The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
AB23
Still Remains

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by AB23 »

wow i saw a fantastic movie today. made me wanna play one by one and make a music video on youtube for it

anyone ever seen The Hurt Locker???

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

AB23 wrote:wow i saw a fantastic movie today. made me wanna play one by one and make a music video on youtube for it

anyone ever seen The Hurt Locker???
Yeah man, "The Hurt Locker" is amazing. Jeremy Renner is fantastic in it.

Speaking of Jeremy Renner, anyone seen "The Bourne Legacy" yet? I saw it the other night and despite having heard mixed things about it I loved it. It's definitely not as intriguing as the first three "Bourne" films and to me it felt more like a spin-off than a sequel, but it's a thrilling action film that has a lot going for it. I'd love to see a fifth "Bourne" movie starring both Renner and Matt Damon, and there's actually been some talk of that from what I've heard so my fingers are crossed.

Great film. I look forward to seeing it again. Recommended.

Red_D
Brand New Start

Post by Red_D »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:The first one that comes to mind is "Ted," which is directed, written, and produced by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of "Family Guy." I'm not expecting anything great but it looks like it could be funny (in a very raunchy sorta way). Comes out Friday. :)

Edit: Oh, you mean comedies out in theaters right NOW? Well there's "That's My Boy." It's a hard-R, extremely crude comedy starring Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg. It's stupid overall and pretty terrible, but it has a few moments that are VERY funny. There's also "Rock of Ages," based on the musical of the same name. It's surprisingly good and really funny IMO. Tom Cruise's performance is unreal. Plus the '80s rock music is great of course. "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" and "Men in Black 3" are also playing in theaters, and both are awesome.
I watched Ted last night and it was very funny but that bear has got one potty mouth :humina

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Ted is hilarious
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Saw Brave on the weekend. Meh, it was alright. I hold Pixar to a high standard and this didn't really live up to that. Neither did Cars 2. Hoping this is just a slump for them and they get back on track with the next one.

Also a couple weeks ago I checked out a film called Beasts of the Southern Wild. First movie I've seen that I have no opinion on because I felt like the entire movie just flew over my head. For some reason I just didn't 'get' it, so really looking to see it again.

Dan Kyte
Brand New Start

Post by Dan Kyte »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/QqsQ-gTb7Ds[/youtube]

Anyone else really excited for this film? I'm a big fan of the director, Rian Johnson.. and Joseph Gordon Levitt/Bruce Willis are just.. great :)
"I heard someone say recently, 'No shit, no roses.' I thought that was interesting because, you know, you've got to fertilize them in something. I think we're all being fertilized with our own shit and we can choose to grow into fucking amazing people from it." - Glen Hansard (The Frames/The Swell Season)

Scarface
White Knuckled

Post by Scarface »

Am I the only one PSYCHED for The Hobbit :shrug

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

No, you're not :D they're making 3 films out of it now! It's going to be huge!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Scarface wrote:Am I the only one PSYCHED for The Hobbit :shrug
I'm so pumped! Another Tolkien trilogy = a dream come true. :D

And I agree, Dan, "Looper" looks sick!

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Scarface wrote:Am I the only one PSYCHED for The Hobbit :shrug
I'm so pumped! Another Tolkien trilogy = a dream come true. :D
I'm pretty darn excited for The Hobbit. Been a LOTR nerd for about 5 years now. Can't wait. Love Peter Jackson's stuff.

Scarface
White Knuckled

Post by Scarface »

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most from The Hobbit is the soundtrack

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm very excited for The Hobbit but three movies seems a little excessive. I hope there isn't a bunch of fluff in these movies.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ That was my first reaction, but if you take all the material from the book + all the stuff we know about from other books there is a lot of material. I think there will be some fluff, but I don't think it'll ruin the movies for me..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Nick wrote:I'm very excited for The Hobbit but three movies seems a little excessive. I hope there isn't a bunch of fluff in these movies.
They're going to be using material from lots of other sources too. It's going to be about a lot more than just Bilbo Baggins, though from what I understand, he will be the main focus of the three films. It seems like they're going to make the trilogy end right where "The Fellowship of the Rings" movie starts.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Ahh, okay, that makes a little more sense. I haven't been keeping too up to date with it.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Scarface
White Knuckled

Post by Scarface »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:They're going to be using material from lots of other sources too. It's going to be about a lot more than just Bilbo Baggins, though from what I understand, he will be the main focus of the three films. It seems like they're going to make the trilogy end right where "The Fellowship of the Rings" movie starts.
When the Blu-Ray comes out for all three in the future I hope to Round up all of my LOTR Blu-Rays and The Hobbit Blu-Rays and watch from beginning to end (of course, I might have to reserve a whole day for this)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm very excited for The Hobbit but three movies seems a little excessive. I hope there isn't a bunch of fluff in these movies.
They're going to be using material from lots of other sources too. It's going to be about a lot more than just Bilbo Baggins, though from what I understand, he will be the main focus of the three films. It seems like they're going to make the trilogy end right where "The Fellowship of the Rings" movie starts.
They're not going to end the movie where LOTR starts as far as I know. It'll just be The Hobbit and the stuff that happened at the same time. This is an interesting part of an analyse by a fan:
ADAPTATION

Jackson never said "bridge film." I got that one wrong last week but I wasn't alone. That idea never quite went away and all the talk about the appendices, made it seem likely. But Jackson said three "Hobbit" films and that is just what he meant. In the process of adapting the book to a film, in the tradition of Tolkien, it was "a tale that grew in the telling." (And hey! This article too!)

Jackson, thankfully, promised to do one thing differently than the book: He needed to flesh out the Dwarf characters. Dwarven culture, character and history needed to be revealed here; Each of Thorin's company needed to have dialog and motives and story arcs and character development. This would take time, screen time and then whatever starts in the establishing film then needs to be finished in what comes next.

From my time on set, I cannot provide any details, but I can say it was my impression that the actors and the writers wanted fully realized characters on screen and not caricatures. This, for my movie-ticket-money, makes for a much better but longer film.

Other features besides Dwarves we already know about from the media that could chew up screentime:

Evangeline Lily's character of Tauriel

Ringwraiths in tombs

Radagast The Brown

White Council

Galadriel and Gandalf

Dol Guldur

Bilbo telling Frodo the story
Entire article here (great read for a fan!)
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... t=31970022
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I understand Peter Jackson never said there would be a "bridge film," all I meant was that it seems to me that's how it's going to turn out.

Anyway, I'll likely be seeing "The Campaign," "The Odd Life of Timothy Green," "Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed" (prequel to the original "Saints and Soldiers"), "ParaNorman," and "The Expendables 2" in the coming week. I'll let you guys know what I think of them.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: ITS YOU PICK FRIDAY!

Post by zazthespaz »

Considering seeing a movie tomorrow - do I see The Expendables 2 or Nitro Circus 3?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Expendables 2 is a fun, check your brain at the door flick. I was laughing because it was full of old people. I'm talking 65 and above. I'm 33 and I was like the youngest person there, lol.

Last movie I saw was the original Tremors on the big screen. We have a discount theater that shows old (cult) movies at midnight every other weekend. Saw Big Trouble In Little China there earlier this summer.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23