Why religion is unlogical

Talk about anything and everything here.
ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Re: Why religion is unlogical

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Timotheus wrote:AB23, just out of curiosity, can you give some examples of stuff you don't believe?
I'd have to go with the story of Adam and Eve, for one. That's clearly metaphorical, figurative, symbolic, whatever you want to call it, but it's not literal. I highly doubt a talking snake convinced a naked woman to eat an apple that got her and her husband kicked out of a garden paradise. I also think there's far more to the story than most people think. I don't want to get into it right now, though.

Also, another example is Noah's flood. I don't think water actually covered the entire earth at one time.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Edited

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
AB23 wrote:If our God is an all forgiving God giving us the luxury of free will you'd think he'd understand in return for your loyalty and homage
Was this addressed to me?
No it was to vaux

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

People are obviously well within their rights to believe what they want without being subject to discrimination or mockery. It's a basic human right, whether constructed or intrinsic.

With that said, the problem seems to arise when religious people try to use logic to defend their beliefs, because it's just not possible. For example, a very popular argument seems to be the "prove to me God doesn't exist" line, which makes absolutely no sense.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm an atheist but I believe very much in respecting people's beliefs. In the old incarnation of this thread, I pretty much used up every impulse I had to argue about religion. Very little comes of it, honestly, and I doubt I'll participate too much in this debate. I might if someone tries to disprove evolution because that can piss me off but even then, I doubt I'd change any minds. Also, the Bible is a fantastic, seminal work of literature and I've meant to read it as one for a long time now.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Serialkillerpit
Brand New Start

Post by Serialkillerpit »

First I was raised Catholic, and I think I still belong to that, but I don't particularly believe in it.
Religions are logical in one sense, by it I mean the needs people have to believe in something superior and more powerful that common things they know. "Logical" because religions are seen as birth places for strength to people etc etc.
Not logical because how come something you don't know that is represented in a deity that can only be "seen" through faith eventually, controls things.
I think that the whole attempt on trying to determine if religions are something logical or not is a waste of time because you have the testimonies and beliefs of people, and most of all the experiences they have had with that etc, and every opinion is as valid as the other because the mind only sees what it wants to.
For me, religions are a mockery, no offense.

Serialkillerpit
Brand New Start

Post by Serialkillerpit »

Nick wrote:I'm an atheist but I believe very much in respecting people's beliefs. In the old incarnation of this thread, I pretty much used up every impulse I had to argue about religion. Very little comes of it, honestly, and I doubt I'll participate too much in this debate. I might if someone tries to disprove evolution because that can piss me off but even then, I doubt I'd change any minds. Also, the Bible is a fantastic, seminal work of literature and I've meant to read it as one for a long time now.

You are absolutely right, by the way, the last part was epic. :rockon

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

Here is a couple good videos for you folk who believe in the bible:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Pk0K1zgCDtE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/8G4zyBmgaeA[/youtube]

SocialAssassin437
Brand New Start

Post by SocialAssassin437 »

What's wrong with letting people believe what they want ? Personally, i think it's much more believable to think that we were created by God rather than a 1 in 100 billion chance collision in space. Everything good in life never comes easy, right ? So why should faith be any different ? Why would we be able to live eternally with God, the greatest opportunity ever i think, if it was just going to be an easy thing that everyone could do in the blink of an eye ? If you think about it, religion IS logical. If nothing good in life comes easy, why should belief in God ?

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

The need for religion is logical, but religion itself is not.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

SocialAssassin437 wrote:Personally, i think it's much more believable to think that we were created by God rather than a 1 in 100 billion chance collision in space.
What's this in reference to?
For all of the hope that it brings...

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

"1 in 100 billion chance collision in space"

I don't know where you got that from.

There are an estimated 125 billion galaxies in the universe. Each one of those galaxies contain billions of stars (est 200-400 billion)... our star (sun) has 8 planets that orbit it. Other stars could have that many, maybe more maybe less. Planets are hard to find because they do not give off light like stars do. So there are many billions, perhaps trillions, of planets just in our galaxy alone.

So what is the chance of life? We are not even sure if the 8 planets in our backyard are without life. The moons could hold life too. Scientists think Jupiter's moon Europa could hold life in it's ocean that lies beneath it's top layer of ice.

So even if the chance of life is 1 in a million, then there are billions of planets with life on them out there. We are not as special as we think we are. We are like a single speck of sand on a long, long, long beach.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

I hate nothing more than that chance argument. Utterly BS.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

....this thread is nowhere near as good as the original was
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

its unlogical COS STONE COLD SAID SO!