Just got back from the Cardiff show

Tell the world about your concert experiences.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Just got back from the Cardiff show

Post by BSC »

Hey guys, just got back, absolutely shattered so here's some my quick thoughts. Halestorm were good, the drummer needs to concentrate on sitting down more, can't stand average drummers that rely too much on showsmanship. I wouldn't buy one of their CDs, but I'd definitely see them live again. Shinedown, what the fuck was that all about? Terrible. Although it seemed a lot of people enjoyed them.

Alter Bridge played really well, standard set list but with Waters Rising instead of Uninvited, and Lzzy joined Myles for Watch Over You! Myles absolutely owned it, definitely the best I've heard him sing. Every song got a good fan response, especially the Fortress songs, people went nuts for Cry of Achilles, Farther From the Sun sounds beast live, Waters Rising needs a bit more practice. I can understand why they're apprehensive to remove the BB songs, as the fans love them, but the fans loved every song as well. We don't need to hear BtC, BNS, Rise Today and Come to Life every single show do we? Metalingus was really good, probably the song of the night.

My biggest complaint other than the songs included in the setlist, was the order of the setlist. They got the Fortress songs out of the way before the first half of their set, so I almost forgot what album they were promoting, they need to add more Fortress stuff and include some new songs towards the end of the set. A few people kept on chanting 'Fortress' which is cool. I thought towards the end of the show the set got quite boring, Blackbird, Watch Over You, Rise Today and then Open Your Eyes. It was all a bit too mid-tempo, definitely needed something like One Day Remains, Buried Alive, or any other Fortress to pick up the pace.

Sorry if it's not very well written, also apologise if this show is being discussed elsewhere.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Re: Just got back from the Cardiff show

Post by Ryan »

Don't hold out for ODR the song. It won't make many appearances.
Photobucket cash grab.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Cheers for the quick post BSC! Glad you enjoyed and I can empathise with the points you made.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Did they harmonize well in the chorus? I think the final chorus in waters rising is the best these two have ever harmonized

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They don't harmonise in the final chorus do they? Just Mark doing both.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Also, just another quick point. When I noticed AB were keeping Before Tomorrow Comes in the set, I was a bit surprised. But after hearing it tonight I can totally understand why, it's really good live, although on the album it's probably one of my least favourites.

The harmonies in Waters Rising were a bit all over the place, I'm not sure about the final chorus, they probably did. Myles was the only one to sing the 'LOOOSSTTT' bit (although he looked confused as to why Mark didn't), and they both skipped the 'at the end of days' bit at the end. I'm glad I got to see Waters Rising, probably one of my favourites, Uninvited would have been cool too, but oh well. Myles gave Mark a little hug after, which was cool.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

I'm sure they swapped it out to try it. They'll get better with it and then I'm sure they'll add it in or swap it with a BB song. At least they played it though. That's a good sign. They've gotten Mark singing lead on an AB song live out of the way now. Should open the door for Words. We know they want to do that one live. This should help ease that in a bit I'd think.
Photobucket cash grab.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

Bleed it dry is next I bet.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Ryan wrote:I'm sure they swapped it out to try it. They'll get better with it and then I'm sure they'll add it in or swap it with a BB song. At least they played it though. That's a good sign. They've gotten Mark singing lead on an AB song live out of the way now. Should open the door for Words. We know they want to do that one live. This should help ease that in a bit I'd think.
Is a good point, may have also wanted to take out The Uninvited to rest his voice for the main event. Honestly though, Words Darker is now well down on my list of songs I'm hoping to be added, there's too much Fortress goodness still untapped.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Wow. Sounds like an awesome song, BSC. Glad to see my favorite Fortress tune is getting played now.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I think either Bleed It Dry or Lover is next. Bleed It Dry is a heavy song that features one of Mark's best solos, it should be one they're eager to play. And Lover's the next single, it should be played pretty soon. The fact that they practiced it during Sound Check today is a good sign.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

AB4Lyfe wrote:The fact that they practiced it during Sound Check today is a good sign.
They practised WDTTW during soundchecks a lot on ABIII tour and it has not been played yet....
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Which was addressed by me earlier when I said "just because they play it at soundcheck doesnt mean they will live"

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

They practiced Calm the fire instrumentals at Birmingham

http://youtu.be/bEKWhbIdwME
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

good shit.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Ubik wrote:
Ryan wrote:Honestly though, Words Darker is now well down on my list of songs I'm hoping to be added, there's too much Fortress goodness still untapped.
This. As much as I love that song, I'd rather hear the new songs played live. Especially if they're going to play Words at the expense of a Fortress song.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

Will wrote:They practiced Calm the fire instrumentals at Birmingham

http://youtu.be/bEKWhbIdwME
Holy crap, why aren't they playing this song live yet already? It sounds absolutely brilliant!
"Do you believe in destiny?"

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Sweet jebus, that was immense. Needs to happen.

snowman
Bought The CDs

Post by snowman »

:yeahthat That was amazing!

As much as I love hearing Myles sing, it's cool to hear just the instrumental part of the song without vocals. Sounds like that will be an awesome song when the *hopefully* bring it out live!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

That was so good! Why won't they play it:(
Thanks Timo!