The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
User avatar
Micky
On The Rail
Posts: 1219
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: with my creepy uncle timo

Re: New celebrity crush now too!

Postby Micky » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

zazthespaz wrote:Saw Knives Out today. Really enjoyed it. Not as much humor as I thought there’d be, but was nonstop entertaining. Lots of twists and turns in the plot, definitely recommend!


You also recommended me Hey Riddle Riddle...so I must be able to trust you on this one
Image


Thanks Andy!

MuffinMcFluffin
Isolated
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: New celebrity crush now too!

Postby MuffinMcFluffin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Micky wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Saw Knives Out today. Really enjoyed it. Not as much humor as I thought there’d be, but was nonstop entertaining. Lots of twists and turns in the plot, definitely recommend!


You also recommended me Hey Riddle Riddle...so I must be able to trust you on this one

Knives Out is great, and for me was very funny.

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby gbruin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

I saw 1917 almost 2 weeks ago during it's limited release. It is fantastic. Great story and acting, and if you're into the science of filmmaking, the several extended single shot scenes are just incredible. I can't decide if it's a better movie than Journey's End, but either might make it onto a new top 5 list for me.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby gbruin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I rented The Cave on Amazon Prime yesterday. It follows the work of Dr Amani Ballour, a young female pediatrician who becomes the manager of a Syrian hospital that is forced to operate underground in a besieged and war-torn suburb of Damascus. The movie was nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary.

The filmmaking is impressive. The content is absolutely beyond. As an ER doc who has spent 20 years in a busy suburban level 1 trauma center, I still cannot really fathom the courage and perseverance and resiliency and humanity displayed by Dr Ballour and her colleagues. Calling them heroes isn't close to sufficient.

This is one of those movies that you may not want to see, but you and every human really do need to see.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby MaraCarr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Interesting topic, I am a huge movie person. The last few films I have watched have been, "Dr. Sleep", "The Joker" and "It "part 2". I watched "It part 2" yesterday flying home from Vegas. Hell of an Alter Bridge concert at HOB. Just beyond words how amazing it all was...they played all of my favorites including "Addicted to Pain" ... the crowd went CRAZY... I have it on video. ;) However I didn't drink enough to dive into the middle...so I stayed safe up a little higher. I had an amazing view. Anyway back to the movie..."It Part 2" is very long but so funny and just good if you like "It". I loved how it touched on childhood fear and how the fears follow you into adult hood. It could go very deep if I really analyze it but its truly a brilliant film. The Joker is just incredible Pheonix really deserved the awards for his performance in that film and he has so much to share in his moment in the spotlight. Love him! Dr. Sleep is just incredible and very unique. I didn't really like the detail in the killing of children...that was the only thing that was hugely disturbing to me about the film. When the boy was killed it just really made me want to fast foward through that but it was an important part of seeing how dark the villian is in the story.
Image

User avatar
Inconquerable
Rise Today
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: Shady Oak Dr.

Re: It wasn't even too quiet for me!

Postby Inconquerable » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 pm

So I'm not a big movie person, and I realize this one is two years old (and you all may have discussed it before!), but did anybody see A Quiet Place? I watched it early last year and I really enjoyed it. I just saw the tail end of the commercial for Part II and I might go see it in theatres. I watched the first on Netflix, I'll have to re-watch it before I see the second.
Image

User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 8632
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: John Krasinksi was the main reason I watched it tbh

Postby SHEAKENBAKEN » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Inconquerable wrote:So I'm not a big movie person, and I realize this one is two years old (and you all may have discussed it before!), but did anybody see A Quiet Place? I watched it early last year and I really enjoyed it. I just saw the tail end of the commercial for Part II and I might go see it in theatres. I watched the first on Netflix, I'll have to re-watch it before I see the second.


I saw A Quiet Place I think maybe a year ago? After it came out on Netflix anyways :lol I enjoyed it as well. I probably wont see the 2nd one in theaters though. I'll just wait until its also on Netflix :lol
SMKC - Vancouver, BC - 7.18.2019

AB - Seattle, WA - 2.26.2020

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby gbruin » Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Just watched Ford v Ferrari. It's a pretty good movie with a crummy title. Worth watching if you're stuck at home.

Six degrees trivia fact...many scenes in the movie were filmed at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond CA in the high desert north of Los Angeles and is about 15 miles from where I grew up. Those dusty flats and tumbleweeds and Joshua trees in the background...yup, home.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
Micky
On The Rail
Posts: 1219
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: with my creepy uncle timo

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby Micky » Tue May 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Joella and I recently watched The Way Back with Ben Affleck

This movie was really well done. I thought it was going to be your typical sports movie, but it really wasn't. Ben Affleck gave one of the best performances he ever has, and the movie ended in a way I did not necessarily expect.

I'll give it an 8/10
Image


Thanks Andy!

MaraCarr
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby MaraCarr » Fri May 15, 2020 12:10 pm

I just watched “Fantasy Island”. I liked it ... kind of reminds me of “Scream” because of it having a touch of humor in it! I was a kid when the series used to be popular. I love the ending because it made me laugh! Good one to watch if you want some dark humor. :D
Image

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby gbruin » Fri May 29, 2020 11:22 am

Still in the throes of quarantine and desperately searching through Amazon Prime Video, I found The --Torture-- Report, starring Adam Driver as Daniel Jones, the Senate staffer who investigated the methods used by the CIA with detained terrorist suspects in the years following 9/11. It's a pretty sad portrait of our government on multiple levels.

Adam Driver is fantastic. He might be my favorite actor right now.

Hey, why can't I do strikethrough text? No wonder this movie didn't get more attention.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

I tell you the whole movie so you don't ever bother to watch it

Postby gbruin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

On advice from a lifelong female friend, I watched 365 Days. It's the story of a gorgeous young Polish woman, already taken for granted by her rather unimpressive boyfriend, who gets kidnapped by a hunky but vain and domineering Sicilian mafioso who has been obsessed with finding this woman after a random encounter 5 years previously. Given the arbitrary and utterly ridiculous notion of setting her free in 365 days if she does not fall in love with him, he repeatedly psychologically terrorizes and sexually assaults her until she naturally gets the hots for him and they have wild sex all over his multi-million dollar yacht. This of course leads to her falling in love with her captor and abuser after just a couple months and they plan to get married. At this point his mafia rivals decide to kill her for no clear reason, and her death occurs off screen in the last 30 seconds of the movie which then abruptly ends with no explanation or consequence.

This might be the worst movie I've ever seen in terms of premise and seriously trying to justify utterly despicable behavior. It makes 9 1/2 Weeks and 50 Shades look like a child's lullaby. If the filmmakers just wanted to show two gorgeous people fucking like animals, they should have just made porn and not tried to fabricate some unbelievable story that glorifies something truly horrific. And how one of my best (and very accomplished and independent) female friends in my life thought this was somehow both appropriate and worthy of recommendation is beyond me. She and I need to have a talk.

Inexplicably, there are plans for a sequel. :slam
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
TABN.com Citizen
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: I tell you the whole movie so you don't ever bother to watch it

Postby MaraCarr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm

gbruin wrote:On advice from a lifelong female friend, I watched 365 Days. It's the story of a gorgeous young Polish woman, already taken for granted by her rather unimpressive boyfriend, who gets kidnapped by a hunky but vain and domineering Sicilian mafioso who has been obsessed with finding this woman after a random encounter 5 years previously. Given the arbitrary and utterly ridiculous notion of setting her free in 365 days if she does not fall in love with him, he repeatedly psychologically terrorizes and sexually assaults her until she naturally gets the hots for him and they have wild sex all over his multi-million dollar yacht. This of course leads to her falling in love with her captor and abuser after just a couple months and they plan to get married. At this point his mafia rivals decide to kill her for no clear reason, and her death occurs off screen in the last 30 seconds of the movie which then abruptly ends with no explanation or consequence.

This might be the worst movie I've ever seen in terms of premise and seriously trying to justify utterly despicable behavior. It makes 9 1/2 Weeks and 50 Shades look like a child's lullaby. If the filmmakers just wanted to show two gorgeous people fucking like animals, they should have just made porn and not tried to fabricate some unbelievable story that glorifies something truly horrific. And how one of my best (and very accomplished and independent) female friends in my life thought this was somehow both appropriate and worthy of recommendation is beyond me. She and I need to have a talk.

Inexplicably, there are plans for a sequel. :slam



It was pretty intense Greg!... I couldn’t watch 50 Shades... made me want to beat the hell out of him. It is the redneck in me I can’t help it.. hit me with a belt and I will choke you with it. :lol

But I thought the mafia guy was good looking and the plot was twisted and a bit sinister but I found it entertaining if taken with a grain of salt and not realistically at all. It was kind of like X-rated Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. It is basically a porno with a plot. I was about to turn it until the airplane scene.. then I was like ... well I wonder what he does next? :lol :embarrassed
:wtf
Image


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests