Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Talk about anything and everything here.
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Batman/Superman Movie (2016)

Post by Ubik »

Dan Dando wrote:It's an odd one, isn't it? I mean, to go from rumours of Bryan Cranston and Joaquin Phoenix to... Jesse Eisenberg. I like him, but I honestly can't imagine him as Lex Luthor.

I suppose it'll be a very different Lex Luthor than we've ever seen before really.

You're right about Irons though.
He's a good actor, he's just also the least menacing person ever. Hadn't heard the Phoenix rumours, THAT would've been something.
For all of the hope that it brings...

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Joaquin Phoenix would have been insanely cool to see as Lex. Denzel Washington was rumored at one point too, and that also would have been perfect. As for Bryan Cranston, I think he's a marvelous actor and has the right kind of charisma and menace needed, but I have a feeling he would just be playing Mr. White again. He'd do a good job, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Jesse Eisenberg is an interesting choice, though. Warner Bros. and Zack Snyder are turning heads left and right with their casting choices here. I can see Eisenberg embodying the charm, charisma, huge ego, inner conflicts, and outward business-like appearance that's necessary for Lex Luthor -- rather than the comedic, over-the-top versions played by Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey. I can't see him being very menacing enough, though, like Ubik said, but I'm being optimistic. Sometimes an actor can surprise you. I'm still very excited to see Ben Affleck as Batman too. I think he'll smash it out of the park.

Oh, and Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth? Nailed it. I can see him giving a more aggressive performance than what Michael Caine did, but with the direction this movie seems to be headed, that seems perfect. I think this the first time I've seen a casting announcement with this movie that made me smile rather than giving an audible "what the HELL?"

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

It'll be interesting to see him bald lol. That said, I'm sure he'll be a younger Lex...maybe kind of introducing him. Technically Superman is still young based off of the timeline in the last film.
Photobucket cash grab.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Yeah, I like that they're doing a younger Lex Luthor. It could make for an interesting foil for the younger Superman for sure.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

The only thing that worries me with Jesse Eisenberg is that, like Ubik said, I can't really see him being menacing in the role of Lex. When I think of Eisenberg doing the menacing villain thing... I can't help but think of Christopher Mintz-Plasse in Kick Ass.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do :)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

He'll always be Columbus from Zombieland to me.

I dunno, every announcement for this so far has reduced my anticipation for it. Irons will be great but there's only so much a butler can do in a superhero film. That said, a really well written Batman could save it. As ever.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I could maybe see him in the sort of treacherous, slimy evil role. I couldn't see him as the big businessman that would shout down his board of directors of whatever but he could probably work as the backstabbing one behind the scenes. He was in The Social Network, right? Maybe he can just channel Mark Zuckerberg again. That's pretty close.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

:yeahthat

Watch the way Eisenberg talks to the lawyers in Social Network. If you didn't already know that he was the good guy in that movie, he comes across as a bit villainous. Just give him a lot of big words and let him talk really fast and they could have something here.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I was originally appalled by the decision but I'm actually pretty intrigued by it now. Another bald, tough guy, 80s style businessman probably would have been lame. I feel like it fits the current climate better now to have a CEO that's slimy and cowardly and not tough at all. Granted, I'm assuming a lot of what he'll be based on the actor alone.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I can imagine him playing a douche (as with Zuckerberg) easy enough, but I still struggle with him being the arch-nemesis of a flying alien with laser eyes. Then again people sneered at Heath Ledger. Either way, Batman better be grumpy as feck in this.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I was not for Jesse like most BUT I agree that he has the acting chops to pull it off. As far as his look.. they could bulk him up a bit but Lex Luthor has never been a physical threat to Superman. He uses his brain, not his muscles. LOVE the casting of Jeremy Irons.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

If there's one thing that Affleck had over everyone else in casting for Batman, it was certainly his chin.

Also, this happened:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/iwY-TpvkK8w[/youtube]

Favourite thing is the noise at the end.

Also this:

I want to go to there.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

So awesome!
Photobucket cash grab.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

No words.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/IwfUnkBfdZ4[/youtube]

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Post by Fish Tacos »

Saw the leaked version earlier today but this is obviously better. I can hear Eisenberg's voice in the trailer, still don't think I can take him seriously. That end quote though will probably be just as popular as "why so serious?"

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Alfred is speaking too..when they show Bruce and then the bat suit.
Photobucket cash grab.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I don't buy Affleck as Batman, yet. But I'll be honest and say that I'm seeing this movie solely to see Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luther.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I've warmed a lot to Affleck as Batman, he looks almost exactly like you'd expect the comic book version to look in real life, he is a fan himself and I'm pretty sure he can do just fine as grumpy Batman. Jeremy Irons sounded awesome in it too. My only problem was how lame some of the CGI looked in that trailer.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Better look at the new Batmobile & Batsuit. Looks like the suit was ripped straight from the comics!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2429 ... -batmobile

Also, there were a few easter eggs in the teaser.

1. 003 on the missile or bomb Superman was catching. (300 backwards which Snyder directed)
2. Question mark on the side of one of the pillars. Obviously a Riddler easter egg.
3. Shot of Ben staring at the batsuit you can make out another suit in a glass case behind him, most likely Robin's. The rumor is Jason Todd's murder by The Joker will be referenced. He could be staring at Robin's suit straight on too.. who knows.

To be honest I can't believe it's been getting mixed reviews.. I thought it was amazing & served it's purpose for a teaser. Supposedly people at the IMAX screening will be getting to see it with additional footage.