Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Timotheus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I know we've been through this already, but since there are a lot of new members and a lot of new books have been read, would you guys and girls mind recommending me some of your favorite books, or just books that you've read recently that impressed you a lot? I love having a bunch of books in the back of my mind when I go book hunting.

For myself, here are some books that I read last year, which I can't wait to read again:

-East of Eden by Steinbeck
-11/22/63 by Stephen King
-The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Reading the first book of the Dune series right now, and I'm getting my mind blown every few chapters as well.

Favorites of all time:

A Storm of Swords - George Martin
Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Lord of the Rings trilogy (hard to pick a favorite) - Tolkien
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Hard not to mention the Narnia chronicles, which I read over and over again as well as a kid. Changed my life.
Image

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 12739
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Andy92 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Timo just read The Way of Kings.
Image

User avatar
Lotha
Colloquial
Posts: 4929
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Lotha » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 pm

^ what he said.

I joined the Sanderson crazy fan tribe.
But really, The Way of Kings is really good, and Words of Radiance even better.
GOGOGOGOGO

And then start the Wheel of Time.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Ubik » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:00 pm

I've had Dune on my bookshelf with a mental "to read" note attached to it for years but still haven't got round to it. I will commit here to it being in my next five to read!

Got re-addicted to Haruki Murakami of late, re-read the ones I already had of his and then got more (my set is nearing completion!). Norwegian Wood is his most famous (and only non sf) novel which might be a good starting point to see if you like his style and general themes. Definitely recommend if you see it lying around.
I have no opinion about Elvis

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Timotheus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Andy92 wrote:Timo just read The Way of Kings.

I WILL!! It's on my list of books I'm always on the lookout for when I'm in a bookstore, but it's practically unfindable here in Belgium :(

Lotha wrote:And then start the Wheel of Time.

Already read the first one!

Ubik wrote:I've had Dune on my bookshelf with a mental "to read" note attached to it for years but still haven't got round to it. I will commit here to it being in my next five to read!

Got re-addicted to Haruki Murakami of late, re-read the ones I already had of his and then got more (my set is nearing completion!). Norwegian Wood is his most famous (and only non sf) novel which might be a good starting point to see if you like his style and general themes. Definitely recommend if you see it lying around.

Thanks! Looks pretty interesting. Can't say I've read a lot of Japanese literature. Only Shusaku Endo's Silence, which was really interesting, but completely different from what you're suggesting.

I've read some dystopian books here and there, but I've never read a lot of SF books (only Douglas Adams comes to mind :D ). I thought Dune would be a great introduction considering the reputations it's got, and three quarters in I think it exceeds its reputation. I definitely recommend it.
Image

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 12739
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Andy92 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Do you ever buy ebooks? If you'd rather have a physical copy let me know and I'll see what I can find for European distributors.
Image

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Ubik » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Timotheus wrote:Thanks! Looks pretty interesting. Can't say I've read a lot of Japanese literature. Only Shusaku Endo's Silence, which was really interesting, but completely different from what you're suggesting.

I've read some dystopian books here and there, but I've never read a lot of SF books (only Douglas Adams comes to mind :D ). I thought Dune would be a great introduction considering the reputations it's got, and three quarters in I think it exceeds its reputation. I definitely recommend it.

Murakami's funny because most of his cultural influences are western, to the point where if you covered the names of the characters and places, you'd be hard pressed to guess the books were set in Japan. But still, he's not for everyone, particularly if you like your narratives to have a nice clear ending! I just tend to identify with his protagonists more than I do with most other authors.
I have no opinion about Elvis

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Timotheus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:23 am

Ubik wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Thanks! Looks pretty interesting. Can't say I've read a lot of Japanese literature. Only Shusaku Endo's Silence, which was really interesting, but completely different from what you're suggesting.

I've read some dystopian books here and there, but I've never read a lot of SF books (only Douglas Adams comes to mind :D ). I thought Dune would be a great introduction considering the reputations it's got, and three quarters in I think it exceeds its reputation. I definitely recommend it.

Murakami's funny because most of his cultural influences are western, to the point where if you covered the names of the characters and places, you'd be hard pressed to guess the books were set in Japan. But still, he's not for everyone, particularly if you like your narratives to have a nice clear ending! I just tend to identify with his protagonists more than I do with most other authors.

I'll give it a try. I'll admit to usually not being really drawn to the more "obscure" stuff. On Goodreads people seem to either love or hate his books (or at least Norwegian Wood), so it will be interesting to see how he will click with me.

Andy92 wrote:Do you ever buy ebooks? If you'd rather have a physical copy let me know and I'll see what I can find for European distributors.

If people are wondering, the rest of this conversation happened on Messenger. It ended in us hating the French together.
Image

User avatar
Lotha
Colloquial
Posts: 4929
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Lotha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am

Timotheus wrote:
Lotha wrote:And then start the Wheel of Time.

Already read the first one!


Well what are you waiting for then? Join Andy with reading The Great Hunt and you two can ask me about the hundred million characters and their whereabouts and WoT history together.

Also, if you do read e-books, hit me up on Messenger (unless Andy has already provided you with Sanderson goodies of course).
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 12739
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Andy92 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 am

Be careful reading The Great Hunt. You'll think it's a pretty simple book until Jana picks out the 53 things you missed in that one chapter.
Image

User avatar
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle
Posts: 15821
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 am
Location: Belgium シ

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Timotheus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:06 am

Ubik wrote:I've had Dune on my bookshelf with a mental "to read" note attached to it for years but still haven't got round to it. I will commit here to it being in my next five to read!

Got re-addicted to Haruki Murakami of late, re-read the ones I already had of his and then got more (my set is nearing completion!). Norwegian Wood is his most famous (and only non sf) novel which might be a good starting point to see if you like his style and general themes. Definitely recommend if you see it lying around.

My brother bought me Norwegian Wood for my birthday, because he saw I put in on my to-read list in Goodreads. Finished it this morning and was so satisfied with it. Based on the descriptions I'd read about it I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but the entire book just made a lot of sense to me. Grief, maturity, solitude. Thanks for the recommendation!
Image

User avatar
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Ubik » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 am

Timotheus wrote:My brother bought me Norwegian Wood for my birthday, because he saw I put in on my to-read list in Goodreads. Finished it this morning and was so satisfied with it. Based on the descriptions I'd read about it I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but the entire book just made a lot of sense to me. Grief, maturity, solitude. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ah, so glad you liked! I'd delayed reading it for years myself for the same reason, despite having loved other Murakami books, but it was worth the wait.
I have no opinion about Elvis

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby gbruin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Just finished What Does This Button Do? It is Bruce Dickinson's (of Iron Maiden fame and legend) just released autobiography. Loved it!!

While Bruce and Maiden have had virtually unparalleled success in the music industry, he is a fascinating individual on so many other levels: professional airline pilot, world class fencer, screenwriter and producer, historian, beer brewer and enthusiast, author, business entrepreneur...the list of accomplishments goes on and on - a true modern day Renaissance man. Oh, and a cancer survivor, too. And then there's that 40 year career in heavy metal. Because of Bruce's history, and because of who he is as a person, this is not the usual rock star autobio with the same old repetitive tales of sex and drugs and drugs and sex and with some sex and drugs on top of that. Bruce's book is far more intelligent and analytical and introspective and personal than the vast majority of musician autobiographies, and it makes for a much more refreshing and interesting read. "Nothing in childhood is wasted" appears several times throughout the pages, as he recognizes his formative experiences and influences that have recurring impacts throughout his diverse adult life, and it presents a more sincere and complete picture of what makes Bruce tick. His writing style is really enjoyable: funny, serious, intelligent. He is a thoughtful guy, and understanding his interests and creativity and success at fronting any number of ventures in life makes it easy to see why this is a really really well written and thoroughly enjoyable book.

There is undoubtedly enough material from one Iron Maiden tour to fill a couple of fascinating volumes full of anecdotes and stories, but he does cover the big highlights of his musical career from his beginnings to Samson to joining Maiden to his solo career to leaving Maiden to his return. His other pursuits get plenty of text, and his love and pursuit of flying takes up nearly as much of the book as does Maiden. He respectfully stays away from much of the personal stories of his bandmates, and the one area he intentionally leaves out altogether is his family life. Considering his world wide fame, that's understandable, though I would love to have a chat with him about how he balanced/balances family (his wife of 27 years and 3 children) with all his passions and pursuits and touring. That is another major chapter that didn't get published.

This book is the stuff I want when I read an autobiography of a musician. It is the story of a man, not of a rock star. I hope Bruce keeps pushing the various buttons in his life just to see what they'll do, and I hope he will continue to write about all those results in the future.

Up the Irons!!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
Andy92
You Waste Your Time
Posts: 12739
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Andy92 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:44 pm

OATHBRINGER

How I love The Stormlight Archive.
Image

User avatar
Lotha
Colloquial
Posts: 4929
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 am
Location: Serbia

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby Lotha » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

Andy92 wrote:OATHBRINGER

How I love The Stormlight Archive.

:yeahthat
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 6346
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Postby gbruin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Currently reading The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko (2013). The central story of the book was a river guide's attempt to break the speed record by rowing a boat through the Grand Canyon. It occurred in 1983 when a record El Niño brought a huge late snowpack to the Rockies, and the subsequent rapid melt caused a runoff that flooded Lake Powell and did significant damage to the Glen Canyon dam, forcing the government to release record amounts of water through the dam downriver, thus creating the conditions for a record transit through the Canyon. The book goes into the history of the Grand Canyon from a geological standpoint, the interaction with Native tribes and the first Europeans around the Grand Canyon, the chaos the previously undammed Colorado River routinely unleashed on the US southwest, and the various politics and policies and conservation themes that have clashed over the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon though the years. Rafting the Canyon has been a bucket list item for me forever. This is a really really entertaining and educational book.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest