Why religion is unlogical

Talk about anything and everything here.
Josiah

Re: Why religion is unlogical

Post by Josiah »

Macca wrote:Hahahahahahaha Josiah I loved they stories. Post them again. Didn't someone claiming to be God show up at your door with cakes or something
No. My family was on the brink of starvation and someone we didn't know knocked on our door and said "I don't know why, but I feel like you need this" And gave us a bunch of food. A lot of stuff like that happened.

IzziSixx
Bought The CDs

Post by IzziSixx »

Something like that happened to me too, but I pretty much see it as she heard it through the grapevine.

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

That happened to us about 3 times. On the brink everytime.

Also, I witnessed my father be attacked by a demon possessed man once. Believe it or not. His eyes turned bright red and everything...It took 5 grown men to restrain him. It took 8 hours to get the demon out. The whole thing is a long story, but it was scary as fuck. After that, my dad couldn't even look at a picture with eyes for about a year and a half because he was so petrified from that experience.

Circles
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Circles »

are you taking the piss or what?
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOSH NEW BOARD

IzziSixx
Bought The CDs

Post by IzziSixx »

The demon possessed man thing, I don't believe. He could've just been insane or snapped on your father for reasons you don't know.
You know there are tons of places you can just get food, right? All it takes is some looking and asking.

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

Also, I had spinal meningitis and it left instantly after being prayed for. Not saying that will always happen, but it happened to me twice. Once then, and once when I had a lethal infection at 2 years old. This kind of stuff and way more has happened to my family...I know some of it may be hard to believe, but it's all true.

And izzi, the man who was possessed wasn't a random man who attacked my father. It was his best friend. And after the whole thing happened, the man became a pastor. He and my dad are still in touch. And during the attack, some guy restrained the demon possessed guy when he was about to strike my dad. The guy who did it said he didn't even mean to restrain him. It just kind of happened.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

lebron james hasnt won an nba title yet, and i prayed for that not just once, not twice, not three times, not four times, not five, not six. and its come true

IzziSixx
Bought The CDs

Post by IzziSixx »

I'm glad you've had good things happen to you, but I really don't believe it was because of a god or prayer. There's always the chance that one of us could be wrong, though. And I still don't believe the demon thing, I think he just went bonkers and was too ashamed to admit it.

Circles
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Circles »

Josiah wrote:I know some of it may be hard to believe, but it's all true.
ahahahaah this guy is my new favourite poster
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOSH NEW BOARD

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Mormon and proud. :)

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

God is dead.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

So if good things happening to you is proof god exists, is shitty things happening to you proof that he doesn't?

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

That sounds like something Philosoraptor would say. :lol

Okay, I have something to say:

Religion is here to stay, no matter how far science and our understanding of the universe progresses. You can never disprove God.

The fact that religion is illogical does not imply that it is wrong. Illogical =/= impossible.

Logic is just a tool that helps us see the validity of any reasoning. Logic is not absolute. The logic of God could be entirely different than ours and what we perceive as paradoxical about God may in fact be perfectly logical for God.

The reason why I think like that is because even in our own universe, the logical rules are not same everywhere. The microworld doesn't only have different physical laws, it has a different logic too. Quantum Mechanics is absurd and violates some of the logical principles, which is why they had to make Quantum Logic to reconcile the empirical results with logic.

Now of course, Quantum Mechanics has something that God does not and that is evidence. But that's not the point. My point is, logic alone can NOT defeat God.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

"You can never disprove God" - That's debatable. Science has been disproving things attributed to god for hundreds of years, and it will continue to do so. And I guess it depends on your definition of god.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Right on about the definition. Science will continue to disprove things that are attributed to God, yeah, but God as a general idea (not speaking from the perspective of any religion here) is unfalsifiable.

Why else do you think atheists invoke unicorns and flying-spaghetti monsters when arguing God? :lol

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

I see. Yeah if you're saying god exists or he doesn't.... well I guess I can't prove god doesn't just like I can't prove unicorns don't either. But he ceases to be unfalsifiable when you attribute things to him. If the bible is to be believed - which it's god's word right? Well, that sure as shit is falsifiable.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Exactly.

As for "The word of God"... that's not only falsifiable. That's falsified. :X

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Yeah, the normal atheist position is to say "I don't believe in a god", rather than "I believe/know there isn't a god", because it's a concept that can't be disproved. It's an absence of belief based on a lack of evidence, whereas it sometimes gets mischaracterised as the latter and told "atheism is as much faith as religion".

In general I have zero problems with people believing what they want to believe, as long as creationism isn't taught in science lessons and people have control over their own bodies.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Creationism is taught is science lessons? D:

That gives me a reason to have a some faith in my country.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Vaux wrote:I see. Yeah if you're saying god exists or he doesn't.... well I guess I can't prove god doesn't just like I can't prove unicorns don't either. But he ceases to be unfalsifiable when you attribute things to him. If the bible is to be believed - which it's god's word right? Well, that sure as shit is falsifiable.
Not if you don't believe the Bible is infallible, inerrant, or complete, which I don't. It never claims to be.