The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Dan Dando »

gbruin wrote:I hadn't been that moved by a movie since Rudderless a few years ago.
Such a great film. Billy Crudup and the late Anton Yelchin :bow

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri on TV the other day. I was really swept up by that story. I hadn't been that moved by a movie since Rudderless a few years ago.

And then it got to the end and it just stopped.

What the fuck? Seriously? You think that's art or something clever? I'm watching your movie for you to tell me a story and I expect you to come up with an ending. Have the nads to say something. If I have to imagine my own story I'll go write my own. I was an English major for long enough that I can do that.

That's crap. Utter nonsense. Ruined what was really an outstanding movie.
I rented it about a week ago. Loved the movie, but I feel the same way. The ending was just sort of... eh? And I didn't really see what was so great about Rockwell's performance that landed him the Oscar for it. I love Sam, but he's had much better roles over the years. Then again, the Oscars sometimes seem to be more of a "congrats for your cumulative effort over multiple movies, here's the award for this one cause we need a reason to give you one."
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Saw the new Tomb Raider yesterday with the kids. It was pretty entertaining. There are some hard to believe interpersonal dynamics here and there, but it is after all a movie based on a video game, so this isn't expected to be some great psychologically deep masterpiece into human relationships and interactions. Just roll with it and it's a fun ride.

And Alicia Vikander is not ugly. Really really not ugly. I also didn't know she's married to Michael Fassbender, who is really not ugly either.

Damn, I wish I were young again.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

TenaciousBe wrote:And I didn't really see what was so great about Rockwell's performance that landed him the Oscar for it. I love Sam, but he's had much better roles over the years. Then again, the Oscars sometimes seem to be more of a "congrats for your cumulative effort over multiple movies, here's the award for this one cause we need a reason to give you one."
Sometimes it's just a case of it not being the strongest year in terms of the category really. Maybe Willem Dafoe was his closest rival for it. Where as if the film came out last year he would have had the likes of Mahershala Ali and Jeff Bridges to contend with.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I was thinking, can Harrison Ford claim to have had the best ever run of films in a relatively short space of time? :D

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

John Cazale is a candidate

The Godfather - 72
The Conversation - 74
The Godfather Part II - 74
Dog Day Afternoon - 75
The Deer Hunter - 78

A little longer in time, but they were also his only five feature films!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:John Cazale is a candidate

The Godfather - 72
The Conversation - 74
The Godfather Part II - 74
Dog Day Afternoon - 75
The Deer Hunter - 78

A little longer in time, but they were also his only five feature films!
Very good shout there, Ubik. He died so young as well (42) :/

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jim Carrey had a hell of a run in his first few years of features. Ace Ventura, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Ace 2, Liar Liar, Cable Guy, Truman Show, Man on the Moon, all from 94-99.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I saw Infinity War last night! :S :X :( :no :rockon :headbang :peace :dance

Now the wait until May 3rd 2019 begins... :slam :lol

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I saw Infinity War last night! :S :X :( :no :rockon :headbang :peace :dance

Now the wait until May 3rd 2019 begins... :slam :lol
A movie experience I’ve never had before and an emotional rollercoaster unlike any other. Absolutely blown away, lived up to the 10 years of hype, speechless
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I went to see A Quiet Place today, and the woman working at the movie theater told me I was the first person she’d seen come in and buy a ticket for something other that Infinity War lol.

A Quiet Place is a fantastic film. The actors did such a good job pulling out emotion with such little dialog. I had read online that some people weren’t thrilled about how it ended, and while I can see that to some degree, I thought it was a really well done movie. Would give it about an 8.5/10.

I’m not personally well-versed on horror films. I didn’t think this film was all that scary, but it’s got a pretty intense plot and the characters sell it well. It’s a good story that shows the lengths parents go through to protect their kids.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Saw Super Troopers 2 on Thursday and we were the only ones in that theater even though the movie released on 4/20. It was also not good so that didn't help. Saw Infinity War last night and it's the first one I've enjoyed a lot since Guardians 1 or Winter Soldier. Really felt Thanos felt fleshed out compared to Ultron the way they humanized him and the stakes felt real. Really enjoyed the way they ended it as well without doing something like the dirt rising off Superman's coffin in BvS.

Spoilers ahead (can't remember how we tag them here)

I will say though, while I can forgive Dr. Strange for giving Thanos the time stone due to having seen all the futures he know what happens in the one they succeed so he wants to match it, Starlord really pissed me off when he couldn't save his tantrum for an extra 10 seconds, especially after he was the one that essentially told Drax to save his. It was an overly inserted Gilligan that wasn't even necessary due to how much ass Thanos was already kicking.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I’m going to see Infinity War by myself tonight because I’m too impatient to wait for my friends.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:I’m going to see Infinity War by myself tonight because I’m too impatient to wait for my friends.
Good Idea! :D :lol I want to go see it again so badly :lol Im watching clips people film on their shitty cameras in the theater on YouTube because I miss it that much :lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:I’m going to see Infinity War by myself tonight because I’m too impatient to wait for my friends.
Good Idea! :D :lol I want to go see it again so badly :lol Im watching clips people film on their shitty cameras in the theater on YouTube because I miss it that much :lol
I think it’s a good idea. I saw AB by myself last year so this is nothing.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Infinity War

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Holy. Shit.

AHart96
Rise Today

Re: Infinity War

Post by AHart96 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Holy. Shit.
:yeahthat
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Infinity War

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AHart96 wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Holy. Shit.
:yeahthat
The plot of the next Avengers movie is now pretty obvious, but holy shit this movie...it lived up. Thanos is an amazing villain.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I avoided this thread until I could see the movie myself.

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I totally agree with FishTacos above, too. StarLord, you prick.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

gbruin wrote:I avoided this thread until I could see the movie myself.

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I totally agree with FishTacos above, too. StarLord, you prick.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.
They really did Thanos justice, and they created him in a way that lets the audience feel empathy towards him.

SPOILERS AHEAD (MAYBE):

I doubt all the characters that died will remain dead. After Avengers 4, which will be released this time next year, some of the dead characters will return and some of the alive characters will die. I’m assuming the majority of deaths will come from the original squad of Avengers.