The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Fish Tacos »

Well that makes me glad because the impressions I got from the listening party reviews were a bit lackluster from what I remember so if people are all amped up I'm stoked!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:All aboard the hype train! 4 days to go! Choo choo!

PS Inconquerable says hi.
Gasp, you're alive! Good, I have a question and I could use your professional opinion. Do you think I can pull off being an accountant in the concert promotion industry (Live Nation, AEG, etc.)? Also, how could I start making progress with the networking and stuff (Andy already suggested Linkedin, which I am a noob at using).

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Howdy! Yeah, I think you totally could! Looking at Live Nation's website, I found this page

http://www.livenationentertainment.com/ ... olarships/

and accounting and finance (also seemingly lumped under the name e-commerce elsewhere on the site) is listed as one of the internship categories. I forget which school you said you attend but they list University of SoCal and University of Cal at LA as schools they visit. It's vague on whether they're saying the internships are only open to those institutions or if that's just where they visit. Either way I'd say it's worth contacting them directly to find out because an internship doing exactly what you want to do and possibly gaining some additional side experience in some other areas would be a great opportunity.

A piece of advice I would give you is to pretend you're looking for a job now and take a look at the qualifications of the positions that you want beyond the degree you're already pursuing so that you can work towards adding those skills to your skillset as well before you need them. So as a for instance, this Jr Financial Analyst spot https://livenation.wd1.myworkdayjobs.co ... t_JR-02040 mentions experience in data visualization tools as a plus. Most people will probably know how to use Excel, so to make yourself stand out you can learn how to use a different program as well that will make your reports about 10x as sexy and possibly even get you in on some of the advertising work as well. I would recommend learning to use Tableau, they have a free trial on their website with tutorials littered around the web and it's a very powerful visualization program that can do a lot of things Excel can't. Check out this video for example https://youtu.be/iLkSvKqbp1c?t=4m31s the guy can plot profit margins to scale by location and by year. You can see other cool examples on youtube of people creating smart dashboards and stuff. Going into an interview with a mini portfolio and samples of your work like this even if it's a video you upload to youtube and show the guy on your phone will make you a sexy candidate.

As far as LinkedIn goes, unless you're in a job that needs clients I wouldn't worry too much about if you're using it correctly or not. You just need to make sure your profile reflects what you think a prospective employer would want to see similar to any resume you generate, you need to know you can search for jobs on it (like this live nation accountant one https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/120475813) and that you can browse people. So for example if you go to the live nation linkedin page here https://www.linkedin.com/company/live-nation you'll see that you can scroll through employee profiles on the right because they've joined that group. Looking through the list of people you can find people that have titles and jobs similar to what you want, look at their experience and perhaps reach out to them asking for advice or for insight into the hiring practices / hiring managers.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Wow, that is a boatload of info that I did not expect to see, thanks man.

Edit: On a side note, so I'm browsing at Albertson's a few days back, and they had a poptart sale, $1.69 per box (which holds 8 pastries) when I buy 3 and I was looking at the selection and there's a maple bacon flavor. What an odd flavor for pop-tarts. It tastes very syrupy.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Maple bacon is a popular donut flavor I've seen lately too. I don't personally care for it but I get that people would like the sweet n salty combo, plus people go bananas for bacon.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

YO FISH TACOS! GLAD YOU'RE BACK MAN! :dance :peace :D :rockon :wave :headbang :beer :cheers

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: though it took Lotha & me to get him to text you, so...

Post by gbruin »

zaz will agree with me that you have been missed. Welcome back, amigo.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: All hail Hypnogreg

Post by zazthespaz »

Greg is right Fishy! You've been missed!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Found out this morning at work that one of my students passed away over the weekend after a car accident. Just rips my heart out. He was such a bright kid with a great personality. Sometimes you don't realize how close your students are to you as a teacher.

Never know when you're seeing someone for the last time.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:Found out this morning at work that one of my students passed away over the weekend after a car accident. Just rips my heart out. He was such a bright kid with a great personality. Sometimes you don't realize how close your students are to you as a teacher.

Never know when you're seeing someone for the last time.
Sorry to hear about that, Andy. :( My condolences, may they rest in peace.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re:

Post by zazthespaz »

That's awful to hear Andy, real sorry to hear that. Hope you and his family can find some peace in this.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

So sad to hear that, Andy. :hug
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the condolences.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm so sorry to hear that, Andy. That's awful :(
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'll agree with zaz (and everyone) on this one. Condolescences to you and all of your student's family and friends. I'm so sorry, Andy.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

DonHarry wrote:No, it's a part of it. Being good at your job is the other part.
Being good is a necessary but not a sufficient condition. Good connections is a sufficient but not a necessary condition.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that, Andy. That's awful :(
gbruin wrote:I'll agree with zaz (and everyone) on this one. Condolescences to you and all of your student's family and friends. I'm so sorry, Andy.
Thanks guys.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Took the rest of the week off work (I have 3 weeks of vacation time). Headed 4 hours west to Tulsa with the family on Friday to go to the fair and see Alter Bridge. Spent today picking walnuts for 5 hours for a little side cash. Saving the money for an Orange 2x12 cab to match the micro dark I just bought. It was a good day.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The safest plan? Go away and come back Monday. Seriously

Post by gbruin »

zaz will agree with me that we want all of our friends in the Florida area (including lots of the AB family) to stay safe these next few days as Hurricane Matthew bears down.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Had to write an informative speech for my public speaking class, so I chose to write it on my Grandfather's experiences in the Army.

My professor told me that my Grandfather could not be used as a credible source for the speech, even though he said the topic was an excellent idea. I asked him "Who else could tell me my Grandfather's experiences in the Army?" and he said "Maybe some of his fellow soldiers", to which I replied, "They are all dead." and he said "Oh...yeah just use grandpa then."
Thanks Andy!