The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The shortest distance between 2 points...

Postby gbruin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Another photobucket casualty... :(

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The shortest distance between 2 points...

Postby MuffinMcFluffin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 pm

zazthespaz
Kumar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: maybe I’ll be in Denver for the big G.

Postby zazthespaz » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Wonder what it would look like from space

Postby gbruin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 am

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Anna Kendrick gifs are always going to be welcome.

Postby gbruin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:22 am

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby gbruin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:01 pm

In the runup to the Oscars last weekend, I watched Green Book (via Fandango) and it was really good. It's a beautiful story and very well done. Best picture? Meh, hard to say. I realize that there are some controversies around it's making, particularly with the poor decision to omit Dr Shirley's family's input which compromised it's historical accuracy (the Bohemian Rhapsody people admitted theirs was a fairly loose historical re-creation, so the same should be said for Green Book) but it's still a very good movie.

We also saw The Favourite and it has to be one of my least favorite movies of all time. I usually love Emma Stone but even seeing one of her boobs couldn't remotely save this thing. I hate that Hollywood repeatedly makes pieces about past British royals with elaborate period costumes and terrible harpsichord music and believes it's some level of art. My god it's awful.

Not sure why everyone is so upset that Black Panther didn't win Best Picture. It was very good but I liked [b]Avengers: Infinity War[/b] a lot more.
Last edited by gbruin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Postby Andy92 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:25 pm

The most recent picture of the year winner from the Oscars I’ve seen is Return of the King lol. I’m not much of a movie watcher, but the stuff I do watch is usually fairly popular but doesn’t win best film. I think that’s why fans feel the Oscars are out of touch in general. A movie like Infinity War generate as much if not more hype than any film in 2018, but films like that in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre are never treated as anything more than escapism. Genres like that generally become disregarding regardless of film quality.

Which that actually makes the Return of the King win that much more surprising. But if that same exact movie had been made and it wasn’t based on a book written by a historic author, it wouldn’t have been voted best picture either imo.

I’m not saying movies like Infinity War or The Force Awakens were necessarily deserving of best picture, but there’s a big disconnect between what the public enjoys seeing and what the film critics vote for as well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 pm

And if you fall, at least you tried
As you tremble on the wire...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Postby Andy92 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Speaking of Fury Road... glorious tweetvid of some of the action footage without CGI, and it's still glorious.

https://twitter.com/coenesqued/status/1 ... 2433382400

One of my favourite films of this century, perfect in every way.

Micky
On The Rail

Postby Micky » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:39 pm

I'm watching Pet Sematary Two...and I have no idea why

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Postby MuffinMcFluffin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:44 am

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Watch Infernal Affairs first, it's better.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Postby cheesedip1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 am

----@ Micky I enjoyed Pet Semetary 2, even if it wasnt as good as the first. I wonder how well the Pet Semetary remake will be.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Postby gbruin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:55 am

The Dirt, the movie based on the Motley Crue autobiography of the same name, is now out on Netflix. and it's pretty damn good. All the band members were producers on the movie and guided its development, so it's an accurate adaption of the book which documents the first half of the band's notoriously decadent career. There's lots of sex and drugs and rock and roll, and then there's a whole lot more sex and drugs, so the movie gives a pretty genuine picture of the highs and lows of the L.A. metal scene along Sunset Blvd in Hollywood during it's heyday in the 80's. You'll even catch a few glimpses of some other well known rock stars. The Dirt is the best band biography I've ever read, and this screen adaptation is entertaining and worth seeing for any rock fan. But be warned, from the opening scene on, it's definitely best to keep the kids in the other room for this one.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Postby Dan Dando » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Caught Dragged Across Concrete last night, thoroughly enjoyed :)

Bone Tomahawk, Brawl on Cell Block 99, and now Dragged Across Concrete. S. Craig Zahler's on a roll.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Postby Andy92 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:30 am

Not sure if I’ve ever felt a bigger emotional high following a movie than what I feel after Endgame. What a stellar film.

Micky
On The Rail

Postby Micky » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 pm

ENDGAME WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Postby AB4Lyfe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 pm

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Is it now?

Postby gbruin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Return to “General Discussion”