The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
UninvitedZero
Isolated

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by UninvitedZero »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 pm RIP Ray Liotta :/
Bummer. To me, he'll always be Tommy Vercetti from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Some surprising but cool (imo) movie news…

I was 16 when I saw Constantine at the cinema back in 2005. It wasn’t perfect but was quite decent, I thought. Well it’s just been announced that a sequel is on the way. Same director, Keanu Reeves back as the titular main character. I’m assuming Peter Stormare will return as Satan.

Here’s to hoping it turns out… not pants.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

This is such a good interview if you’re into film music :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Latest movies I saw were Avatar 2 and John Wick 4. Both movies not being as good as their predecessors. I feel like JW1 might be the best in the franchise for me.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:33 pm Latest movies I saw were Avatar 2 and John Wick 4. Both movies not being as good as their predecessors. I feel like JW1 might be the best in the franchise for me.
I don't think they've ever topped the nightclub scene from that first one :headbang

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:46 pm
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:33 pm Latest movies I saw were Avatar 2 and John Wick 4. Both movies not being as good as their predecessors. I feel like JW1 might be the best in the franchise for me.
I don't think they've ever topped the nightclub scene from that first one :headbang
They could have easily cut an hour out of JW4 and it would have been a better movie.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dragged myself to the cinema for the first time since Batman to see GOTG3, was good! Still really just preparing myself for the true event-film of the year that is Barbie.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:34 pm Dragged myself to the cinema for the first time since Batman to see GOTG3, was good! Still really just preparing myself for the true event-film of the year that is Barbie.
Brace yourself for the Barbie-Oppenheimer double feature.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'm pessimistically looking forward to Oppenheimer.

On one hand, that little section of science/politics/human rights/religion/conflict in human history, and how they all overlaid on each other, is about as compelling as there has ever been. On the other hand, I am worried that Christopher Nolan will overdramatize and underreport it all in the movie in the name of creating some grand production.

I've read The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Richard Rhodes - my single favorite nonfiction book ever) and American Prometheus (the definitive bio of Oppenheimer by Bird and Sherwin), and I don't know how Nolan can adequately tell this story in a 3 hour movie. Dunkirk was a beautiful visual but it missed out on so much of that enormous, though much simpler, event. I'm expecting something similar.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

gbruin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:24 am I'm pessimistically looking forward to Oppenheimer.

On one hand, that little section of science/politics/human rights/religion/conflict in human history, and how they all overlaid on each other, is about as compelling as there has ever been. On the other hand, I am worried that Christopher Nolan will overdramatize and underreport it all in the movie in the name of creating some grand production.

I've read The Making of the Atomic Bomb (Richard Rhodes - my single favorite nonfiction book ever) and American Prometheus (the definitive bio of Oppenheimer by Bird and Sherwin), and I don't know how Nolan can adequately tell this story in a 3 hour movie. Dunkirk was a beautiful visual but it missed out on so much of that enormous, though much simpler, event. I'm expecting something similar.
I'm similar to you. Being British, Dunkirk was very disappointing. I didn't think it was particularly realistic (especially the much-commended air combat sequences) or particularly dramatically satisfying.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Speaking of Nolan, this is worth a watch :rockon

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

My curiosity got the better of me and I went to see The Flash, not sure I've ever seen a film undercut its own good work quite so efficiently.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Oppenheimer

Post by gbruin »

I saw Oppenheimer last night. I was very excited, and anxious, about this movie for a few reasons. Several years ago I read American Prometheus, the book on which the movie was based, and I've read several other books about Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project, so it's a character and period that I am pretty familiar with. I was also worried that Christopher Nolan would needlessly overdo what was an already compelling story, an unparalleled moment in history and science, and a fascinating and complicated persona.

Sure enough, Nolan tried to make his film way too important and artsy - too much jumping around in time, not enough explanation of who is who and their roles in the story - including the namesake of the movie, confusing and unnecessary flashes of real and imaginary scenes in a presumed effort to portray what Oppenheimer may have been thinking... It was very similar to how he ruined Dunkirk. It ceases to become a Biopic and becomes Nolan's artistic interpretation. Now it's a very expertly made film. The movie was beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted. The star studded cast is led by Cillian Murphy (lead role of Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders) who plays the title role and is absolutely fantastic, as is Robert Downey Jr in his role as Lewis Strauss. The movie makes an effort to include many of the seminal scientists who played key roles but I know who all these men and women were and I had a hard time keeping track. My family spent much of the movie asking me who was who. Meanwhile the movie spends too much time on legendary figures Einstein and Bohr who had relatively minimal involvement. We saw it in IMAX and the scenic panoramas and effects look great, but the format is unnecessary for much of the film.

The movie has good intentions and a gimme subject, but the career and mind of Oppenheimer is something that needs to be accurate and informative more than it needs to be entertaining and engrossing, and Nolan's final product is largely overwritten and overdirected and ultimately detracts, or distracts, from a person and period of history that needs no magnification. Give me a less adorned and more honest documentary. Or just give me the book again. It did win the Pulitzer Prize for Biography after all.

But I'd watch it again before I'd pay to see Barbie.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Oppenheimer

Post by Crumbso »

gbruin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:33 am I saw Oppenheimer last night. I was very excited, and anxious, about this movie for a few reasons. Several years ago I read American Prometheus, the book on which the movie was based, and I've read several other books about Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project, so it's a character and period that I am pretty familiar with. I was also worried that Christopher Nolan would needlessly overdo what was an already compelling story, an unparalleled moment in history and science, and a fascinating and complicated persona.

Sure enough, Nolan tried to make his film way too important and artsy - too much jumping around in time, not enough explanation of who is who and their roles in the story - including the namesake of the movie, confusing and unnecessary flashes of real and imaginary scenes in a presumed effort to portray what Oppenheimer may have been thinking... It was very similar to how he ruined Dunkirk. It ceases to become a Biopic and becomes Nolan's artistic interpretation. Now it's a very expertly made film. The movie was beautifully filmed and wonderfully acted. The star studded cast is led by Cillian Murphy (lead role of Thomas Shelby in Peaky Blinders) who plays the title role and is absolutely fantastic, as is Robert Downey Jr in his role as Lewis Strauss. The movie makes an effort to include many of the seminal scientists who played key roles but I know who all these men and women were and I had a hard time keeping track. My family spent much of the movie asking me who was who. Meanwhile the movie spends too much time on legendary figures Einstein and Bohr who had relatively minimal involvement. We saw it in IMAX and the scenic panoramas and effects look great, but the format is unnecessary for much of the film.

The movie has good intentions and a gimme subject, but the career and mind of Oppenheimer is something that needs to be accurate and informative more than it needs to be entertaining and engrossing, and Nolan's final product is largely overwritten and overdirected and ultimately detracts, or distracts, from a person and period of history that needs no magnification. Give me a less adorned and more honest documentary. Or just give me the book again. It did win the Pulitzer Prize for Biography after all.

But I'd watch it again before I'd pay to see Barbie.
That's Nolan alright. He seems to have bought into the hype about his movies. I've not properly enjoyed one of them since Inception. Dunkirk was a disaster, totally disconnected from the actual pain, tragedy and will to survive of the people in the actual event (and no, the aircraft scenes were not realistic in terms of representation of WW2 air combat, they just didn't have much CGI).

Shame to hear about Oppenheimer, I thought this might finally be a chance to focus on character and good dialogue with a more straightforward narrative and a climactic event.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I saw Oppenheimer this afternoon and largely enjoyed it. But that’s coming from someone who’s not done much research on the Manhattan Project outside what you hear in history classes. I found the stories of Oppenheimer and Strauss post WWII to be interesting since it was largely all new to me.

I’m a big fan of Cillian Murphy and thought he was fantastic in this film.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Annoyingly I'm ill at the moment so gonna have to wait till next week for both Barbie and Oppenheimer, boooo. Nolan definitely has his *thing* that he does though which can sometimes get in the way of the story he's trying to tell. Looking forward to it though (in a bleak way).

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Will be giving Barbie and Oppenheimer a hard pass. This looks interesting though...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Oppenheimer

Post by gbruin »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:37 pm Dunkirk was a disaster, totally disconnected from the actual pain, tragedy and will to survive of the people in the actual event
Exactly how I feel. It's almost unforgivable. His presentation of Oppenheimer isn't nearly as morally egregious, but it's just as tangential.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Talk to Me

Post by MaraCarr »

Anyone seen the new horror movie called “Talk to Me”?