The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

The shortest distance between 2 points...

Post by gbruin »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Super late to the party but thanks for these!
No problem! I figured somebody would enjoy them. :)
I thanked him above on Jan 4. If you didn't spend so much time driving in gigantic C shapes around me, you would have gotten to the party much sooner.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The shortest distance between 2 points...

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

gbruin wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
I thanked him above on Jan 4. If you didn't spend so much time driving in gigantic C shapes around me, you would have gotten to the party much sooner.
Ahaha that's totally my bad. I don't enter this thread unless I get a notification, and I don't get a notification unless I'm quoted. See how I responded to your post so quickly this time? ;)

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: maybe I’ll be in Denver for the big G.

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
A) it’s just one “C”
B) I’m trying to write out “Cameron <3 Greg” by tracing my path across the country with a GPS
C) bet you feel like a jerk now huh?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Wonder what it would look like from space

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote:
gbruin wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
A) it’s just one “C”
B) I’m trying to write out “Cameron <3 Greg” by tracing my path across the country with a GPS
C) bet you feel like a jerk now huh?
Well, yes, but not much more than normal.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Anna Kendrick gifs are always going to be welcome.

Post by gbruin »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
gbruin wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Ahaha that's totally my bad. I don't enter this thread unless I get a notification, and I don't get a notification unless I'm quoted. See how I responded to your post so quickly this time? ;)
:lol You're all good, Muffin. Just wanted to make sure you know how much your work was appreciated!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by gbruin »

In the runup to the Oscars last weekend, I watched Green Book (via Fandango) and it was really good. It's a beautiful story and very well done. Best picture? Meh, hard to say. I realize that there are some controversies around it's making, particularly with the poor decision to omit Dr Shirley's family's input which compromised it's historical accuracy (the Bohemian Rhapsody people admitted theirs was a fairly loose historical re-creation, so the same should be said for Green Book) but it's still a very good movie.

We also saw The Favourite and it has to be one of my least favorite movies of all time. I usually love Emma Stone but even seeing one of her boobs couldn't remotely save this thing. I hate that Hollywood repeatedly makes pieces about past British royals with elaborate period costumes and terrible harpsichord music and believes it's some level of art. My god it's awful.

Not sure why everyone is so upset that Black Panther didn't win Best Picture. It was very good but I liked Avengers: Infinity War a lot more.
Last edited by gbruin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The most recent picture of the year winner from the Oscars I’ve seen is Return of the King lol. I’m not much of a movie watcher, but the stuff I do watch is usually fairly popular but doesn’t win best film. I think that’s why fans feel the Oscars are out of touch in general. A movie like Infinity War generate as much if not more hype than any film in 2018, but films like that in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre are never treated as anything more than escapism. Genres like that generally become disregarding regardless of film quality.

Which that actually makes the Return of the King win that much more surprising. But if that same exact movie had been made and it wasn’t based on a book written by a historic author, it wouldn’t have been voted best picture either imo.

I’m not saying movies like Infinity War or The Force Awakens were necessarily deserving of best picture, but there’s a big disconnect between what the public enjoys seeing and what the film critics vote for as well.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:The most recent picture of the year winner from the Oscars I’ve seen is Return of the King lol. I’m not much of a movie watcher, but the stuff I do watch is usually fairly popular but doesn’t win best film. I think that’s why fans feel the Oscars are out of touch in general. A movie like Infinity War generate as much if not more hype than any film in 2018, but films like that in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre are never treated as anything more than escapism. Genres like that generally become disregarding regardless of film quality.

Which that actually makes the Return of the King win that much more surprising. But if that same exact movie had been made and it wasn’t based on a book written by a historic author, it wouldn’t have been voted best picture either imo.

I’m not saying movies like Infinity War or The Force Awakens were necessarily deserving of best picture, but there’s a big disconnect between what the public enjoys seeing and what the film critics vote for as well.
The Academy likes the occasional epic but needs them to be character driven at heart. Return of the King would definitely have had a harder time were it not a literature classic, but it's still built around character and themes and so would stand something of a chance. Whereas I'd argue Infinity War only has any impact with you if you're personally invested in the whole series.

Though they're definitely also colossally snobbish against genre films (Dark Knight and Mad Max were robbed).
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:
Andy92 wrote:The most recent picture of the year winner from the Oscars I’ve seen is Return of the King lol. I’m not much of a movie watcher, but the stuff I do watch is usually fairly popular but doesn’t win best film. I think that’s why fans feel the Oscars are out of touch in general. A movie like Infinity War generate as much if not more hype than any film in 2018, but films like that in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre are never treated as anything more than escapism. Genres like that generally become disregarding regardless of film quality.

The Academy likes the occasional epic but needs them to be character driven at heart. Return of the King would definitely have had a harder time were it not a literature classic, but it's still built around character and themes and so would stand something of a chance. Whereas I'd argue Infinity War only has any impact with you if you're personally invested in the whole series.

Though they're definitely also colossally snobbish against genre films (Dark Knight and Mad Max were robbed).
I almost mentioned Dark Knight as one that got robbed. I even agree that character-driven stories make for the best movies compared to ones that just have flashy effects. But I’m just a casual movie watcher and most years I haven’t even watched the movie that won best picture lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Speaking of Fury Road... glorious tweetvid of some of the action footage without CGI, and it's still glorious.

https://twitter.com/coenesqued/status/1 ... 2433382400

One of my favourite films of this century, perfect in every way.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

I'm watching Pet Sematary Two...and I have no idea why
Thanks Andy!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Andy92 wrote:The most recent picture of the year winner from the Oscars I’ve seen is Return of the King lol.
Welp, looks like somebody has to see The Departed.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Watch Infernal Affairs first, it's better.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

----@ Micky I enjoyed Pet Semetary 2, even if it wasnt as good as the first. I wonder how well the Pet Semetary remake will be.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The Dirt, the movie based on the Motley Crue autobiography of the same name, is now out on Netflix. and it's pretty damn good. All the band members were producers on the movie and guided its development, so it's an accurate adaption of the book which documents the first half of the band's notoriously decadent career. There's lots of sex and drugs and rock and roll, and then there's a whole lot more sex and drugs, so the movie gives a pretty genuine picture of the highs and lows of the L.A. metal scene along Sunset Blvd in Hollywood during it's heyday in the 80's. You'll even catch a few glimpses of some other well known rock stars. The Dirt is the best band biography I've ever read, and this screen adaptation is entertaining and worth seeing for any rock fan. But be warned, from the opening scene on, it's definitely best to keep the kids in the other room for this one.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Caught Dragged Across Concrete last night, thoroughly enjoyed :)

Bone Tomahawk, Brawl on Cell Block 99, and now Dragged Across Concrete. S. Craig Zahler's on a roll.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Not sure if I’ve ever felt a bigger emotional high following a movie than what I feel after Endgame. What a stellar film.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

ENDGAME WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Andy!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Micky wrote:ENDGAME WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Is it now?

Post by gbruin »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Micky wrote:ENDGAME WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How long til we can discuss it without worrying about spoilers?