The Writing Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Re: The Writing Thread

Post by DivCruz »

Dan Dando wrote:
Decay wrote:I find it very forcing and a lil bit intimidating, what Dan posted. Don't push it, if you don't feel like writing.
That's cool, man. I think the process kinda comes from the idea that in order to be a better writer... you simply just have to write a lot. Like with any musical instrument, you play the guitar a lot in order to become a better guitar player. It's the same with painting/drawing... etc, a skill you hone through constant work and practice.

But then again this is the kind of advice I read/hear... from creative types who really can't afford to sit and wait until their muse shows up. They have to feed their families, so they have to be able to get to a place where they can almost summon their creativity at will really and get their work done. Heck, Stephen King likens the whole thing to hypnosis - he's got his 2,000 words in every single day for so long that he sits at his desk now and it all just pours out of him, you know? Pushing through and getting the writing done even when you aren't feeling it will be worth it in the long run.

If it's a case of doing it for fun - maybe that kind of regimen wouldn't be required. If it feels unpleasant to try and force it, then try it a different way :)
It seems fun to me. Not forcing myself but yeah, it's a skill I have to hone.

Decay

Post by Decay »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Decay wrote:
The one I came up with. Yeah, I'll go in history of TABN.com :lol
:fingerwag

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Creative+Diarrhea#seen

I'm calling your bluff, Decay! Either that or your term is already that popular. :shrug
Damn, I didn't know it was that popular, already. Cool! :D

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Decay wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Decay wrote:

I'm calling your bluff, Decay! Either that or your term is already that popular. :shrug
But it was a great re-discovery. :lol

Decay

Post by Decay »

Dan Dando wrote:
Decay wrote:I find it very forcing and a lil bit intimidating, what Dan posted. Don't push it, if you don't feel like writing.
That's cool, man. I think the process kinda comes from the idea that in order to be a better writer... you simply just have to write a lot. Like with any musical instrument, you play the guitar a lot in order to become a better guitar player. It's the same with painting/drawing... etc, a skill you hone through constant work and practice.

But then again this is the kind of advice I read/hear... from creative types who really can't afford to sit and wait until their muse shows up. They have to feed their families, so they have to be able to get to a place where they can almost summon their creativity at will really and get their work done. Heck, Stephen King likens the whole thing to hypnosis - he's got his 2,000 words in every single day for so long that he sits at his desk now and it all just pours out of him, you know? Pushing through and getting the writing done even when you aren't feeling it will be worth it in the long run.

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks. I just know that if I didn't force myself to sit down and try to write... I'd never do any writing, because I'm a lazy sod :lol

If it's a case of doing it for fun - maybe that kind of regimen wouldn't be required. If it feels unpleasant to try and force it, then try it a different way :)
I'm not saying it's a wrong way, 'cause it's not. I just don't like it. So I'm doing it my way... Sometimes I just sit down and say to myself 'Okay, gonna write now.' and sometimes the lyrics just come raining down. Inspiration is a miracle-worker.

Decay

Post by Decay »

DivCruz wrote:
Decay wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Decay wrote:

But it was a great re-discovery. :lol
Hellz yeah :lol

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Well, what do you know? Decay is on my notebook. :lol

Decay

Post by Decay »

Flattered :lol

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

Alright I'm calling this a night. The writing was tiring. :lol See you guys later!

Decay

Post by Decay »

I'll see ya guys later as well.

Off to take a shower.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

about to sit down and write some stuff, hopefully something sticks. wish me luck
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Good luck!

I remember thinking about something really deep today, and I got sidetracked and it was gone. But as is the case with me, it sunk into my subconscious and I will have a great idea in a few days. :lol
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't think if this goes along the topic, but I'm writing an literary analysis essay, currently, that is due a week from Tuesday. Prompt seems clear enough, but I just have no sense of direction of where to go.

As it turns out, I'm currently just throwing ideas and random sentences and stockpile thoughts and analysis in hopes that after a few days, something will come to my head and I can organize these thoughts properly. Is that proper? Is this how musicians, write their music?

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't think if this goes along the topic, but I'm writing an literary analysis essay, currently, that is due a week from Tuesday. Prompt seems clear enough, but I just have no sense of direction of where to go.

As it turns out, I'm currently just throwing ideas and random sentences and stockpile thoughts and analysis in hopes that after a few days, something will come to my head and I can organize these thoughts properly. Is that proper? Is this how musicians, write their music?
That's how I sometimes start writing. just some thoughts and ideas and then organize, but when I write essay, it sometimes doesn't work for me that way. Random ideas tend to just become trash in the end. What I do is write what I think about the topic. It's like having a conversation then writing what I'm saying. When it's done, I'll read it and take what's not necessary and add something more with the initial idea already on paper. Hope this helps :cheers

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't think if this goes along the topic, but I'm writing an literary analysis essay, currently, that is due a week from Tuesday. Prompt seems clear enough, but I just have no sense of direction of where to go.

If this helps, here are some techniques my professor suggested to students writing essays.
What you are using is brainstorming. All those random ideas, you need to try and work them into introduction, conclusion etc, you need to see which of them fit and which don't, then maybe, if there's not enough ideas for the whole essay, do a little more brainstorming, repeat the organization, and then develop the themes. When you have the outline of the essay done, you can start writing.
Another one is similar to what DivCruz mentioned. Basically your goal is to not stop writing. Just grab a pen and paper and write. Try to think about your topic, and write down your train of thoughts. If you have loads of digressions, that's fine. This way is supposed to force your brain to work, so eventually you get on the right path. It doesn't really work for me, but for some people I guess it does, otherwise she wouldn't have recommended it.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

I've tried writing phrases and fill another page. I think this would work for me. These short phrases may fit a certain melody line and I'm loving the process. I have written something that I never thought would cross my mind even when that inspiration sparked.

DivCruz
Loyal Follower

Post by DivCruz »

The method Dan Dando suggested is working for me, I guess. What I do when I try completing a part of a song is to tie some phrases that are common in terms of the words used. Sometimes the lyrics sounds great but it does not have meaning so I try to interpret it. Kind of like looking for faces in the clouds :lol

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

A friend and I have been writing a story for about six or seven years now. It's changed a lot over the years and it's not even close to the same story we came up with seven years ago, and we sometimes went years without even talking about it, but we're very proud of it. I can honestly say I've grown very attached to these characters. We hope to have it published in book form by 2015. :)

Decay

Post by Decay »

The bitch came back (inspiration)

Now I feel like I can write, I've actually just started writing. The first line to my newest song starts with that - 'Where's all of this coming from?'
Wow, I haven't been writing in weeks. Excited!

I think this new song of mine will turn out to be a 'dark' love song, as in, no matter how hard you try to recede from this person/pain, it's always gonna be there. I'll see how it turns out, this should be good!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Came up with some cool clean fingerpicking stuff today. For the next few weeks, I'm just gonna focus completely on writing my own stuff. I have plenty of ideas that need to be worked out, lyrics and music. Tomorrow is day 1, and I cant wait
Rock Never Dies

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Holy shit, I just stumbled onto a golden guitar part and I'm freaking out over here. So much potential, I just gotta work it out now. Tomorrows gonna be a good day
Rock Never Dies