The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I saw "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" the other day. Great movie. Steve Carell is fantastic as always. The changes in tone are too sudden and rough, though, as it doesn't flow between comedy and drama as well as it should have IMO. But overall I liked it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

You know of any good comedies out in theaters right now Steve? Like pretty much just a pure comedy.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

The first one that comes to mind is "Ted," which is directed, written, and produced by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of "Family Guy." I'm not expecting anything great but it looks like it could be funny (in a very raunchy sorta way). Comes out Friday. :)

Edit: Oh, you mean comedies out in theaters right NOW? Well there's "That's My Boy." It's a hard-R, extremely crude comedy starring Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg. It's stupid overall and pretty terrible, but it has a few moments that are VERY funny. There's also "Rock of Ages," based on the musical of the same name. It's surprisingly good and really funny IMO. Tom Cruise's performance is unreal. Plus the '80s rock music is great of course. "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted" and "Men in Black 3" are also playing in theaters, and both are awesome.
Last edited by ALTERSTEVE on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Thanks dude. I was looking over my local theater listings and didn't see anything currently out jumping at me.

Edit: Yeah I couldn't decide if I thought Rock of Ages was cheesy looking or funny lol. I might give it a go though. Even if it's cheesy I figure I'd enjoy it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

10topprs
Bought The CDs

Post by 10topprs »

I'm a horror and sci-fi nerd... Pretty psyched for Jurassic Park 4! Don't know if any of ya'll saw but they just hired the writers from "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" to pen the screenplay for it... I loved "Rise" so I'm thinkin' they're gonna nail Jurassic Park!

I'm pretty poor so I haven't been able to make it out to the theater in a while haha... Want to see Prometheus pretty bad!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm not a big fan of movies, to be honest. I enjoy them a lot as social experiences with my friends or family but I never watch them by myself.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

10topprs wrote:I'm a horror and sci-fi nerd... Pretty psyched for Jurassic Park 4! Don't know if any of ya'll saw but they just hired the writers from "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" to pen the screenplay for it... I loved "Rise" so I'm thinkin' they're gonna nail Jurassic Park!

I'm pretty poor so I haven't been able to make it out to the theater in a while haha... Want to see Prometheus pretty bad!
Speaking of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," its sequel is called "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" and will be out next year! Stoked!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

So its basically how the Apes take over San Francisco and eventually USA...??? Not sure how they can top the last one, it was epic..

JURASSIC PARK 4!????!!!!! DAFUQ?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:I saw "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" the other day. Great movie. Steve Carell is fantastic as always. The changes in tone are too sudden and rough, though, as it doesn't flow between comedy and drama as well as it should have IMO. But overall I liked it.
I assume they stole that title from Chris Cornell,right? That's such a great song, so I could see a movie theme behind that.

Otherwise, is it me, or are movies just so unoriginal right now? Everything seems to be a remake, a sequel, an adaptation of a comic, or even a prequel. There are so few original ideas out there. I guess that speaks to the consumer as much as the producer, but it's kind of a drag.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

gbruin wrote:
ALTERSTEVE wrote:I saw "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" the other day. Great movie. Steve Carell is fantastic as always. The changes in tone are too sudden and rough, though, as it doesn't flow between comedy and drama as well as it should have IMO. But overall I liked it.
I assume they stole that title from Chris Cornell,right? That's such a great song, so I could see a movie theme behind that.

Otherwise, is it me, or are movies just so unoriginal right now? Everything seems to be a remake, a sequel, an adaptation of a comic, or even a prequel. There are so few original ideas out there. I guess that speaks to the consumer as much as the producer, but it's kind of a drag.
well they did make the avengers, and are making another spiderman series... i guess whatever sells. i mean have you seen how many vampire/zombie/apocalypse movies have been made in the past 5 years?

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Jim wrote:So its basically how the Apes take over San Francisco and eventually USA...??? Not sure how they can top the last one, it was epic..
They're going to be taking over the whole world in the next one. If you stayed through the credits of the first film, you'd have seen a sequence implying a global pandemic caused by the virus that was created by James Franco's character. The entire human race will be wiped out.

Anyway, just went and bought "21 Jump Street" this morning. I'll probably be watching it tonight. Hilarious movie.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

So there's a rumor going around the internet lately that Marvel Studios will announce the development and 2014 release of a "Guardians of the Galaxy" film, which will be set within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They also seem to have plans to produce "Black Panther" and "Ant-Man" films as well!

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-the- ... ob-183220/

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I didn't cry though so -1 point

Post by zazthespaz »

Brave - 8/10. Probably saying this because Pixar makes the best movies and I'm blinded by that fact. It was a good story though with your typical Disney/Pixar humor and creativity, really like the music too as odd as that may sound on a hard rock band's forum... Could have a good sequel, I'd recommend it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Drivenunder4
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Drivenunder4 »

Watched Ted on its opening night. I'm a big Family Guy fan so I thought it was possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen. Very raunchy and pop culture based humor.. the same as the show so I loved it. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

I watched Friends With Benefits last night, good lawd Mila Kunis is BEAUTIFUL. Wish she was my friend with benefits.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Decay

Post by Decay »

Macca wrote:I watched Friends With Benefits last night, good lawd Mila Kunis is BEAUTIFUL. Wish she was my friend with benefits.
Join the club, haha.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Btw, has anyone watched Man on a Ledge? I think that movie is fantastic. If you haven't watched it yet, then I'm recommending you to.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I finished watching "The King's Speech" for about the fourth or fifth time. As one with a speech impediment, you could say that it's a very special film to me. Colin Firth's performance is out of this world.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Marvel has announced several new films to be released as part of their Marvel Cinematic Universe: the sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" will be titled "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and the sequel to "Thor" will be titled "Thor: The Dark World." Also announced were "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Ant-Man." I'm very excited. :D

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Ronal The Barbarian...

I don't even know what to say.
I didn't expect THAT.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL