obscure East European underground short stories here. Even classics like The Shining and East of Eden are missing. And when they have them they're rented out 90% of the time..

Anyway, I'm reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah at the moment. That one they did have.
Have you tried buying used books? There are some great sites for that if you buy from good sources 99% of the books will look almost new and their prices are like 20%-40% of original

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nicklord wrote:
Timotheus wrote:My library absolutely sucks. They don't have like 70% of the books I want to read, and lets be real.. It's not like I'm trying to get a hold of obscure East European underground short stories here. Even classics like The Shining and East of Eden are missing. And when they have them they're rented out 90% of the time..

Have you tried buying used books? There are some great sites for that if you buy from good sources 99% of the books will look almost new and their prices are like 20%-40% of original
Yea, that's what I'm looking into right now. In Belgium/The Netherlands you're at at least €6-7 a book second-hand, which is doable if I don't go crazy, because I'm at a budget. Still sucks.. I live in one of the biggest cities of the country.. You'd think that the biggest library here would be up to date..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I like how you say "obscure EAST European" lol.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The obscurest of all places :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Indeed :D

I've gotten a book review job so hopefully soon I'll be reading some dumb self-development books and writing about them. :P

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Timotheus wrote:Anyway, I'm reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah at the moment. That one they did have.
Beautiful book, if anybody's interested. Very captivating.

Gonna give Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy a try now.
Lotha wrote:Indeed :D

I've gotten a book review job so hopefully soon I'll be reading some dumb self-development books and writing about them. :P
Good luck :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Thanks :D No sign of the client in days... So maybe I won't do it after all, lol.

I got the 3rd book of the Millennium trilogy for my birthday. I neither own or have read the first two. Not sure how to proceed :P

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Kinda clever. This person has given you the pleasure of having to read three books!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Lotha wrote:Thanks :D No sign of the client in days... So maybe I won't do it after all, lol.

I got the 3rd book of the Millennium trilogy for my birthday. I neither own or have read the first two. Not sure how to proceed :P
Definitely go back to read them in order. There's a lot of character development that's worthwhile, and there is a ton of plot and backstory that is critical. I think there would be a lot of things that wouldn't make sense if you just start on the third book. And it's a pretty entertaining trilogy by Swedish standards. ;)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Does it get better after page 100? Because I genuinely think I'm too dumb for this book. Economic journalism is great and all, but this might be one of the most boring books I've ever read.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Oh definitely Greg - it's blasphemy not to read a trilogy from the start :D

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I just finished Sebastian Bach's autobio 18 & Life On Skid Row.

Being a big fan of Skid Row and especially of Bach's voice, and knowing his volatile personality and the really unique career path he followed from 80's rock star to Broadway to TV, etc, I thought there might be some pretty interesting back stories. I really wanted to like this book.

Unfortunately it was mostly full of the same old rock & roll lifestyle tales about how much coke he did and how many chicks he nailed, but there was very little real introspection into how his personality and experiences affected his career. His narrative is filled with contradictions and nearly unanimous blame of others and some seemingly dubious explanations for some important events. He spoke very little about his Skid Row bandmates and rarely mentioned them by name, and he wrote a lot about his first wife before they got married then barely acknowledged their 18 yr marriage, and he completely omitted a couple of music and TV projects altogether - all of which probably reveal a whole lot about Bach to the reader, though nothing in his book suggests he recognized this himself. There was some nice stuff about his relationship with his father, and the most compelling anecdote came from his reaction to Ted Nugent's behavior on their VH1 reality show. I wish he'd shared more of those life experiences. We know rock stars party. It's the other stories that make the life unique and interesting.

Normally I don't read a lot of rockers' bios because rock stars tend not to be literary giants or show much sophisticated insight into the life behind the sex and drugs. I think Motley Crue's The Dirt and Duff McKagan's It's So Easy were pretty notable exceptions to this, but Bach's bio was a lot of generic reading for too few moments of interest. It did finish with what sounded mostly like a public plea (and his ongoing one-sided effort) to reunite the original Skid Row lineup which is a show I'd pay a lot to see. A more honest account of the breakup and the ongoing saga to get the band back together would make interesting reading.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've finished reading the first two books in The Stormlight Archive. Highly recommend for fans of epic fantasy. Gonna have to wait for all future releases now, but the first two books were really good reads.

I got The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss for Christmas. I'll probably start it soon-ish. I've got another Mistborn book sitting here I want to read soon too.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

One of the books I got for Christmas was C.S. Lewis' 'Till We Have Faces'. You recommended that book to me a while back, Andy. Really looking forward to reading it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That was one of the first books I read in high school. I need to re-read it because I've forgotten a lot of the details. I liked the read at the time and thought Lewis did a good job with his story of Cupid and Psyche. Hope you like it. :D