The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby TenaciousBe » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 pm

gbruin wrote:I avoided this thread until I could see the movie myself.

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I totally agree with FishTacos above, too. StarLord, you prick.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.

Saw it on Sunday. Totally feel for Thanos, and much of the time I was sitting there thinking "...is he really the villain?" He makes a good point, albeit in a Hitler-y way.

Also not really seeing the intense hatred/blame on StarLord. People acting like he's the only reason Thanos got power, when there were 5 other stones out there that other people didn't protect either. I may need a re-watch to wrap my head around it.
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Postby gbruin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:50 am

TenaciousBe wrote:

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.

Saw it on Sunday. Totally feel for Thanos, and much of the time I was sitting there thinking "...is he really the villain?" He makes a good point, albeit in a Hitler-y way.

Also not really seeing the intense hatred/blame on StarLord. People acting like he's the only reason Thanos got power, when there were 5 other stones out there that other people didn't protect either. I may need a re-watch to wrap my head around it.

I know you didn't mean it literally, but your comment brings up an interesting point to me. I wouldn't call Thanos's actions "Hitler-y" simply because he said ahead of time he was going to act in a completely random way. Had he based every individual's fate by any parameter like wealth or morality or age or Creed fandom or intelligence, then he becomes the biased totalitarian and it introduces a degree of subjectivity which makes an already brutal move worse. Thanos makes fate as fair as possible. Similar actions by history's worst villains like Hitler and Stalin and Mao that are based on hate and greed and insanity or power are not comparable, and it's part of what makes Thanos somewhat sympathetic to me.

One caveat...I do wonder if Thanos himself was subject to his random cull. If he spared himself from the decision everyone else faced, ignore what I just wrote.

My anger at Star Lord is because his failure was based on a weakness of character, a moment of selfishness. The others were just failed despite their best and sincere efforts.

I think it's pretty cool that we can get into some rather legitimate philosophical debates over a comic book movie. That's a good dynamic. I don't care about some of the plot flaws that purists can pull out. It's hard to make an airtight narrative. I enjoy and appreciate the thought and questions the movie raises.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Postby TenaciousBe » Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 pm

gbruin wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I know you didn't mean it literally, but your comment brings up an interesting point to me. I wouldn't call Thanos's actions "Hitler-y" simply because he said ahead of time he was going to act in a completely random way. Had he based every individual's fate by any parameter like wealth or morality or age or Creed fandom or intelligence, then he becomes the biased totalitarian and it introduces a degree of subjectivity which makes an already brutal move worse. Thanos makes fate as fair as possible. Similar actions by history's worst villains like Hitler and Stalin and Mao that are based on hate and greed and insanity or power are not comparable, and it's part of what makes Thanos somewhat sympathetic to me.

One caveat...I do wonder if Thanos himself was subject to his random cull. If he spared himself from the decision everyone else faced, ignore what I just wrote.

My anger at Star Lord is because his failure was based on a weakness of character, a moment of selfishness. The others were just failed despite their best and sincere efforts.

I think it's pretty cool that we can get into some rather legitimate philosophical debates over a comic book movie. That's a good dynamic. I don't care about some of the plot flaws that purists can pull out. It's hard to make an airtight narrative. I enjoy and appreciate the thought and questions the movie raises.

Yeah, so "Hiter-y" wasn't the best way to say it, but by that, I meant that he thinks he can decide for everybody else what's best for the world. Who put him in charge to make that decision? Especially when that decision is to delete half of the world from existence?

I appreciate the philosophy as well. I poo-poo'd all the "comic book movies" for years because "hurr durr big budget hollywood blockbuster bullshit," but once I started watching the MCU movies, damn. They've done a really good job of developing characters over the past decade+ and it all pays off once they all get to come together in these Avengers movies. I wish the DC movies were as good at figuring out their characters and actually doing meaningful things with them.
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Mon May 07, 2018 11:29 am

It was okay, but was expecting a little more after the rave reviews from fans. The supposed big consequences look far from permanent.

Will say that Spider-Man is the best thing about the MCU.
In another life
In another place...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Postby gbruin » Mon May 07, 2018 5:52 pm

TenaciousBe wrote:
Yeah, so "Hiter-y" wasn't the best way to say it, but by that, I meant that he thinks he can decide for everybody else what's best for the world. Who put him in charge to make that decision? Especially when that decision is to delete half of the world from existence?

Show Me A Leader!! :rockon :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 am

I'll say this about the Star-Lord bit - I liked it because it was one of the few moments in the film where the emotion behind it felt real and human (the other successful moments being Quill and Gamorra again, and Iron Man with Spidey as he went to dust). It was clumsily executed but I appreciated the intent and the fact it actually built as an arc. Gimme that over the emotional void that is the Scarlet Witch/Vision thing any day.
In another life
In another place...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Parents with 2 busy teens share more emotion, which is almost none

Postby gbruin » Wed May 09, 2018 1:13 pm

I def agree with you on that last part. I also get it's tough to devote a lot of individual personal/emotional time into a movie with 20 main characters. But those two, yeah, just...meh.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Postby Andy92 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Is anyone else talking about how Nova Corps are a bunch of chumps for letting an empty-gauntlet Thanos get the first stone from them before the movie even begins?

Return to “General Discussion”