Manchester - Phones4U Arena - 22nd October

Tell the world about your concert experiences.
Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Manchester - Phones4U Arena - 22nd October

Post by Blackbird »

I totally agree with those people that are dissatisfied with their current setlists. I'm gonna see them in Berlin in three days and I'd be disappointed as well if they'd decide to only play three or four Fortress songs since there are so many songs on that album I'd like to see live. However, they certainly have a reason for holding back more material until now and we can only speculate about it - the problem is that we'll never come to a conclusion on our own. They'll add more Fortress songs as soon as they feel comfortable with it. I personally hope that will happen VERY soon since it would be so epic to see Lover, Bleed It Dry, Calm The Fire and Fortress live, but I'm sure this tour won't be their last and there will be other opportunities to hear those songs.

Concerning the strange fact that Calm The Fire was on the Manchester setlist - I don't want this to be understood as an accusation, but could you imagine that they maybe decided to not play it because of the bad crowd? I could understand that completely, since Calm The Fire is probably one of the favourite tracks off Fortress for the AB community and it could've been... well... some kind of 'wasted' on a lazy crowd.

Finally, I want to say a few things about Brent lip-syncing. I've been on four Shinedown gigs and never saw him doing that. He's a quite bad live singer, in my opinion, he messes up lots of notes and often changes the melody of the songs (not like Myles, but way more annoying) so he doesn't have to mess up even more. However, I've read something about him being kinda ill at the moment - so maybe his voice simply doesn't let him sing the whole setlist? If so, I find it completely legit to use lip-syncing - it's still better than to cancel the whole gig.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

just because there were empty seats doesn't mean it wasn't sold out. if the tickets were sold an the ticket holders didn't show for whatever reason, the tickets were still sold and it would be a sold out show. that's a possibility, especially if there weren't too many empty seats. could've been scalpers that bought the tix and were never able to sell them at their likely ridiculous prices. I know I saw them for Orlando starting at around a 50% markup. ridiculous.

GazzaScotland
Brand New Start

Post by GazzaScotland »

I think the "bad crowds" has a lot to do with the setlist. You have been people who have seen the band loads of times and fed up of the same songs then new fans who have been just been getting into the band off the back of the newest album and then hardly hearing any of those songs. It's no surprise the new songs got just about the best reaction.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

GazzaScotland wrote:I think the "bad crowds" has a lot to do with the setlist. You have been people who have seen the band loads of times and fed up of the same songs then new fans who have been just been getting into the band off the back of the newest album and then hardly hearing any of those songs. It's no surprise the new songs got just about the best reaction.
Although it's a shame to not f'n celebrate this awesome live band, no matter which songs they play. Sure, I'd be disappointed if they didn't improve their setlist for Berlin, but that wouldn't keep me from singing and screaming my lungs out of my body.

Patty
White Knuckled

Post by Patty »

I need to lose weight. My outer thighs are still so tight.
Credit to the original sig creator. (Please remind me who you are so I can credit you properly)

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Macca wrote:
In other news, is there a way for us to see which concerts are sold out? I think they did sell lots more tickets than last time around?
I don't think Glasgow quite sold out, but it was close. Sure I saw some empty seats in the seated sections.
What is this?

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

Lotha wrote:
Andy92 wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/skBFuDDBPrI[/youtube]
:lol Oh Myles...
See, this is priceless. I mean, I hate the fact that he forgot the lyrics to my favorite song, but it's things like that that make the show more special imo. :lol
:yeahthat :mkrules

Decay

Post by Decay »

Suvi wrote:
Lotha wrote:
Andy92 wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/skBFuDDBPrI[/youtube]
:lol Oh Myles...
See, this is priceless. I mean, I hate the fact that he forgot the lyrics to my favorite song, but it's things like that that make the show more special imo. :lol
:yeahthat :mkrules
I actually remember that, it was freaking hilarious, like the time Myles started singing lyrics to Still Remains while they were playing Come To Life :lol

Seaside53
Brand New Start

Post by Seaside53 »

Blackbird wrote: Finally, I want to say a few things about Brent lip-syncing. I've been on four Shinedown gigs and never saw him doing that. He's a quite bad live singer, in my opinion, he messes up lots of notes and often changes the melody of the songs (not like Myles, but way more annoying) so he doesn't have to mess up even more. However, I've read something about him being kinda ill at the moment - so maybe his voice simply doesn't let him sing the whole setlist? If so, I find it completely legit to use lip-syncing - it's still better than to cancel the whole gig.
I have to say i totally disagree with you. If you are ill, allegedly, then why pad out the gig with needless preaching, boring speeches about playing in your house, we're the customer, blah blah blah. He could have just cut the set short and played for 40 minutes, but instead they bored on for over 1 hour, plenty of which was taken up with pauses between songs, handing out flowers to people, pontificating, posturing and ludicrous repetitive monologues. There is simply no excuse whatsoever for miming to a backing tracking of your own voice. It's fraudulent and utterly dishonest. Also, the two guitarists on backing vocals were lip-synching to tracks at times also, so i guess this illness must have turned into a band epidemic?

I also think AB dropped a song off the set-list because Shinedown overran and there is a strict 11pm curfew due to local laws and environmental disturbances late at night. The dumbest thing i saw all night were men wearing Shinedown t-shirts, hardcore fans of this band, who were so wrapped up in their idols that they refused to believe, acknowledge and even detect that Brent was miming most of the songs. I'd like to think at AB fans are better educated than that.

Overall, the gig wasn't bad at all, i just didn't pay to see the Blackbird album performed for the most part and Fortress largely ignored. I'm not buying that they are not ready to play the songs yet. That isn't good enough. If you're not ready, don't tour. Start the tour when you're ready, it's as simple as that OR you run the risk of pissing off your largest fanbase in the world.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

You don't think though that if the fans wanted to hear the album version of the song they would just listen to it? If they are dishing out 40 plus dollars a night to see a show, and the lead singer literally doesn't sing one note the entire night that's cheap. If there were two options, see AB live lip syncing or don't see AB at all, I wouldn't pay 40 bucks to see myles dance up on stage to try to convey a fake reality where he actually is singing all of the notes. It isn't fair to the fans that he isn't singing live because he doesn't even play an instrument. Brent literally does nothing on stage except move around as if he actually is singing. That's not worth the money like tens of thousands are paying

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Seaside53 wrote:
Blackbird wrote: Finally, I want to say a few things about Brent lip-syncing. I've been on four Shinedown gigs and never saw him doing that. He's a quite bad live singer, in my opinion, he messes up lots of notes and often changes the melody of the songs (not like Myles, but way more annoying) so he doesn't have to mess up even more. However, I've read something about him being kinda ill at the moment - so maybe his voice simply doesn't let him sing the whole setlist? If so, I find it completely legit to use lip-syncing - it's still better than to cancel the whole gig.
I have to say i totally disagree with you. If you are ill, allegedly, then why pad out the gig with needless preaching, boring speeches about playing in your house, we're the customer, blah blah blah. He could have just cut the set short and played for 40 minutes, but instead they bored on for over 1 hour, plenty of which was taken up with pauses between songs, handing out flowers to people, pontificating, posturing and ludicrous repetitive monologues. There is simply no excuse whatsoever for miming to a backing tracking of your own voice. It's fraudulent and utterly dishonest. Also, the two guitarists on backing vocals were lip-synching to tracks at times also, so i guess this illness must have turned into a band epidemic?

I also think AB dropped a song off the set-list because Shinedown overran and there is a strict 11pm curfew due to local laws and environmental disturbances late at night. The dumbest thing i saw all night were men wearing Shinedown t-shirts, hardcore fans of this band, who were so wrapped up in their idols that they refused to believe, acknowledge and even detect that Brent was miming most of the songs. I'd like to think at AB fans are better educated than that.

Overall, the gig wasn't bad at all, i just didn't pay to see the Blackbird album performed for the most part and Fortress largely ignored. I'm not buying that they are not ready to play the songs yet. That isn't good enough. If you're not ready, don't tour. Start the tour when you're ready, it's as simple as that OR you run the risk of pissing off your largest fanbase in the world.
he's given the same lectures for like 3 years now. It's like he's a robot on stage, with every word and mood scripted

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Brent's speeches were alright at first. Now it's just monotonous and it's a waste of time honestly. They could probably play two or three more songs if he didn't mope around on stage for five minutes.
Thanks Timo!

Seaside53
Brand New Start

Post by Seaside53 »

austinjhnsn wrote:Brent's speeches were alright at first. Now it's just monotonous and it's a waste of time honestly. They could probably play two or three more songs if he didn't mope around on stage for five minutes.
Yep - for a while i thought i was in church. Thankfully my prayers were answered when he took his ass off the stage and made way for the real Gods of rock.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

^ chuckled

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

uctalum01 wrote:just because there were empty seats doesn't mean it wasn't sold out. if the tickets were sold an the ticket holders didn't show for whatever reason, the tickets were still sold and it would be a sold out show. that's a possibility, especially if there weren't too many empty seats. could've been scalpers that bought the tix and were never able to sell them at their likely ridiculous prices. I know I saw them for Orlando starting at around a 50% markup. ridiculous.
Possibly, but I know there were still seated tickets left a few days before the gig when I checked.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I literally buy all of my tickets from scalpers lol.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

lol.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

In Cardiff the Shinedown singer went for a little crowd surf a few songs in, I was kinda hoping the crowd would take him away :lol

Shinedown got such a great reception, and there were many people in Shinedown Tshirts, but I really can't understand what's to like? The performance was terrible, most of the set was the singer talking absolute bollocks, then I go on here and find out he lip-synced most of the performance? :lol

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Shinedown always have been and always will be a mediocre band. Nothing special about them at all. Brent was doing my head in on Monday with his speeches.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

If you watch youtube videos its literally the exact same speeches word for word. He's not even a fucking musician, he's an actor.