The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
MaraCarr
White Knuckled

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby MaraCarr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:22 pm

I’ve never watched Casablanca. I watched “Mommie Dearest”not to long ago. It was pretty good! I agree I should move more.. read more... write more... play guitar more.. hell even paint! I found myself watching Twilight last night! LoL then passing out in my pizza and spilling my beer! Pitiful excuse for a human! LOL

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Or I could turn off the damned box and exercise or read or write or play guitar or do anything else.

Postby Ubik » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:15 pm

gbruin wrote:With Lockdown 2.0 looming, I find myself panicked, not at the scarcity of toilet paper once again (really...WTF America? :facepalm ), but at the slim pickings in the TV/movie world.

Anyone got any recs for great classic movies from the past? I was thinking about Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or some of the great epics in movie history.

For instance, if you have never watched Casablanca...best movie in the world ever, right there.

One of my favourite wartime (well, slightly later) ones is The Best Years of Our Lives, a bit like Casablanca in that it's very much about the war but without much in the way of fighting, in this case it's returning soldiers coming home to a world that's moved on without them. Shout out to my compatriots as well - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a UK classic of the genre.

Once Upon a Time in the West is, to my mind, the best American epic. And not just because the leading lady is Claudia Cardinale :cloud9 Just a masterpiece of sight and sound.

Generally, very hard to go wrong with anything from Billy Wilder. Some of the greatest films ever in multiple genres - Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd. (noir); Ace in the Hole, Witness for the Prosecution (thriller); The Apartment, Some Like it Hot (comedy).

And if you want to branch out even further - nearly everything by Kurosawa is a masterwork. 50s and 60s Japanese cinema in general is my happy place. Harakiri is another one, spellbinding and gut-wrenching in equal loads.

I could go on but I should really stop there :lol
And if you fall, at least you tried
As you tremble on the wire...

MaraCarr
White Knuckled

Re: Or I could turn off the damned box and exercise or read or write or play guitar or do anything else.

Postby MaraCarr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Thank you Greg I actually turned of my tv last night drank some ice water and to my own surprise actually completed a pretty good painting by 7 am!

Thanks for the movie suggestions you guys I will check those out! Mommie Dearest however is a very powerful oldie about Joan Crawford. You should watch it!

Micky
On The Rail

Postby Micky » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:10 am

gbruin wrote:With Lockdown 2.0 looming, I find myself panicked, not at the scarcity of toilet paper once again (really...WTF America? :facepalm ), but at the slim pickings in the TV/movie world.

Anyone got any recs for great classic movies from the past? I was thinking about Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or some of the great epics in movie history.

For instance, if you have never watched Casablanca...best movie in the world ever, right there.

Greg! Don't be panicked buddy. I'm here for you!

Some classic movies that I love to watch are The Great Escape with Steve McQueen, It's a Wonderful Life, The Quiet Man, and the original True Grit.

I also have been watching a lot of stuff from my youth.

My uncle Michael had a pretty good idea during the first lockdown, if you're able to, go for a long walk and listen to any album from your youth from top to bottom, walk as long as the album as playing and just be in your happy place.

Hopefully this helps buddy.

Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Doing lots of chill/reflection stuff, too.

Postby gbruin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've seen a few you have mentioned (Mommie Dearest, The Great Escape, It's A Wonderful Life) and agree those are great ones. Looking forward to checking out some of the others.

Stay healthy, TABN

:cheers !
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Crumbso
On The Rail

Postby Crumbso » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

EDIT: If you like The Departed, give some time to watch the Hong Kong movie it was based on called Infernal Affairs. It's equally as good.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: @Starbucks: "2 French donuts and a cup of Italian water - black."

Postby zazthespaz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Crumbso wrote:So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

EDIT: If you like The Departed, give some time to watch the Hong Kong movie it was based on called Infernal Affairs. It's equally as good.

:lol no it's not. Although some of us find it annoying when people use the French accent and say it like "kwa-sahn."
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: @Starbucks: "2 French donuts and a cup of Italian water - black."

Postby Crumbso » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:46 am

zazthespaz wrote:
Crumbso wrote:So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

:lol no it's not. Although some of us find it annoying when people use the French accent and say it like "kwa-sahn."

Good to know :lol ! Me and my other half couldn't tell if she was joking or it was just a weird script.

UninvitedZero
White Knuckled

Postby UninvitedZero » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Using these next couple relaxing days to watch all four Scream films in order. Wes Craven was a genius director. Scream 5 just won't be the same without his vision...
Now more than ever what we need
Is love to replace all the obscene

:peace

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Postby Dan Dando » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 am

Devil Inside You wrote:On the topic of Christopher Nolan, I rewatched the Batman trilogy this passed week. I forgot how brilliant these films are. The Dark Knight is essentially a perfect movie. The trailer to The Batman looks really good if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ

No movie with Christian Bale's Batman voice is "perfect" ;)

Return to “General Discussion”